Coxcidea.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Tsa la gi

Coxcidea.

Post by Tsa la gi »

Am haveing trouble with coxcidea, sp? Took a pup in this morn, vet wouldn`t give me enough med, for two more pups. They eat good wormed them out like I was supposed to.

Cost &57 , she has to see the other pup another &57. Does any one have a home remedy,or can you suggest a supply place to buy in quanity from? These pups are running all over the place they do not act sick. She also said spray pens with bleach.

Thanks in adv
Chuck

bill huttozac

Re: Coxcidea.

Post by bill huttozac »

tsa la gi - For coccidia, I treat with Flagyl (Mertronidazole) in tablet form. It is prescribed by Vets, and it appears that your Vet is a little too hungry for a few bucks. Flagyl must be given daily for a period of no less that 5 days. As you know, the infection is contageous and spreds through the kennel. Your Vet should have recommended that all of your dogs be treated, as a preventive, if nothing more. I buy Falgyl, 500 tablets at a time (500mg) from my Vet for $80.00. Since I keep 8 to 10 hounds, it is the most economical way to go. Coccidia, if untreated, will progress from the acute stage to the Cronic stage. Needless to say early treatment is a must.

Note of interest; Giardi is a infection very similar to Coccidia in both symptoms and treatment. Both dog owners and Vets often misdiagnose the problem. I find it easy, safe and good insurance to treat for both at the same time. Albon (which is Sulfadimethoxine) is the prescribed med. Again, this med is by prescription from a Vet and is not unreasonably priced. I get a bottle of 473ml for $90.00. Treats a lot of dogs.

As for a source of meds. Most of the pet supply companys will sell it to you if your vet will call or fax a prescription to them. Frankly, I am not sure that your Vet will be so accomadating. I do not have a name handy for a Pet Supply Company but I feel certain that some kind soul will read this and post some information.

By the way, if you bleach the kennell be sure to dilute it with water first and let the kennel dry throughly before putting the pups back in.

Wishing you good luck with the pups. Finding another Vet too.

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

Get a gallon of sulfadimethoxine 12.5% solution. Mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water or 1 oz per two gallons. Use this for their water and ya don't have to worry about it. It is $50 per gallon in Revival. The gallon will last you forever. Same stuff used for chickens, turkeys, and cattle.

Maybe just lucky but I've never had or seen pups with coccidia younger than 7-8 weeks old, seems as long as they were nursing and not under the stress after weaning, they were ok, also, never had coccidia in winter, always in the heat humid of summer.

The way I understand it, coccidia is everywhere. All dogs have it in their digestive system. It is only when a dog or pup's immune system gets down that they have problems with it. Usually a pup when weaned stresses out and causes a problem. Older dogs could be run down, cold weather, extremely hot weather, filthy kennels, worms, and illness does coccidia effect them. You can use “Stall Dry” underneath their bedding to keep their sleeping area dry. This also can be purchased at TSC.

Albon 12.5% Solution
$44.99 per gallon
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

you can get Flagyl (Mertronidazole) online maybe even off eboy or vet supply

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

I have always used Albon for Coccidia. Your vet should have given you enough meds to treat them all. Shame on them!
I have large old trees that attract a lot of birds to my place. With the birds come coccidia thought the feces.
Because Coccidia is in my area, I do not let my pups younger than 3 months touch the ground. Seems to be the only way to keep them from getting sick until they get a little older and stronger to fight off illness. For play time they come in the house and get to romp around. The rest of the day they stay in an above ground kennel.
Don't squat with your spurs on!

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Chuck ,
Check out this web-site http://beaglesunlimited.com
You will find good useful info to treat this & lots more . I use Lamberts Vet Supplies (http://www.lambertvetsupply.com ) to get most all my needed supplies , shots or whatever I need , if you call ask for Shannon , Tell her Randy Vanosdale said to call , I think her ext : 10 or 110 unless changed , she a world of info & help.
Best of Luck
Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Albon

TC

Post by TC »

You can buy albon by the gallon or smaller amounts at http://www.revivalanimal.com or you can buy Corrid at Rural King in the medication section. Use a peptobismol cap of the stuff in a gallon of water and don't let them have any other thing to drink out of but that bucket so they get the medicine. It is used for chickens so look in that section if you can't find it with the antibiotics and other over the counter stuff. To ease the tummy you can also give Kaopectate about 3 cc for a pup this will releave some of the stomach cramps.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Thanks Guy`s
I finally got hold of Pet Med in Fla. Have read all the replys and will call one of them tomorrow.I did bleach the pen and gave each of the pups a pill, I have enough for two more days,by then I may have some shiped in. These vets are pretty money hungry. Again thanks you have all been very helpful.

Chuck

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

I bought sul-met in powder form from a place that sold bird and poultry supplys. A tea spoon in a 5 gallon pail is all it takes for about a month. It was less than 20 bucks and I have alot of it left after a couple of years.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hey Chuck,
Coccidia likes the dark and damp. Sun is good, I throw a dusting of the clay oil dry in the dogbox to keep it dry.
Seems 10-14 days getting the pups clean and rid of it.
I've used albon and valbazen to clear it up.
Good luck.