question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dale

question

Post by dale »

a buddy of mine told me cedar chips can ruin a dogs nose any truth in this :confused:
DFG

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

i dont think so - but have heard that before- ive used them without a problem- i use white cdar - get it from mill - have never used red cedar straight - mix a little in sometimes- repels fleas pretty good. pete

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

I've used cedar for years on the advice of my vet. Had a dog's eyes get infected from straw many years ago. I use it in their dog houses, in my dog box, and even sprinkle it on the ground in my kennels to keep them smelling fresh.

I can drop the tailgate and the dogs will be right on track. There is absolutely no truth in cedar affecting their noses.

I have also found if you keep plenty in the houses and you have good insulated houses, it will keep the dogs nice and toasty even in sub-zero weather. You just have to add some more cedar once or twice a week. There is no reason to mix with straw or hay to keep them warm, especially if they are sharing house with other dog.
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

Emery

Post by Emery »

I read on a post on the Better Beagling site that someone claims that it does and there are studies to prove it, his wife is either a vet or works at a vet clinic. Anyway, I e-mailed him to give me a study to reference so I could investigate it myself (not trying to get anyone fired up) and I never heard from him. So, until I do I would say that cedar doesn't do anything to your dog's nose.

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

Emery,

All I can say is that if cedar does interfere with their smelling I'm giddy just thinking how my dogs would do without cedar, because I've seen them run in some terrible conditions.

So I think there is a reason you never heard back about the study! It's hogwash! Trust me folks.....cedar will not cause you any problems!
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

Emery

Post by Emery »

That was my point exactly... Maybe I didn't make myself clear...

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32