IFC CowBay Striker.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

IFC CowBay Striker.

Post by Casey Harner »

As a rabbit dog what does this dog possess?? Does he run a good solid line?? How's his nose and his brains?? Is he or was he consistent?? How's his overall search in a check?? Was he loose in the check area or tight?? What his he throwing??? I don't really care to much about his trial record, just as a rabbit dog/gundog?? Has he been known to throw mouthy pups??? Whose has he crossed with so far that has worked???

Thanks.

Any info or numbers is very much appreciated.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

klrconcrete

Re: IFC CowBay Striker.

Post by klrconcrete »

This dog is deceased - for at least a couple of years I think.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Casey Board member CAP owned this dog. He was a very pretty beagle. Almost looked like one i use to have. He'd be able to answer your questions
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Casey, I saw him run at Andy P's pen. I'm friends with Carl Post who owned him. When I saw him he was 10 years old. He was very smooth on the line, he just flowed, no herky, jerky movements, zig-zagging, over running or extra mouth. I watched him run with IFC Dirty Pond Liaka one day. And they circled the rabbit right too us and the area they ran the rabbit in was open hardwoods. We saw the rabbit circle and everybit of the dogs tracking the line. They straddled the line and just ran text book. Like I said he was 10 so had slowed down a bit from what I was told. But you could tell the dog had tools and he acted like it on the line, complete confidence. I was told he didn't win all the trials he did by being a speed demon, he won them with checking and solid hound work, he made the turns on the rougher dogs. Anyway hope that helps......DH

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

Ran with him when he was young. He was a line control,lots of hunt, searched the check area as long as needed. He would re-start a long loss from the point of loss most times. Seen a few of his offspring that has the same qualities. I have a 3 year old grand pup of his that got alot of his nice houndy looks, mine is exceptionally fast, but still has tons of nose.

CAP

Post by CAP »

IFC Cowbay Striker was simply the best gundog I have and probably ever will be lucky enough to put my collar on. The first time I saw him run he was 8 ½ and a few months later watching him a second time I set out to convince his owner to sell him. I had never seen before or since a hound run the line solo like him for long unbroken periods and the uncanny ability when he made a short over run to return to the exact point of loss claim and go with so little wasted motion. Often in a pack he would stop and be working back the short distance to the point of loss before the leaders would even halt their forward progress, such was his confidence that he was right, regardless of what the others were doing.

Casey you asked about Nose, Brains and Consistency. He was exceptional in all three areas. Actually he only lacked two things the kept him for being a better trial hound while I owned him. Dirt kicking explosiveness out of the check and sheer top speed, neither of which is needed in a gundog. He still did manage to place in 46 trials in six States & Provinces in six different trial formats without ever having the pressure of trialing in the big male class effect his running style whatsoever. I had tried out many before him and many since he passed three years and one month ago tomorrow. :cry: None have been his equal as a complete hound.

Here is a comment from a judge who saw him when he was five.
I remember judging him a few yrs ago in Cape Breton, and at that point he was the first hound I ever gave a 10pt check to. It was a pounding day, a big pack of big males and he not only did most of the check work when there was one but was always in the top three coming across. The final nail in the coffin was when the rabbit came out of the thicket, ran across the road and stopped just before going into the thicket , turned and ran side to side up the rd about 200ft and then in the woods. The pack came out him leading, stopped just before going into the other side letting the pack fly right over top of him and started picking it up the rd, well the pack turned and followed him until they came to a big puddle on the rd, the whole pack but him entered the puddle, laying there watching him pick this line up the rd, and turned right in where the rabbit went in and then really started to motor and that is when the rest of the pack decided to get out of the puddle and go join him. He was some good that day!
As a producer he was bred mostly to harder going females in hopes that they would get his best qualities with the extra foot. Pups from just about every litter placed in trials and several finished but most were tweeners with not the speed to lead in Large Pack and not quite close enough for Northeast SPO. They are generally medium fast, bold, intelligent, biddable, straight legged & well built, full of hunt, posses solid mechanics, work near the point of loss for quite a while, and are level headed. One negative is most lack is his superior nose. I have heard from many hunters who do not trial that are very satisfied with the all around solid dogs he produced and had more many more calls from gunners looking for pups than trialers when he was here.
Carl Post
BeaglePedigree.com
Access to 80,000+ hounds and growing, all available for $12 a year.