STD"S in dogs?????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

south mtn beagles

STD"S in dogs?????

Post by south mtn beagles »

O.k here is my question to you all that know alot more about breeding than I do,I have a male tri-color that I have bred to two different females over the last 2 years,the first litter only 1 out of 7 made it then I bred him to another female a few weeks ago and she had 5 pups and all but 1 died,now mind that it's been 100 degree's both times of birthing with fans set up at the puppy pen to help cool them,But I had a vet tech to help to care for them while I was away and she said that my male may have a std that could cause the pups to die,what is it called and what is the treatment?? and does it transfer to the pups??

Thanks

TC

Re: STD"S in dogs?????

Post by TC »

From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I think you dog did his job. He caused the eggs to become fertilized and determined the sex of each puppy.
The English say to use a masculine male to keep the constitution of your puppies strong, some males coming from weedy or runty stock pass that weakness on to their offspring.
The dog days of summer are the most unhealthy and difficult to raise pups. Have the bitches raised successful litters from other dogs?
I like puppies born in March/april/may or i'll breed the Autumn heatcycle for winter pups if necessary.
Fadeing puppy, bad milk and the stress of the heat can all kill your puppies.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

If I thought for a minute that one of my dogs had a STD, I would not breed it until I had it checked by a Vet and received a Negative test results. If the test came back Positive, I would have every dog in my Kennel tested and the infected dog or dogs, nuetered or spayed. In my area STD is not a problem but it is still a good policy to require a current STD Test when breeding to a male of female outside of your Kennel. Or for that matter, when buying a dog that will become a part of your breeding program.
Breeding is rough on the female and often the male will have a low sperm count. Older females are noted for releasing a small number of healthy eggs to be fertilized by the male.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Yea alot of breeders want a brucalosis test before breeding but thats not the only virus that can be transfered thru breeding not many know adult dogs can carry pravo and all the other viruses and not be sick and pass it to the other dog and pups

south mtn beagles

This male is now about 3.5 years old and I've bred him to a smaller much faster female hoping to get some where in the middle which I did with the 1 that made it and the other 6 died before the two week passed.now I have bred him to a female that is about the same size with a killer nose,good hunt and fair speed and again I had 5 pups and all passed but one and he seems to be a fighter and I haven't been home but since this saturday so I haven't had the chance to have either checked for any thing,I had asked a vet tech what would cause two litters from the same male to die off this fast and the std is the only thing she could come up with,without doing testing.so I'm just grasping at straws at this point trying to fix what ever problem I may have going on.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Have either of the females you bred raised successful litters before, or was this their first litters?
Brucellosis, puppies are usually aborted or absorbed and no living puppies result.
I don't know why the quick judgment on the dog, the bitch would be my suspect, especially if the puppies died over a fortnight.

mjd

Post by mjd »

S.R.Patch wrote:Have either of the females you bred raised successful litters before, or was this their first litters?
Brucellosis, puppies are usually aborted or absorbed and no living puppies result.
I don't know why the quick judgment on the dog, the bitch would be my suspect, especially if the puppies died over a fortnight.
this is my thinking also,,guess simple minds think alike :nod: ;)

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hi Monte!
Good to hear from you.
Are you going to be in shape for a hare hunt?
Hope your doing well... :D

south mtn beagles

1st litter on the smaller female and she was a pup when I got her,this female I'm not sure of cause she came ater in her life but for now the little guy is holding his on if the mom would stop taking him out of her indoor kennel and pushing him across the floor like a mop

dave g

Post by dave g »

Well there is your problem. The females and the heat. The bitches don't want the extra heat on them. Also do you have the fan directly on the pups. If so I don't think direct wind is good on any newborns. Get yourself a cooler whelping area or breed in fall and if money permitting find a good proven mother bitch to breed to next time. a buddy of mine had a dog that was just a horrible mother. She would kill darn near all of her pups and she also passed the poor mother genes onto her female offspring.

Good luck, dave.

south mtn beagles

[img][IMG]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/6370/0013c.th.jpg[/img][/img]

This is my whelping pen and a picture of how the fan is placed,the fan is a little small but that will be changed in the near future if this heat dont change and as far as the dogs go,I'm really thinking of starting over with just about the whole lot of them,several of these dog's were just givin to me and was told they were top notch and after I get them home they will track but it will either be brace style or whitetails which works for me during deer season as I rent one of my males out for tracking wounded deer but the others,they may be moving away and become someones pet!!!I'm done with the freebie's!!!!

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

Your hounds look great, as far as I'm concerned. However, if you ain't happy with 'em, ship 'em out! Run what you like is common theme here. If you're not happy with them, start looking for homes for them, and start getting something that suits your style better. Lots of luck...and have fun! That is what it's really all about.

Joe

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

sounds more like a victim of the heat and a combination of just 2 cases of bad luck back to back. My worst liiter happend last year at this time in the heat. The female lost 10 out of 13 within 24 hours. Try breeding on the other heat cycle in order to ge pups in the cooler months.
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

Sounds like Canine Herpes or what some people call fading puppy syndrom.

Here is a link at Marvistat with information about the infection.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ca ... ction.html
Don't squat with your spurs on!