How often do you run your hounds in this heat ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JUDE

Re: How often do you run your hounds in this heat ?

Post by JUDE »

hillbillyridgerunner wrote:
JUDE wrote:No Johnny I'm talking about Martin County . Most people won't even attend a trial
there during the summer .
i drive a coal truck over at CT and we've been doing our part to get help with the snake problem around martin co. i think we're up to about 17 rattler's and god knows how many copperheads
Wow 17 rattlers !!! for those who don't know CT'S office is located just the
opposite side of the road from Greasey . I know a few of those drivers use
to work at Marco .

hillbillyridgerunner

Post by hillbillyridgerunner »

it sure is rattler country over there... i live in knott county its not as bad, but i dont think i would be runnin in this kinda heat in that country. daggone hot summers :(

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I'm just curious..you guys that run in the heat, how is the running? Do the rabbits co-operate, it seems to me they would just say underground and try to stay cool also. Does the hot weather make for short spotty running?
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

try to run in an area with plenty of water, I've found as long as the dogs have plenty of cool water around they take the heat alot better than i do, it's me who does'nt want to be out in this crap, my dogs go nuts to get out of the kennel lol. When i'm hot my patience grows thinner and i think i'm more critical of my dogs in the heat than i should be b/c i don't want to be out there i'd rather be in the air conditioning.
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

R.W.Hawk

Post by R.W.Hawk »

NEVER, They stay in the kennel May 15th thru Sept 1st. I run, "run to catch" hounds, and they would literaly run themselfs to death, trying to catch that rabbit. Beginning in September, I bring them along slowly, and increase their time on the ground each week thereafter.

Newt

Post by Newt »

I usually turn loose two every day at abut 7:00 AM and let them run until about noon. It has been 65-75 degrees when I turn loose and above ninty when I call them in. I leave a shock collar on them and if they don't come in, when there is a check, I beep them and they come home. One day I left a coule out all day. It was above ninty at noon but it came a shower at about 1:00 PM so I decided to leave them out.

R.W.Hawk

Post by R.W.Hawk »

Newt wrote:I usually turn loose two every day at abut 7:00 AM and let them run until about noon. It has been 65-75 degrees when I turn loose and above ninty when I call them in. I leave a shock collar on them and if they don't come in, when there is a check, I beep them and they come home. One day I left a coule out all day. It was above ninty at noon but it came a shower at about 1:00 PM so I decided to leave them out.

and it's actions like that brings the wrath of groups such as PETA down on the houndsmen. In their eyes, that is animal abuse, and quite frankly it might well be.

hillbillyridgerunner

R.W.Hawk wrote:
Newt wrote:I usually turn loose two every day at abut 7:00 AM and let them run until about noon. It has been 65-75 degrees when I turn loose and above ninty when I call them in. I leave a shock collar on them and if they don't come in, when there is a check, I beep them and they come home. One day I left a coule out all day. It was above ninty at noon but it came a shower at about 1:00 PM so I decided to leave them out.

and it's actions like that brings the wrath of groups such as PETA down on the houndsmen. In their eyes, that is animal abuse, and quite frankly it might well be.

i dont ever remember a dog i've had getting hurt from getting toned

rabbit runer

Post by rabbit runer »

i run mine on the weekends for right now because they are pups but i run them for about 7 hours total and i do it in the morning becaues it is alot cooler
BRIAN
Visit my website - http://morabbitdogs.webs.com/
Team Track Em Down.......Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

R.W.Hawk wrote:NEVER, They stay in the kennel May 15th thru Sept 1st. I run, "run to catch" hounds, and they would literaly run themselfs to death, trying to catch that rabbit. Beginning in September, I bring them along slowly, and increase their time on the ground each week thereafter.
Lol sounds like i have to see you're dog!!!!!!!!!!!!! they must be awesome! if i buy one it will eventualy get lit up with shock collar though don't want p.e.t.a coming after me!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

JCM

Post by JCM »

R.W.Hawk wrote:NEVER, They stay in the kennel May 15th thru Sept 1st. I run, "run to catch" hounds, and they would literaly run themselfs to death, trying to catch that rabbit. Beginning in September, I bring them along slowly, and increase their time on the ground each week thereafter.
WOW, now that's some desire.

I run every day, regardless of the temperature. On the hotter days I make sure to run where there is a creek for dogs to cool down. I guess I'm lucky that I am not running any "run to catch" hounds. In a weeks time, all of the kennels would be empty. :lol:

Seriously though, running in the summer puts dogs in the absolute best condition. Dogs can and do adapt to running in the heat. And when fall hits with cool days, watch out!

R.W.Hawk

Post by R.W.Hawk »

lol geez my comments were not meant to be inflammatory. "run to catch" is a common term in beagling ,Hounds that run hard, fast , and with heads up, are run to catch hounds. I've only been at this since 1959, i know i still have a lot to learn.
nor did i say or mean, using a shock collar is abusive,if that were true, i'd be guilty. but i did say that running for 5 hours in 90 degree temperature would be interpreted as abusive by groups such as PETA.

hillbillyridgerunner

R.W.Hawk wrote:lol geez my comments were not meant to be inflammatory.
nor did i say or mean, using a shock collar is abusive
R.W.Hawk wrote:
Newt wrote: and quite frankly it might well be.

sorry if i misinterpeted it friend

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

Househounds wrote:I'm just curious..you guys that run in the heat, how is the running? Do the rabbits co-operate, it seems to me they would just say underground and try to stay cool also. Does the hot weather make for short spotty running?
We get hour plus runs on a regular basis running in mostly cut over if you can get on a big rabbit. Starting after 7:30 pm it is not unusual to run until well after dark. The male rabbits are traveling and will sometimes go out of hearing and back. People would be suprised at how good the running is on days that seem like the conditions are tough.
I usually take a jug of water for the dogs and a cooler for me. I give mine ice for the ride home. They crunch it like kids eating jaw breakers.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

It's been pretty amazing here this year. Normally when it gets in the 90 range the running does get spotty at times. I don't know what is different this year but I have been having real good running.