New Beagler?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brushybayoubeagles

New Beagler?

Post by brushybayoubeagles »

I am new to beagling, and I have a few pups I am wanting to break off deer. I was wandering if anyone has used the innotek adv-1000p training collar for breaking off deer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Kyle

SwampBuck

Re: New Beagler?

Post by SwampBuck »

Pups? how old?

brushybayoubeagles

Post by brushybayoubeagles »

I am sending them off to the starting pen next weekend. They will be there for a month. They havent ran off game or anything just wanting to know how to stop them before they do or when they do. They are 6 months old, thanks.

team fudd

Post by team fudd »

just my opinion but you cant beat tri tronics. You get what you pay for, there are no bargains in shock collars as far as I am concerned and if you gotta pay buy the best. Good luck with your hounds, nothin more exciting than new dogs!

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

I agree with Tri-Tronics. There are lots of brands out there, but if you are serious about this sport invest in a good set of collars. I finally did and it was a great move. Also, just a pet peave of mine, if you could please list your location either in your signature or your information so that we can tell what part of the world you are in it may help others in assisting you in the future.

Thanks
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

If they havn't ran a deer then there is no reason to break them off deer. You can do more damage then good trying to shock dogs at a young age. My suggestion is to get them started and keep them on rabbit scent. Keep them away from deer. Then when you do encounter a deer in the field get a hold of the dogs and let them know that deer are no good, Tell them sternally "NO" and push them to the ground. Keep at it. If they do take a deer then you can use the juice. I don't know if it's the blood line I'm running or what but 90% of the pups I've started never took to a deer, so theres a chance at least that you won't have a problem. Where I live in NY we are loaded with deer. In the mean time you can buy a shock collar and let the dogs wear them and when you call them you can "TONE" them with no stimulation. When they come reward them with a treat and tell them "good dog"! Then when they start not listening in the future you can Tone them and then Lightly give them some electric on the lowest setting of 1 or 2. Thats all it usually takes and they learn. I never try to use to much electric on a young dog. I had a friend that had a nice male. Anyway he hit the dog so hard at an early age the dog was afraid to venture out to far to hunt andif he got bumped at all with electric the dog would come in and just sit at his feet for the rest of the day. Any way this is just my upinion. By the way when you do buy an e-collar buy a Tritronics or Dogdtra.....DH