lesage patch dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

shakenbakebeagles

lesage patch dogs

Post by shakenbakebeagles »

does anyone know the origin and the beggining of these dogs, how they got their names ect?

Tsa la gi

Re: lesage patch dogs

Post by Tsa la gi »

They were bred by Mike Roach Lesage W VA.

shakenbakebeagles

are they some kind of bloodline from the sugar patch or supieror patch bred dogs?

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

He never had any from me. I was there once in 95' .

edited; due to poor judgment and a old bur I carry between me and the saddle... :(
Last edited by S.R.Patch on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I bought 2 pups that were supposed to be out of Lesage Bill Patch. The guy who was selling them said that he didn't own the litter and was selling them for a friend. I should have walked away right then and there but I'm a trusting kinda guy and I bought them. At 9 months they looked like they were part basset with long bodies and crooked front legs. Needless to say they didn't stay at my kennel much longer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the name, I'm sure there are alot of nice Lesage hounds out there. My experience was more the breeder than the bloodline.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Not out to bash anyone or their hounds , we have patch hounds , and I've had 2 dogs from that line and either suited me , didn't like the lack of hunt and the conformation was less that desirable when they matured , but I'm hard to please ;)
Regards
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

shakenbakebeagles

ive got a little 2 month old female from dewey hrless and im so impressed with her already i believe i'll be oing to buy another one before long, she is only two months and weve been pullinga rabbit without her seeing it then letting her track it shes been tracking it directly where we drag it, we put a rabbit in a cage and let her carry on barking and trying to get it then picked her up put the rabbit back in its kennel and let her down she went over there went in the cage we had the rabbit in and scented the ground and barked on the scent.. shes still a baby i have no doubt she will be a rabbit dog.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

I'm not familiar with any other Lesage hounds besides LPRCH/BENCH CHAMPION Lesage Bill Patch , so I can't speak for the other Lesage Hounds and can't say what happened with Mike Roach as a breeder other than hearsay (I have never dealt with Mr.Roach and I don't doubt Mr.Patch's word). I don't want to step on anyones toes or start any arguments so I'll first tell what I know about LPRCH/BCH Lesage Bill Patch . Bill was DNA tested and certified , was a very well built hound BCH , appeared to be a full 15 (never measured him personally) but he was a Bench Champion . Bill wasted no time hunting and hunting fast and hard when cut loose (what I call a bird dog type hunt) when I seen him , this was at around 9 years of age and it would have taken a very good hound to have kept up with him imo . The ones that came from Bill with poor confirmation or ANY lack of hunt must've been from the females side and I'm sure I could research a little and come up with the females pedigrees for anyone interested (probably could find out which Patch bloodlines were the cause of it) . I personally am not a big fan of Bill crossed on other Patch bloodlines (it seemed to take away from Bills ability in the field) I'm not a huge fan of "pure" Patch at all however I'm sure there's probably some that would compliment him well ( Mr.Chuck Norris or Mr.SR Patch to name a couple that I know may match up very well ... I know Mike Crabtree's Honey female has crossed great on Bill's offspring but was a outcross of about 1/4 Northway 3/4 Patch.)

LPRCH/BCH Lesage Bill Patch was he a producer ?

A few of the hounds I'm familiar with and some of the reasons I love Lesage Bill Patch so well are his outcrosses . To my knowledge Bill was outcrossed twice on Northway females . During one of those breedings Bill produced GRCH Roll On Buddy owned by Mr.John Smith . During the second breeding he produced my Butterscotch male ( I'm NO trialer although I think trials are great for the beagle breed as long as we keep them in the right prospective ) I have went through several nice males (some "Pure" Patch some not) some selling as high as around the $1500.00 although that contained Turbo & Branko bloodlines and yes the owners have been well pleased or have not complained . I currently ONLY own one adult male Shyann JUDE'S Butterscotch (named after my lil sister because she is the "co-owner") Butterscotch has been for years and will remain to be my measuring stick as long as we're both able and alive or I can find a better all around rabbit hound that can do it all to my liking . During the second breeding Bill also produced LPRCH Tan Man whom I sold to a gentleman I have the upmost respect for , when Tan Man was around 16 mos of age , he CHAMPIONED Tan Man in 6 hunts and to my understanding he recieved a offer he could not refuse . I have not been able to track down any more hounds from Bills second outcross but I'd love to own a female if one was out there call me 1-606-395-9898 if you have one .

Can LPRCH/BCH Lesage Bill Patch offspring reproduce ?

My Butterscotch male currently has one 2 year old litter on the ground . The only one that went to a trialing home made LPRCH at around 17 mos of age and currently has 3 wins in the Champion class . I have gotten good reports on the one that went to a hunting home and the ones that went to pet homes as well . Does this mean that Butterscotch is going to be a producer ? Hard to say , he only gets bred by myself to my personal females at this time but 100% is a good percentage . Butterscotch has been laid up all summer (rattlers) and most of last winter (my fault) but when I take him out again I expect Extreme Hard Hunt , rabbits to be jumped , speed to spare and a correct mouth I don't expect him to be perfect due to his laying up but he's never been the high maintenance type .

LPRCH Tan Man - As I know of he's never been bred and went to a non trialer when he was sold but I would breed to him in a heartbeat if I didn't have Butterscotch .

GRCH Roll On Buddy - Last but certianly not least Buddy is much older than Butter or LPRCH Tan Man . Buddy has probably produced as many Champion hounds per breeding percentage as most any hound out there . I started to name as many of them as I could but I knew I couldn't do them all justice . If Mike Crabtrees web site was working it would have helped . Here's a few anyway - GRCH CAUDILL'S CRANKIN CORVETTE , LPRCH CINNAMON RUN HUNTER , LPRCH CINNAMON RUN HOT CANDY , LPRCH LEE'S TNT MAX , LPRCH CRAZY HORSE , LPRCH SMITHS HUSSLIN BERTHA , GRCH JT'S BEEFHIDE BEN , LPRCH BEEFHIDE CREEK JR ... These are the ones that I can look up and I'd guess there's more . In fact I'm guessing there's some CHAMPION Grandpups out of Buddy as well . I'm sure there's several on the board that can tell us more .

Now I'm not downing anyone elses hounds and I've owned or watched them from all over and several different Patch lines , (No need to down anyones hounds or thier name needlessly) . I hope this post doesn't start a war and I hope no one slings any rocks my way . PLEASE I hate a rock fight !!! If I got any names incorrect I appologize and I appologize to all the owners of Champion hounds that desend from Lesage Bill that I left out .

I'm not disputing ANYONES word !!! These are just my experiences and believe me , I strive for the perfect beagle ...

Fine print : I'm NOT a typer I punch the buttons so it's taken me a long time to write and check and check and check to try to voice my opinion without anyone feeling the need to have a "come back" against me .
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Buddy crossed on Honey twice. 3 pups out of the 1st litter. I culled 1 Hunter and Boomer championed with Hunter needing 1 win to Grand that He should get anytime.
The second cross produced Champions Pee Wee, Max , Shame, and Grand Candy. 2 more out there are decent dog. Hope this helps.
Buddy crossed on Bee is showing some real promise also. If you have a nice one, Buddy is throwing nice pups. Get it while you can, he aint no spring chicken.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Buddy ,
As to my comments I'm not downing Bill , never seen him , only speaking of the 2 I had & some others I've seen and none were out of Bill .
Bill was DNA tested and certified
But I will comment on your DNA statement , unless his sire & dam and theirs were also DNA tested , or any hounds DNA you have nothing to measure by , you must have all these to know whats what , any hound can be tested and certified , but I'm sure you know this . With things being what they are anything is possible , no offence meant by in statemnets I've stated to anyone . Most all of us Patch owners know Mr. Roach had issue's with AKC , so I'm ONLY saying what know & seen .
Regards Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

mike crabtree wrote:Buddy crossed on Honey twice. 3 pups out of the 1st litter. I culled 1 Hunter and Boomer championed with Hunter needing 1 win to Grand that He should get anytime.
The second cross produced Champions Pee Wee, Max , Shame, and Grand Candy. 2 more out there are decent dog. Hope this helps.
Buddy crossed on Bee is showing some real promise also. If you have a nice one, Buddy is throwing nice pups. Get it while you can, he aint no spring chicken.
Thanks for adding that Mike I thought you would be able to help but had no idea there were that many CH hounds out of only two breedings .

Randy , Bill is the only one I'm speaking of when it comes to Lesage Hounds . I know that any AKC Reg hounds can only be taken back so far with DNA . You'de probably be shocked to hear the stories I've heard from other breeders but they had to start somewhere I guess . I do know from what I've seen out of Bill that he is the real deal and so are many of his pups and grandpups . Thanks for clearing that up .

Keep em running
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

NCPatch

Post by NCPatch »

I went up to mike roach place in feb. of 1996 and picked up two pups out of two differant litters . One of the pups turned out to be the best dog I have ever seen run a rabbit. She was out of Russel creek hanna patch and Lesage dan patch . This dog ran a line like it was painted on the ground. No swinging or over runing. She handled like a dream. deerbroke with one treatment of tri tronic. never ran anything but a rabbit after that. I was going to trial her and she was stolen. She was a well built hound just under 15 inches. Now the other pup was one of the strangest dogs I have ever seen she was very slow at getting started but she did finaly solo a rabbit she handled well but some times she just wasn't interested in hunting she just stayed with me.I never bred this dog and she died some years later from someones coyote poison.Well since the two were from different litters I started looking for a female out of the same lines as the first dog . The first dog had Pennyroyal Patch Casey in her ped. 3 generations back and Wrights spud patch. I now have a female out of these lines that I am crossing with a male out of Plowboys old Rhonda female.I have made this cross twice and decided to keep all this litter for my self . Just go's to prove there are good ones and bad ones in all the lines out there. Theres just a little more good in the patch or pache.
Seek Ye First The Kingdom Of GOD.

NCPatch

Post by NCPatch »

I forgot to say if I remember write G. R. Dinius Mike Compozzi North creek N.Y.and the Lasage name Mike Roach lives in Lesage West Virgina.
Seek Ye First The Kingdom Of GOD.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

NC, G.R. was up at Howell Mich.
I agree, you won't go wrong with "ole Stupe" PRP Casey.
I run all mine through his sons, Don's Buckeye, Royal Falcon & Pine Patch.
The boys in Pa. have some nice hounds and I liked running with Pete Marra and his family.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Shakeandbake whats the sire to the good little female you have ?
Regards , Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale