Starting Pen Problem ( need help )

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

johns03272008

Starting Pen Problem ( need help )

Post by johns03272008 »

Okay i am not going to mention any names even though i dont believe either of the 3 pen owners are on this board but this is a problem for me and im not very happy as i have a few starting pens close to me and have tried all of them and have been told by pen owners owe dont worry there is tons of rabbits in this pen and any dog should start within a day or 2 and guess what :shock: in 1 of them it took a seasoned dog 45 mins to jump a rabbit up and its only a 2 acre pen and no rabbits any where while the other rabbit was getting ran!!! The 2nd pen was 16 acres and turned 4 dogs loose in and never jumped a single rabbit in 4 hrs of hunting this is ridiculous and im starting to get a little :mad2: :mad2: but im trying to remain calm so that being said, Is there anyone in or around Indianapolis, Indiana that has a starting pen that has wild rabbits in it!! Im not looking for a rabbit pen that has only 1 or 2 rabbits in it like i have found to be in the last 2 pens i have been at :angryfire: !!! I dont want any funny bunnies in there i am wanting someone that has a nice pen with only wild rabbits in it that is willing to start a pup!!! If you have a pen please let me know as i am trying to get my pup started and 1 or 2 rabbits in a pen isnt going to do it so please pm me or what ever!!

I'm sorry if i am coming across a little pee'd but im am tired of sending a dog here and there and waiting only to find out a week later when i go that there is no rabbits!!! im not trying to scare anyone away as alot of people on here know me and im not the type to get angry easily!!!

Also if this works out in your pen i will have 2 others coming soon as the 2 others are 3-4 months old!!!

thanks for your time John
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

les guynn

Re: Starting Pen Problem ( need help )

Post by les guynn »

John, Why do you only want wild rabbits, I own a quarter acre pen in Maryland and i have used razor backs, sanwands, and some tame rabbits a time or two. you don't need a acre pin to start a pup. The last time i quit counting FIFTY some or so pups have went through my pen to become real good rabbit dogs and trial dogs in the little pack. GOD BLESS

KyBeagleGuy09

Post by KyBeagleGuy09 »

I know this is not close to indianapolis but my uncle down here in ky has a rabbitt pen he has a small one thats like 100 foot by 100 foot then he moves them to like a maybe 6 acre pen then he has like a 30 acre pen sizes might not be exact but close he keeps dogs for $25.00 a week and he has a real good sucess rate at getting them started he wont take one unless its at least 6 or 7 months old he fools with them every day or anyone can bring them thereself for $3.00 a dog as soon as they start sight chasing in his small pen he will run them with his older dogs he has started several for me if you or anyones interested leave message and i can give contact info

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

:angel: JOHN MY BUDDY STARTS HIS PUPS ON SAN JUANS RABBITS SO DO i . HIS PEN IS ABOUT A 1/4 ACRE PEN TOO, AND HE TAKES THEM OUT TO WILD TO RUN THEM, AFTER HE STARTED THEM ON SAN JUANS ! THEY RUN ON SAN JUANS JUST AS GOOD AS IF THEY WERE RUNNING ON WILD RABBITS. TAKE CARE ! KEN :hammer: GOD BLESS !!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Pen rabbits become very smart. They sit tight, do lots of twist and doubles, they have to adapt to their environment or they get caught. If your wanting rabbits to run for your pups. Put a couple fresh rabbits in the pen and give them a couple days to adjust, then put your pups in the pen. They will run and leave a fairly smooth trail for your pups to start on.
I'd guess the trouble your having with the pens is due to the dry conditions and these rabbits being well educated being ran in the pen(sitting tight)... ;)

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

S.R.Patch wrote:Pen rabbits become very smart. They sit tight, do lots of twist and doubles, they have to adapt to their environment or they get caught. If your wanting rabbits to run for your pups. Put a couple fresh rabbits in the pen and give them a couple days to adjust, then put your pups in the pen. They will run and leave a fairly smooth trail for your pups to start on.
I'd guess the trouble your having with the pens is due to the dry conditions and these rabbits being well educated being ran in the pen(sitting tight)... ;)
I completely understand exactly what you are saying about them doing all that and the conditions but when i take my seasoned dog to my running spots and i got rabbits everywhere and in a enclosure it takes 45 mins to jump a rabbit compaired to 5 mins at my running spot it just kinda makes me think why is my dog there to start cause im my opinion and again i stress OPINION if it takes a seasoned dog that is a good jump dog 45 mins how is a pup gonna do it when they dont even know what they are really doing!! JMHO but believe me i know what you are saying!!
les guynn wrote:John, Why do you only want wild rabbits, I own a quarter acre pen in Maryland and i have used razor backs, sanwands, and some tame rabbits a time or two. you don't need a acre pin to start a pup. The last time i quit counting FIFTY some or so pups have went through my pen to become real good rabbit dogs and trial dogs in the little pack. GOD BLESS
Les i am in NO way saying that tame rabbits wont do it as i know lots of people that have their dogs started on san jauns or smokey moutain crossers or even pet store rabbits i know that i am not saying that is bad or doesnt work cause i know it does i just prefer mine to be started on wild rabbits cause they are run on wild rabbits when older just what im wanting for my pups!!! Also i dont have anything against tame or anything other than a wild rabbit!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I too see what your saying.
If you have the time and rabbits(sounds like you do), the wild would be where I'd start my pups or, I'd trap a couple rabbits and donate them to the pen for a small discount fee maybe? That way your doing yourself and the pen owner a favor... ;)

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

S.R.Patch wrote:I too see what your saying.
If you have the time and rabbits(sounds like you do), the wild would be where I'd start my pups or, I'd trap a couple rabbits and donate them to the pen for a small discount fee maybe? That way your doing yourself and the pen owner a favor... ;)

I'm with SR, if your running spot has that many rabbits I would just consider starting them in the wild.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I would go along with that

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

John take ur seasoned dog in the wild with them pups man, 3-4 months old seem a little young to run a rabbit but, thats what i would do............ Starting pens in kentucky are like housecats, everywhere.Juan Artmitage has started a ton for me over the years. He dont just cut em loose he is out there every night with em. Hollar if ya need his number.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I started my in my neighbor hood on a leash we had so many around the houses. I then started to trap them in my neighbors yards and let them chase them in my yard. I also trapped them in my running areas and let them go after the dogs saw them in the trap. I even relocated a few to a running spot. All the while I continued to take them to the woods and help them find and jump rabbits. It took me longer to get them "finished" but I enjoyed dong it and feel like I had alot to do with their training. I would say the best way to get them to open was trapping one, and to begin trailing was letting them chase and follow rabbits in my neighbor hood as pups.

Good Luck,

The Best running pen near me is about 100 miles north at Reddog1s.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

John call me. I'll get your dogs started and you can come see where I do it at. 80 acres of wild rabbits.

317-577-1976
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"