Pups first Rabbits

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

MI-Beagler

Pups first Rabbits

Post by MI-Beagler »

On Friday, 12/10/10, my wife and i took out our 10 month old male and our 4 month old female along with 8 year old Dozer who belongs to James Golden (goldenacres) and I killed the first 2 rabbits over my male. The little female was just along for the excercise, but she followed along with the big dogs well! I cant even say how many rabbits have been killed over Dozer but these were the first two for my male Ruger. Dozer was a big help keeping Ruger on track, he has been running rabbits since July but the recent snow has thrown him for a curve! It was a good day and we had a lot of fun. The little female showed great promise too.

Thanks for looking

Dogs from Left to Right: Pearl, Dozer, Ruger.
"Teamwork is the linchpin of a successful rabbit hunting campaign" - Robert L Mason

brush_hog

Re: Pups first Rabbits

Post by brush_hog »

Congrats on the first of many! Nothing like hearing the young dogs baying for the first time... or killing bunnies off them for the first time. It does take a dog a little bit of getting used to as far as the snow goes. Experience is the best teacher. Take the dogs out no matter what. Windy, dry, rainy, snowy, cold, hot. I like to train pups during drought in the summer. Everything else is gravy compared to that. Lots of luck with the young dogs, and keep them in the bush.

Joe