Opinions Needed on Breeding Female

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

KPrice

Opinions Needed on Breeding Female

Post by KPrice »

I know we have a lot of folks on here with a lot of experience so I thought I'd see what you all think.

Recently my Gracie dog was bred for the first time. She is 3 years old, perfect health, excellent hound with all of the traits that I value in my hounds.

She had 3 pups and did not raise any. Pups were plenty strong at birth and she was producing milk. But she just did not raise them. Her whelping box is cozy and warm, raised lots of puppies in there over the years. But the first night it got cold, I could tell she wasn't doing a good job of keeping the pups warm. So the wife took her and the pups into the house. Nothing worked, and none of the pups made it. She just would not take care of them.

Question to you all is would you breed this female again? I really had high hopes for this litter, and I've never had this kind of bad luck before. So what do you think?

cpuckett

Re: Opinions Needed on Breeding Female

Post by cpuckett »

i would give her another chance,i am not a big time breeder,but i am sure that if those guys had 2 dogs that they wanted pups out of and this happened to them on the first breeding they would try at least one more time
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I have a female that let 1 litter die but she has rasied 2.Maybe they know when something is wrong.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

KPrice

Post by KPrice »

Thanks guys. I planned to give her one more chance for sure, but I wanted to get other opinions.

Donnie

Post by Donnie »

same here had a bitch have 4 lost 4 next time had 7 raised 7.had 5 last time raised 5 sometimes the first litter they don't really know what to do others are just born to be good mothers.i'd give her another chance
weasle

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

I agree with Tommy, someting was wrong and she knew it by instinct.
Try again!