Questions on Flat Creek Line

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Fleetwood

Questions on Flat Creek Line

Post by Fleetwood »

Can anyone help me with some information on the Flat Creek line. ALso, what kind of hound was Wright's Shake? Was Shake a Flat Creek bred hound? What is the running style, hunt, foot, etc.? Thanks very much! I'm thinking about a hound with this breeding and want to know more about it. Thanks!

John Lear

Re: Questions on Flat Creek Line

Post by John Lear »

I have hunted over some and really liked them and I mainly run a Mid West style hound. I think us who are too focused on the up front hound could learn a little from this style hound. They typically hunted in the brush and ran upper medium fast speed but there were all variations of medium speed in them. Seemed to be easy to train and handle and was a "like to please" type dog. A little cold noses and quick on the trigger some times but not always. 13 to 14" dogs. Now again I say, I have not seen a lot of them but I have seen some and hunted with a guy here in town who bought several and even his outcrosses were based from the Flat Creek dogs. Hope it helps. Post what you decide to do!

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Slow 5 speed at best!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Newt

Post by Newt »

Lee Cockman wrote:Slow 5 speed at best!
Not so fast my friend. FC Flat Creek Jeter and several other Flat Creek dogs are successfully competing in the PBGA, IBGA, and NEBGA. There are dogs placing in those trials that are Speedy Sport, Ranger Dan, Wingate, and Grimshaw breeding. They are not the traditional LPH Trial dogs but hare hunters use them successfully.

DMP

Post by DMP »

Most of my dogs are flat creek breed. This line was started by Bill Wright and ZT Wells. Philip Kaleum and Eddie Gooch are carring the line on today. Go to the espo board and ask the guestion there. You should get all the information you need. I own several out of Flat Creek Jeter II and they are by know means slow. I have a male that won and placed in spo trials in NY on hare and cottontail. Everyone has a different idea on speed but I wouldn't say they are a 5. I know Pete Tuck and Anthony Kerr typically run LP and they came up to run @ Southside VA trial last year. There were alot of Flat Creek dogs there that day. I know they get on here sometimes. Maybe they can compare the speed?

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

Most of the dogs I saw at the Southside trial last year were far from slow. I was competitive with my Rifle male. He is mostly Jack of all trades bred with some heavy Mark V Ace in the Hole on the bottom. He is not the fastest dog I run, but he was far from being the fastest at the trial. He advanced to the second series and was picked up for whatever reason. DMP ran some dogs that could drive out of a check as well as alot of Little Pack dogs. There were some dogs there that were slower than I like to run, but for the most part what was around in the winners packs were medium fast. Being a new comer I asked alot of questions to the judges and heard some good answers as to how they determined the winners. The dogs have to be in control of the race to advance. The 2 judges from New York that judged the big females seemed to really like the kind of dog that I like. I am no expert, but thats my story. Lee your dog Lambeau would probably give em hell.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

Anthony hit the nail on the head. I placed my dazzle gyp third at that trial. We had a great time and learned alot that day. I may have seen a 5 that day, but not in the winners pack!! That winners pack delivered the mail. Danny or dmp, on here has a male that can get it done in akc or arha.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

bbg

Post by bbg »

Alot of them around here. I personally like them. Good hunt, medium to upper medium speed, tight on the check, and excellent line control. I like pups out of Brinskys Run Em Over Tank and Flat Creek Jeter; and can't wait to see some out of Scratch Ankle Jeremiah. Sorry if I misspelled their names.

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Upper 5 at best! JMO
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Talkabout TBO

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Remember guys, this is the line that produced one of the best trial dogs to date, AKC FC, ARHA CH and UKC CH Brinksey's Run Em Over Tank. There are some dogs in this line that I have viewed that are a top upper meduim to fast, most of them that I have seen are that quick, with others varies in the meduim to upper medium. Good snow dogs, with excellent line control and good check work. They had to desire to hunt for a rabbit and didn't care what they put their bodies through....
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

DMP

Post by DMP »

I have 5 pups that are out of a flat creek/Tank bitch sired by FC Flat Creek Cheech. I have high hopes for these pups. I breed a bitch directly out of Tank to my male but she only had two and both died. Like most lines you can get a varied speed depending on the cross. The 5 pups I have should be plenty quick.

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Come see the one's in NC and you will see I am right! Not talking about NY IN
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Talkabout TBO

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Thanks for all the responses so far guys. I really appreciate it. Let me tell you a little more about what I'm getting at.

I really like the Gay line of hounds. I was raised on it and currently have a year old bitch that is what I would consider an upper medium style hound. I have run across an 8 month old male for sale here locally (northwestern NC) that is straight up line bred Flat creek/Wrights Shake. In the 3rd generation back, this pup is VERY heavy with FC Wrights Shake and FC Flat Creek Blake. We're talking 8 crosses in that 3rd generation between the two.

Will this dog run well with my little linebred gay bitch? What should I expect.

Of course the ultimate test is to go down there and watch him run but I was just hoping someone out there was familiar with the wrights Shake.Flat Creek stuff.

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

YES! JMO They should be the same speed.
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Talkabout TBO

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Very interesting...thanks Lee.