Shocking systems used in LP

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

CJ&C kennels

Shocking systems used in LP

Post by CJ&C kennels »

I would like to get some feed back on why LP doesn't allow a person to put a shocking system on a dog at these hunts.. This would save time on catching hounds that are running off game and lost dogs that gets missing and these dogs are sometimes found.. This just makes sense to use a shocking system. The dogs that are running off game is gonna be scratched anyway so what the issue.. I think it needs to be a handler choice....
Chad Mullins
Home of
LPGRCH Colley's Taxi Cab Driver
LPRCH Mullins' Sweet Pea
LPRCH Black Diamond Super Star

Big Mike

Re: Shocking systems used in LP

Post by Big Mike »

The only format that i am aware of that allows shocking systems on hounds is UKC, however, the sending unit cannot be brought to the field.
Big Mike

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

That question was asked here not to long ago and thier answer was You need to break your dogs to handle not run off game etc.. on your time not ours and they also said that is what trials was all about good dogs that can be run without training devices sounds good enuff to me lol

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

rabbitsmoker wrote:That question was asked here not to long ago and thier answer was You need to break your dogs to handle not run off game etc.. on your time not ours and they also said that is what trials was all about good dogs that can be run without training devices sounds good enuff to me lol
Would seem to make sense wouldn't it??

Besides that if it's only about being able to locate and catch the dogs then get tracking or gps collars. Then there's no chance of using the ecollars during the hunt.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Duke

Post by Duke »

We are allowed the use of e-collars in Big Pack. It was a choice made by the board of directors. The first year was a trial year. It was very popular and was made a permanent past of the rules.

The difference is that in big pack all the hounds are released at once and not handled for 4 hours exception only of a hound goes out of bounds or in danger. We use to lose hounds regularly and now it is a rarity even with 70 plus hounds released at once in some very rugged and thick isolated terrain.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I don't like the idea, that just begs for slick handling. Notice your dog backtracking or babbling.....give it a tap. Alot of handlers will use anything they can to their advantage, it's too bad to give them that chance from 2 miles away.

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

DIXIEDOG wrote:I don't like the idea, that just begs for slick handling. Notice your dog backtracking or babbling.....give it a tap. Alot of handlers will use anything they can to their advantage, it's too bad to give them that chance from 2 miles away.

Great Point , I totally agree with you....
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

CJ&C kennels

Post by CJ&C kennels »

DIXIEDOG wrote:I don't like the idea, that just begs for slick handling. Notice your dog backtracking or babbling.....give it a tap. Alot of handlers will use anything they can to their advantage, it's too bad to give them that chance from 2 miles away.
Well i can tell you they are already back tracking dogs and babbling that goes on already so thats nothing, Use one set of collars and one transmitter only kept by the judge or in the vehicle locked up and only used if needed sounds like a good idea.. And if you go to any field trials at all they are slick handling too.. LP needs to put into affect if a dog sits around and does not hunt the dog needs to be put on clock and when the time runs out scatched...
Chad Mullins
Home of
LPGRCH Colley's Taxi Cab Driver
LPRCH Mullins' Sweet Pea
LPRCH Black Diamond Super Star

cjones

Post by cjones »

CJ&C kennels wrote: LP needs to put into affect if a dog sits around and does not hunt the dog needs to be put on clock and when the time runs out scatched...
I agree whole heartedly with that!
LPGRCH GBCH Saten's Big Time Bodie
LPGRCH GBCH Staten's Blue Honey
LPRCH Windy Ridge Boy Named Sue
LPRCH BCH BLK'S Little Girl
Staten's Up Front Ami

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

DIXIEDOG wrote:LP needs to put into affect if a dog sits around and does not hunt the dog needs to be put on clock and when the time runs out scratched...
That rule is already in effect.

Section G, Item 5 on Page 16
http://www.arha.com/littlepack/LP%20RULES%202007.pdf
6. If the hound refuses to hunt the first 30 minutes of any cast it will be disqualified.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

rabbitsmoker wrote:That question was asked here not to long ago and thier answer was You need to break your dogs to handle not run off game etc.. on your time not ours and they also said that is what trials was all about good dogs that can be run without training devices sounds good enuff to me lol
There you have it folks.
Don't bring a dog that is not broke.

Man has beem running dogs for thousands of years without a shock collar, suddenly people cant handle a dog without one. :roll:
Learn to handle your dogs and trash break them before you show up to a trial.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Shock collars or not..........back in the day or now, Silverzuk is right.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

jfields

Post by jfields »

If you put the time into it you can train a dog to handle with a whistle as good as it will with a tone and whistles are allowed.
Breed Em Good & Run Em Hard
http://shadywoodzkennels.tripod.com/index.html
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Like i or not, shock collars are here to stay and field trials should integrate them into the sport in some form... My new dog has never ran off game on me and has even turned it down when other dogs were going after it but she still wears a collar because it JUST MAKES SENSE.. Why risk the hassle of looking for or loosing a dog.

My personal feelings are the master of hounds or whatever keeps the collar and if he/she gives it to you then your dog is scratched but still keep it on the dog just in case...

Its not like people don't break their dogs of off game and other faults with it anyways so its not like by allowing them your ruining the standard or harming the breed..... I don't like yelling or taking my gloves off to whistle for my dog over hollers and mountains so the tone button works fantastic so I don't loose my voice.....why not be able to tone a dog after the run is over...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:Like i or not, shock collars are here to stay and field trials should integrate them into the sport in some form... My new dog has never ran off game on me and has even turned it down when other dogs were going after it but she still wears a collar because it JUST MAKES SENSE.. Why risk the hassle of looking for or loosing a dog.
I disagree.
The big thing is that it allows manipulation and control over the dog when afield. If you provide a method to cheat, people will use it. I promise.

Suppose you have the judge hold all the controls. The first trick will be to hand the judge a dummy controller, while yours is in pocket. As people get more wise, they will have a duplicate controller made that looks like a key chain, or something.

Secondly. it allows poorly trained dogs, and handlers that have poorly trained dogs, to participate.
Think about "hunt and handling". You just eliminated the "handling portion". Suddenly the handler is shocking ole Joe to get him in faster so it appears that he handles better.

It allows dogs to compete in competition that aren't ready for the field. It allows the handler to control the dog while he is cast. I don't think anyone can intelligently refute those two, only make excuses to justify why they want to run shock collars.
Last edited by SilverZuk on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.