Rough running on powdery snow/ question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NorWester1

Re: Rough running on powdery snow/ question

Post by NorWester1 »

Tom wrote,
We have days here when the dogs running behind the leaders don't have anything to run. In fact, I can count on one hand the dogs I've seen that can run at all, even alone on those days and still have fingers left over. When the third and fourth place dogs are barking I consider it to be a good day for scent. I've never seen a pack, 4 or more, that can run together on the worst days. Not just follow along but actualy do more good than harm. Have you?
No :lol: :lol: (my short answer)
Truth is I'm showboating a little with these clips. If you go by the numbers the conditions sound horrible. Truth is like you wrote..... they really aren't that bad or the dogs wouldn't have been able to do what they did.
Couple of things going on. Number one, I've got 3 or 4 dogs with more experience in cold and deep snow than most dogs will ever see in their lives and I've got three young dogs (Zebo, Cricket & Grinch) that are descended from the best of those that show some real potential to be better than their parents some day.
Number two, although the numbers like I wrote sound horrible to anyone who hasn't spent any amount of time hunting in those conditions or breeding dogs to hunt in them, to someone like yourself....... it's nothing out of the ordinary and in my opinion this winter has met us half way.
I've had better dogs that had much tougher seasons due to winter dealing us a raw hand.

Tom also wrote,
When Zebo was running alone it seemed he could smell the hare just fine when he was on the track. The conditions could not have been that bad
"That bad" is a relative term. To you and I.... no, you're right the conditions could not have been that bad or he wouldn't have been able to work that track at all, even though the hare was mere feet from him. I've (and I know you have too) seen too many times in similar circumstances where the dog acted like the hare was never there :shock:
But to these guys that adhere to the school of thought that all hare stink like a fox and can be run heads up until they are run down..... these conditions must at least make them think a little bit ;)

Tom then wrote,
In Zebo's case I would say it's lack of experience. Another 1000 hours of running hare and he should make a pretty good dog.
Definitely lack of experience and maybe lack of aptitude for the game. Only time in the snow will tell ;)

RiverBottom

Post by RiverBottom »

I've (and I know you have too) seen too many times in similar circumstances where the dog acted like the hare was never there
Yep, I know that feeling all too well :???:

To be honest, I don't think anyone else has ever tried putting together a pack that can run together on those kind of days. In another year or two you may be able to tell us that the right kind of pack can actualy run better in the worst conditions than one dog alone can. It's certainly true that a good pack, working together can run a hare more effectively than one dog alone on days when scenting is better and snow doesn't get in the way.

But to get back to the original topic, if your dog is smelling rabbit tracks and getting closer to the rabbit, it ain't mouthy in my book.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

I think the key is to have the dogs in your pack equally balanced as far as ability goes, so that when one takes the front it doesn't blow the run up by not being able to handle it.
The dogs must also honour each other....... meaning staying the course until they get their chance at the front even if that means just following along until that opportunity comes, especially on those toughest days when only the dog on the front end is getting any scent at all.

Tom wrote.
It's certainly true that a good pack, working together can run a hare more effectively than one dog alone on days when scenting is better and snow doesn't get in the way
I agree and it's logic like that that started me in the direction I've found myself going. Less scent because of the conditions, whether it's cold and dry or deep snow or both means an upgrade in nose power is in order to make up the difference between a pack running in fair weather and one running in tough conditions. This is also true even if you're running only one dog.
However there are some unavoidable pitfalls along the way in my opinion, which gets back to what Brushhog was concerned with.
One of which is accepting the fact that with the kind of nose power needed you're going to get some "extra" mouth from the same dogs or dog in fair conditions, like cold tracking and of course, what strikes horror in every beaglers heart.... giving mouth on the backtrack :oops:
You'll also get your share of "off track" barking....... dogs doing some just out of excitment or frustration when you're pretty sure they are not smelling rabbit :ashamed: