FIRE ANTS KILLING RABBITS IN SOUTH

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sbeagler

FIRE ANTS KILLING RABBITS IN SOUTH

Post by sbeagler »

RE: Raising Rabbits clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by patsy_b z8 Tx (My Page) on Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 7:54

I used to raise rabbits but gave them up due to fire ants. The end for me was when a doe was due and I had been watching her closely as she had been pulling hair(to make the nest). Had checked on her before going to bed and all was well. Early the next morning when I checked on her she had given birth during the night and the fire ants had eaten the poor babies. I had some just bones and others in different stages of being eaten. She had 8 babies and all were dead. Even putting the legs of the hutch in pails of water had not stopped the ants. The hutch was touching the outside wall of the house and that was the way they had gotten in. The amount of meats per cost of food ratio is wonderful and the meat is suppose to be very healthy so if there is some way you can keep the ants at bay go for it. The fertilizer is wonderful. I have never gotten better results in my vegetable garden than I did when I had rabbit manure to use.
Patsy DO YOU GUYS THINK SPREADING BROADCASTING AMDRO BAIT ON A RUNNING GROUNDS WOULD HELP. RABBIT POPULATIONS HAVE DROPPED WITH INCREASE IN ANT POPULATIONS HERE IN NC.

rabbitsmoker

Re: FIRE ANTS KILLING RABBITS IN SOUTH

Post by rabbitsmoker »

It would certainly help exstinguish is a great product also But fire ants build mounds you would need to sprinkle a granule form bait on all the mounds you can if you dont treat the mounds you want do any good