bald eagle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluerunner43

bald eagle

Post by bluerunner43 »

I was out running yesterday, while I was standin there waiting for the dogs to get something started I noticed that the crows where goin nuts I looked up and there was a bald eagle circling right above my dogs, he was only tree top high and I saw him circle twice before he took off. My dogs are small about 18lbs and 24lbs. I don't know if he was thinking about one of my dogs for lunch or if he was waiting for them to jump a rabbit for him but it made me a little nervous for a second. Anybody else ever seen this happen?

Gunslinger Beagles

Re: bald eagle

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

no eagles just buzzards.LOL no doubt it will make you nervous :D

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

This happened a couple of times to us. It was early this fall, and we were hunting an island at a 400 acre lake here in Pa. I have a very small female, and we also had several pups in the four to five month range at the time. The eagle creates enough excitement without hovering above the smaller dogs. I never saw an eagle before 2010. I had at least seven sightings last year.

Gunslinger Beagles

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

wow awesome pic. i have never seen one here in va but pa isnt that far away. thanks great post

Freeman Beagles

Post by Freeman Beagles »

Bald eagles will get your dogs. My brother=is=law tied his winner dog outside his back door. An eagle came down and grabed the dog. Only thing he dog was leashed and the eagle had to let it go. His wife saw this happen and she started yelling. The dog ended up dying because of the claws punchered the dog's organs.

Shot Caller

Post by Shot Caller »

ive seen lots of eagles in north eastern nc, central va. i couldnt believe it when i saw them scavaging on deer carcasses and holding buzzards at bay while doing so.

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

Shot Caller wrote:ive seen lots of eagles in north eastern nc, central va. i couldnt believe it when i saw them scavaging on deer carcasses and holding buzzards at bay while doing so.
Seen this twice in the last three years. Eagles are seen here more often. Pretty sure a few nest on the river at the hunt club in Amelia co.

zander

Post by zander »

They taste like chicken

goodpickens

Post by goodpickens »

Eagles are definitely making a come back. A couple years ago, a juvenile eagle tried to take off with a friend's dachshund while she was walking on the leash. The same year, heard reports of over 50 sightings of eagles along the river in a few days time.

south mtn beagles

Post by south mtn beagles »

I dont know how true it is but,A co worker said he took his mother inlaws chihuahua out for a unleashed walk,he's standing there enjoying his BEER when out of no where a hawk came down and grabbed her chihuahua,that would be kinda tough to explain to the in laws I think!!

Vicious Kennels

Post by Vicious Kennels »

okay not saying this is right but I was told there are only three things a eagle will not eat a skunk, a oppossum, and a dog. But if you think about it they are known to knock mountain goat "kid" off to there death and then eat them so a 20 pound beagle would be no problem. I have seen red tail hawks try and grab a rabbit the dogs have flushed out into the open before so maybe the eagle was just waiting on a little good dog work lol

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

i was running a rail road grade and when the rabbit came out a red tail hawk came out of nowhere and grabed the rabbit few up on a telephone post and ate it i was pretty amazed

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I saw 3 different Eagles on the New River this Summer.
Two Up in the Radford Arsenal, and 1 just below the Claytor Dam.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

man Its so weird you posted this, I never saw a bald eagle either till this year but today I swear honest too god I saw three of them!! :shock: :shock: :shock: They are HUGE and we saw one juvenile...

I was gonna come and post about it tonight....
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

I saw a bald eagle just 2 weeks ago right by my house in Raleigh, NC.

The shadow of a big bird over my truck while driving. I looked up thinking a low flying hawk only to see a bald eagle!