Record Snow

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitsmoker

Record Snow

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I live in eastern Okla. it has snowed since Mon this is the most snow we have had 20 + years and suppose to snow the next 8 days I knw some will laugh but my hounds have never run on the snow Do they have to get used to running on snow before they get good at running on it or will they just run like its no snow im dont like running on snow its a mess just done it few times and they run horrible but prob need to getem used to it maybe

Anderson Upland Beagles

Re: Record Snow

Post by Anderson Upland Beagles »

they should get better the more they run on it .long as it dont get to deep !

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

THEY Will get use to running on the snow. they should adapt.

BUT

the rabbits don't like running for you. They will hole faster. Well its sort of maybe they will maybe they won't

I'm going to be hunting in about 15" tomorrow. Yippeee for me........NOT!!!!!!!!
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

chipper

Post by chipper »

If you end up with too much snow you might have to wait for it to crust up, so it will hold the dogs up.If you get them running in it,the more they do it, the better they should get.
Some dogs have a good "snow nose"and others do not.Should be a good time for you to find out.Good Luck and Have Fun. :bigsmile:

buckshot464

Post by buckshot464 »

If running a pack doesn't seem to be working try working just one dog. Its easier for one dog to learn and figure it out than with others pushing them.
Just something we do

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Dont know where a rabbit would find a hole thats not covered in snow we used to get these type of snows every winter all winter long but havent since early 80s we have 6-8 years in a rowe and it didnt even snow at all