Deer Proof Dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RiverRat

Deer Proof Dogs?

Post by RiverRat »

Do U think a dog can naturally be deerproof? I have heard guys make the claim,and have made it myself to be proven wrong.I broke mine the best I could but if one jumps up in there face I wouldnt bet money they would not chase.I had a guy tell me its genetic and that his dogs would not run a deer but he had E collars on all of them.Any opinions on this?

Pete Tuck

Re: Deer Proof Dogs?

Post by Pete Tuck »

I have had two dogs in my career that never ran a deer. The offspring from them ran deer. I believe you can have a dog that is natural deer broke but that does not mean its offspring will be.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

I believe it can and does happen to be a natural, but not as many rabbit proof beagles (I have seen a few) ... :lol:
I wouldn't bet on mine not running 1 if it was in their face

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

Ther are some dogs out there who will never offer to run a deer. But why I don't know. I get a little uneasy when someone starts telling me that their line of dogs won't run deer. I would never make that claim because my dogs have made liars out of me in the past! I think a dog with great desire will need to be trained what he is and isn't supposed to be pursuing. JMO.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Get this guys went with a guy years ago told me that my dogs jumped a deer run it bout hour he caught his 8 hour later he said they backslid lol but i do believe ther are crosses that throws natural deer broke dogs

allniter

Post by allniter »

I have had DOGS for over 50 years I only had one dog that was natural deer proof --he would not hunt over 100 yds in front of you --by the way he was a walker coon dog ---if you walked him he would tree every coon in the woods --I always said he was too lazy to run that hard --he died at 15 yrs old and the man that had him would kill more coon than any one else ---

all of my beagles now have been treated with the E-COLLAR ---I start out when the are 4 months old --I use a deer gland[[[[when the deer are in the rut ]] on a wooden stick 2x2 in the weeds inside a bare copper wire ball with a fence charger hook to it --by the time they are ready for some real testing they don't want any part of the sent --if they go to it the [[3]] time he is going to be a hand full --the first time they smell they will turn faster than a birddog go to the smell with the wet nose -you will know if the charger is working :roll: :roll: :nod: :nod:

the dogs are like some guys if they haven't be out for some time ---the man is looking for the best looking LADY the house and will lower his thinking to the one setting over in the corner ---dog went out to run rabbits and hunted hard all day and didn't find any so he is going to run something :nod: :nod: :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I have two littermate brothers. One has been shocked hard (on 6 TT) three different times. I won't say he is broke but I will say that he "questions whether he should run" a deer track. His brother, has been straight since the day I brought him home. He has followed a deer chase a few times (and been shocked for it) but has never opened while following the dogs on deer. Every deer chase I have seen he comes back and stands by me. Usually he'll go check what they are running, if its a deer he comes back.

Not sure if that is naturally deer proof but its kind of nice. He's never turned down a rabbit or a fox or a pheasant or a grouse etc etc but if he comes back, you can bet its a deer.

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

No such thing as a 100% deer proof dog.

steve w

Post by steve w »

I think deer proof dogs are just smarter and/or want to please more, (tractability) I would be willing to bet if you new the whole story on those deer proof dogs you'd find that most seen or were part of a correction of one sort or another on a deer race. Like Smokin Mack I have a pair of brothers and one was so bad on deer he should have been shot his brother on the other hand went along for the ride but never opened in the begining, and quickly became a tattle tale after seeing the correction process. As for it being in the genetic make up, no way, the closest you'll get to proving that is running the same family of dogs and if your lucky and as each generation comes along because the previous generation did not influence them to run deer you may stand a chance of making that claim. But really it boils down to them wanting to please and having a brain to do it with.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Ive come to the point in the past 6 years if they run deer on me after being shocked time and time again i will not keep them.I am not feeding a dog that cant cant hunt without worring about deer problems I can turn mine out anywhere If i see deer where i want to turn out i turn out and so far the deer run off and they strike a rabbit. I use bad tracking days to train deer problems i find deer turn them out and shock Im not feeding a deer dog plain and simple

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have had two in 20 plus years and I won't say they would not run one in the right situation. One never did and he is gone to the great race. One we have now and she has been that way since young. I bought her at 9 months and to my knowing she has not ran one at all. She has come back on a deer race or two with no correction at all?? I have seen deer literally explode in her face and she acts as though they are not there. I was told her grand dam and sire where the same way. It does make it more enjoyable to have a line that seems to be more rabbit oriented than just "Gamey". JMO.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I wished i could find that cross that would throw natural broke deer pups but they few and between i know there out there but very few To get the drive and hunt i like makes it harder im feel blessed to have what i got now 5 years never had my pack on a deer chase and hunt where i deer hunt get out of the truck shoo the deer out of the way and run rabbits

Tundra Beagle

Post by Tundra Beagle »

An ecollar makes them deer resistant, most hounds that run into a deer are going to chase it unless they have been broke. If somebody tells me their hound wont run deer I have a few rabbit spots in deer yards they are more than welcome to hunt, but I would put a ecollar on that dog. I remember a couple of July hounds we ran coyotes with that we could run in the deer yards, elk pen enclosures - yotes would dig under the fence or come in the culverts and they never offered to run any thing but the coyote. Coyotes stink and I think that is why.
Joys in life brought to you by Family, Friends and Visa.

bluerunner43

Post by bluerunner43 »

Had one I would of sworn was deer proof never ran one until 7 or 8 years old. She had a wounded deer jump up right in front of her, blood all over in snow and on the deers side, I guess it was to much to resist. That was the only one she ran in 13 seasons. I have a 4 1/2 year old now that has never ran one and a 2 1/2 year old that ran one when he was 10 months I shocked him off it and he hasn't run one since. I have seen many deer jump up in their faces and they just watch them run off just like I do. And by posting this they will probably run one the next time out.

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

I've had 3 that never touched a deer in there lives, and I've had plenty more than that who have.