question on negative brucellosis test

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wvbeagler74

question on negative brucellosis test

Post by wvbeagler74 »

My question is ..is negative brucellosis test that important to have before breeding? I have 6 excellent dogs and had a few people really want to breed their females to my males but when i mention about the test they shy away..i think its just they dont want to spend the money on the test. so is it really necessary to have this test..my pack of hounds is as important to me as my family.

Tsa la gi

Re: question on negative brucellosis test

Post by Tsa la gi »

Should the female have brucellosis it could make your stud sterile.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

If you value your male dogs, then, stick to your guns on requiring a recent negative brucellosis test. The cost of the test is nothing compared to the value of your dog. If the owns of the females value their bitches, they will asked the same negative test on your stud. I can only believe that when a persons shys away from testing, he or she cares little about their dog as well as yours.
To answer the question. No, a test is really not necessary if you are willing to accept the risk. But, aside of state laws, automobile insurance is not necessary if you want to risk not being involved in an accident, your fault or not. The thing about brucellosis is that a female or male that has never been bred can be a carrier and transmit the disease.
Look at it like this; a negative brucellosis test is like an Insurance Policy but good for only one mating.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

i breed one of my females to junie. I took her to the vet and got the test done. Wasn't a big deal and didn't cost much. They give you the results pretty quick.

Tell them to get it if they dont want to then their loss.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

I just called my local vet and it's going to cost me $52 to get my little female checked out. Just registered her through AKC (late puppy papers) and they sent me a free vet checkup. It's still going cost me for the brucellosis test.

blueridgemtn

Post by blueridgemtn »

We require a neg brucellosis on any feamle we breed due to the fact that you can ruin your stud dog if she is pos and its to late to find out after the fact. Around here I think the vet charge about 35.00 and usually have the result in 2-3 days. I would stick to my guns about requiring the test and require it to have been done in the last 30 days.
Blue Ridge Mtn Kennels
Home Of CH GRHBCH Big D's Hurricane Big Bad John
GRCH HBCH Blue Ridge's Hurricane Rocket
CH HBCH Blue Ridge's Pretty Lil' Pebbles

allniter

Post by allniter »

it is just as important to have the MALE check as it is the FEMALE --I want to see that the male has up to date neg test also
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

allniter is exactly right u should never breed your female to any stud that don't have a up to date test as well.your female may be clean and the stud could be a carrier if he has not been tested...
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

Freeman Beagles

Post by Freeman Beagles »

The vet I use charges $28.00 and you have your test within 10 minutes. I require a Brucellosis test on all females before they are bred to my stud dogs.

wvbeagler74

Post by wvbeagler74 »

i want to thank everyone on here for the posts.another ? how long is a negative brucellosis test
good for.

KyBeagleGuy09

Post by KyBeagleGuy09 »

if they have a really good female and if they would give me first pick of the litter i would pay for the test

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

wvbeagler74 - The test is usually good for 30 days. Assuming that you own the bitch, if the test is on a male and that dog bred a bitch since the test was taken, your bitch may not be protected. This is because the bitch that was bred may have been infected. Brucellosis is either dormant or active, either way it will destroy a good dog as well as the reputation of a Breeder.

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

A friend of mine had one of those quick test done by the vet and it came back positive. He had another test done on the same female and the vet sent if off and it came back negative. So which test is right ?

hookset

Post by hookset »

Salzer mtn wrote:A friend of mine had one of those quick test done by the vet and it came back positive. He had another test done on the same female and the vet sent if off and it came back negative. So which test is right ?
According to my vet, the in-house test WILL catch all positive dogs tested. He did say that every once in a while it will throw out a false positive. According to him, when you send one off and they test positive, they retest the blood sample and often get a negative. Don't know if he's right, just what he told me.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Just about very thing stated here has been accurate. Ask for a negative test on the stud and you probable won't be breeding to him, never seen one. Should, but never seen one. The quick test will give false positives, the lab test won't, but it can take 3-5 days and your bitch may be past due. Brucellosis is thought of as VD but it's not. It can be transmitted via sniffing/licking or any exchange of fluids. That means every dog at a trail just about should be tested to prevent the spread, that'll never happen. What I'm trying to say, it is a problem, but not a very big one or we would hear more about it. I only known I one individual in my life that got it, he had to get rid of all his dogs for 2 years to be safe. I would say it is alot rarer than rabies. Big time studs clearly need to require a negative test, but since they are breed 100s of times they should produce a negative test on the stud also.