Dog Eating Hay

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mtthwvn73

Dog Eating Hay

Post by mtthwvn73 »

Hey everyone...weird story.

We took the dogs out this morning to run at the WMA up the road and as most of you know...they have to get all the $h!t and vinegar out of them before they start running. Well something really odd happened today...

When one of the dogs, Twister, came back after pooping it was still hanging in him....little odd...I took a stick and flipped it off of him and noticed it was loaded with hay. I'm not talking about a straw or two, but it was like it was nothing but a big turd of hay. I've been around dogs about all my life and I've never saw such a thing before. I always use hay as bedding for the dogs and this is the first time that one of them has ate it. I guess he wanted a midnight snack.. :lol: I'm switching to pine chips for him...but has anyone ever had this happen to them? Will this hurt the dog? I guess he doesn't have enough roughage...or fiber in his diet... :P

Matt

Tsa la gi

Re: Dog Eating Hay

Post by Tsa la gi »

My young hounds are eating the hay also. I think it has made the intestine raw as she has passed bloody stool. Will be changeing to chips tomorrow.

wvbeagler74

Post by wvbeagler74 »

chips dont work either i got to that eat them and straw. i tried useing rabbit pellets one time just a tablespoon full each fedding it didnt work.switched dog food from dimond to pride orange bag. they havent eaten any more straw.they have been on pride for 2 months . i think ill keep them on it.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I use cedar chips thats no better they eat those also my pups are really bad there are chips in thier turds all the time

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

That happened to one of my dogs one time. She was laying on the gronnd on her stomach, squirmin around & in obvious pain. Took her to the vet, who gave her an enema,& once she got that big straw turd out of her system, she was much better. The vet gave me a tube of medicine that you give cats for hairballs. Can't remember what it was- Lanacane or something- I know it started with an L. I don't know what posessed her to eat that much straw. :???:
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

rabbitsmoker wrote:I use cedar chips thats no better they eat those also my pups are really bad there are chips in thier turds all the time
I've been told that you're not supposed to use cedar chips. I don't know...never used them before but I've heard the scent of the cedar messes with their noses. Like I said I don't know, but I've been worried about trying.
wvbeagler74 wrote:chips dont work either i got to that eat them and straw. i tried useing rabbit pellets one time just a tablespoon full each fedding it didnt work.switched dog food from dimond to pride orange bag. they havent eaten any more straw.they have been on pride for 2 months . i think ill keep them on it.
Well see, thats the problem...out of about 27 dogs this is the only one that has done this. I really didn't think it was the feed...thought maybe he wanted to become a Vegan, :roll:

Thanks for the replies everyone,
Matt

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

The feed store by me recommends what they call swamp grass instead of hay. I though it was just due to price but maybe it has something to do with hay being used for feed. My dogs have never eaten the swamp grass.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I switch from cedar to pine dont know about messing thier nose up but it sure helps control the fleas and ticks (the cedar)Havent seem to bother them I will check into that I was told not use wheat straw but to use oak straw was the best said they wouldnt eat that and one house full would last all winter want desinergrate

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

Househounds wrote:The feed store by me recommends what they call swamp grass instead of hay. I though it was just due to price but maybe it has something to do with hay being used for feed. My dogs have never eaten the swamp grass.
Well, the price of the hay isn't a problem...I have around 300 bales in the barn, all I can use. I usually just get a bale out and fill the houses up about once a month. I've been looking over the internet trying to find different solutions and it seems like there's 10 different types of bedding for 10 different people. Seems like alot of people use the cedar chips because of the control of fleas and ticks....how much did the Oat straw bales cost you Rabbitsmoker?

Matt

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Finding it was the problem i give 8 dollars a bale last i bought but its worth it i really like it but where i found it was 2 hour drive

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

pretty steep for the bales, how big are they? About the same size as a normal square bale of hay? I might put some straw or pine chips in for him...but it would be way too expensive for me to get the swamp grass...even if I could find it around here. Thanks for the info though.

Matt

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Dogs have a natural desire to eat grass. It's from before there were vet's and the dog was able to use what nature provided to heal and cleanse itself. When I was a boy, our old farm dogs would get to acting ill and go missing for a day or two. When they returned, their stool would be full of grass and barks they had eaten because nature had given the dog instinct of how to physic itself to become feeling better.
Before we had pain medicines, pain was recognized as your body telling you something was wrong. Many animals are gifted still with natures messages and the instinct of what to do to help themselves.
Remember Euell Gibbons and his pine cone, "many parts are eatable"... ;)

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

mtthwvn73 wrote:pretty steep for the bales, how big are they? About the same size as a normal square bale of hay? I might put some straw or pine chips in for him...but it would be way too expensive for me to get the swamp grass...even if I could find it around here. Thanks for the info though.

Matt
They are just a little bigger than a standard bale but well worth what you pay they fluff up and stay that way and because of the way it is i never have a problem with them dragging it out and alot less desire to eat it for some reason thats all i would use but where i have to drive to get it is 2 hours and they dont have it all the time sept is the best time to find it