Good running spot "bull-dozed" NOT

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Househounds

Good running spot "bull-dozed" NOT

Post by Househounds »

Went to my best runing spot today and found that it had been cleared out for putting up buildings or something. It was an overgrown field with some ditches in it and fencerows around it, located behind an industrial park. Its in Taylor so anyone else that runs there our days are numbered. I ran there anyway and had some good running around the edges of the area, but I am sure this spot wont be good for running dogs much longer. Just thought I would post this as I met some folks from this forum out there a few times and found out about from someone on here. Thats the second spot I have lost for running in the past year. Pretty soon there wont be tree within a hundred miles of me. :hammer:

UPDATE:
I have been back to this spot a few times and today I met someone else there today running dogs. It seemed to me that they have stopped working for some reason but, while talking with him, he said he heard from others that they are not going to build here but were just cleaning it up. They have removed all the junk piles, removed the boards from the empty building, and hauled in gravel to fill the field that they cleared out. They also have security cameras on the empty buildings now and they have created barriers to keep trucks from getting back in there for four wheelin.

Any way we had some great running today and I met a new beagler friend I plan to run with again. Our dogs ran good together and they all realy pounded, especially this one rabbit that took them around the entire area. Just wanted to update those on here that thought this spot was a no go, it is still there. :cool:
Last edited by Househounds on Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

48180 Hunter

Re: Good running spot "bull-dozed"

Post by 48180 Hunter »

Hey Househounds that was my favorite place too run less than 5 minutes away from the house, been running the dogs there for quite a few years. Have a few more around here in Taylor but not as good as there.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

Yeah,
I was shocked as I was just there a few weeks ago before the big snow and when I went there yesterday I see these big berms of snow and dirt pushed up and when I climbed overthem I could not believe my eyes. I felt like I was having a nightmare. :shock: I am not sure how much longer till they begin building, but they must be in a hurry to do that in the middle of winter. It was wierd...

buckshot464

Post by buckshot464 »

Its happening everywhere, Went for a ride today looking over some old spots we used to hunt, Nothing but houses everywhere. Its just unreal how fast the urban spral is hitting everywhere. They always seem to build in the good rabbit spots. Wish I was a bagilionaire I would buy me a couple thousand acres.
sorry to hear about it.
buckshot464

team fudd

Post by team fudd »

I have been saying it for years, I live in south central ohio and very soon unless you own land you will not have a place to hunt. We are very quickly becoming a country of have and have nots and the hard workin middle class among us will very soon not be able to afford the sport we love. The wife and I are making the acquisition of land and a home on it for the boys number one priority. I have spots to hunt now and good runnin too but every year see one two or three get leased up, developed or ruined in some way. Good luck in finding a spot to take the place of your honey hole, FUDD

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

same thing here in ky. blocking off and selling farms. owners of the 5 acre tracts dont want anyone on them. owners of the farms lease the hunting rights and when it comes to paying to run dogs or rabbit hunt I will be completely done. it is a shame but in 20 years hunting will be a rich mans game.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Almost the same happened to me Sunday , due to health issue's I've not been out in several months , Sunday I felt good & decided to go loaded up & arrived at my honey hole about 7:30AM only to find the spot which is about 6 ac. of brairs , honeysuckle and stick weed and another several ac. of broom straw and bushy stuff . It was clean to the dirt and the brush piles were still smoltering . Same story at several other spots I run on . Not looking too good for us rabbit runners .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

I had an awesome spot bulldozed about 3-4 years ago. It was at the back of a field on the farm that a guy lets me hunt. It was so thick with briars and rabbits that we'd spend 6-8 hours in the same 10-15 acre chunk and have running the entire day. The farmer cleared it all out to extend his field. :( I guess I can't blame him for wanting to utilize every piece of his property. And while it's better than seeing houses go into it's place it still sucked to see happen.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I think idle ground is gonna be a thing of the past, watch the price of corn, beans and wheat.

Order some seed and get grandpa to show you how to garden and grandma to show yur wife how to can. My boy still loves to come home and get out into the garden and work. Seeing him take off the purdy city clothes and getting dirty and sweaty out in the garden, you can see him having a good time at it and he can eat as good as he can pick beans :lol:
Noth'in better than gett'n yur hands dirty... ;)

We got some fellers cutt'in trees and limbs under the power lines along the county, I thought, boy, we're gonna have some brushpiles for the rabbits now, but they come along the next day with one of them chipper machines and made mulch outta the whole lot :(

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

BABY BOOMERS, HOUSING DEVELOPERS, INFLATION, TAXES ADD UP TO THIS.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Househounds wrote:Went to my best runing spot today and found that it had been cleared out for putting up buildings or something. It was an overgrown field with some ditches in it and fencerows around it, located behind an industrial park. Its in Taylor so anyone else that runs there our days are numbered. I ran there anyway and had some good running around the edges of the area, but I am sure this spot wont be good for running dogs much longer. Just thought I would post this as I met some folks from this forum out there a few times and found out about from someone on here. Thats the second spot I have lost for running in the past year. Pretty soon there wont be tree within a hundred miles of me. :hammer:
when I ran my dogs I would go to rouge park in detroit lots of rabbits.
TheJohnBirchSociety

mjd

Post by mjd »

ive lost count of all the places we hunted and farmed over the years that are now housing additions or the woods turned into farm ground,its getting really hard to find a place to run dogs around here unless your in a beagle club or conservation club,best place to find a rabbit in this area is in town

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

sbeagler wrote:BABY BOOMERS, HOUSING DEVELOPERS, INFLATION, TAXES ADD UP TO THIS.
You'll be glad to know, the boomer lost his life savings in the stock market, the pension fund went bankrupt, the merger and acquisition cut his job, they foreclosed on the house and due to inflation and rising taxes, he's move back to town to an assisted living housing project.

You'll be free to hunt again as soon as the cover grows back.

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

The field behind me is full of fence rows, ditches and piles of stacked trees which made wonderful place for rabbits. A bull dolzer went through there to, knocking ut some of the trees_ but to the better! They piled the trees into two huge stacks creating homes for many of the areas rabbits.

unfortuanatly, this year, when I took my dog out there,other than the rabbits living under my shed and in th the fencerow we barely jumped a single rabbit. The large dog like tracks soon was my answer. The coyote population is up and I think the rabbits are hesitant to leave my yard. So, this year I mostly took to running my hound in the hundred acre swamp I had permission. We had good succes there till the blizzard of 2011. The goings have been tough since then.

as development builds in other places, it seems here in michigan there has been a lot of standing, abandoned overgrown fields and lots. I'm thinking about checking out an overgrown farm that has sat for a year and seeing if we can get a rabbit up there.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I have been back to this spot a few times and today I met someone else there today running dogs. It seemed to me that they have stopped working for some reason but, while talking with him, he said he heard from others that they are not going to build here but were just cleaning it up. They have removed all the junk piles, removed the boards from the empty building, and hauled in gravel to fill the field that they cleared out. They also have security cameras on the empty buildings now and they have created barriers to keep trucks from getting back in there for four wheelin.

Any way we had some great running today and I met a new beagler friend I plan to run with again. Our dogs ran good together and they all realy pounded, especially this one rabbit that took them around the entire area. Just wanted to update those on here that thought this spot was a no go, it is still there. :cool: