Pup testing my patience

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jfields

Pup testing my patience

Post by jfields »

Most of you probably seen the pup I had on here for sale that I took off and how I stated she wasnt suiting me. well here is the situation. She started off normal like any other pup running in and out but mostly in. If she seen me she would come to me no matter what was going on. She has quit doing that and stays in with the other dogs most of the time now. She has started going off on her own and hunting and honors the other dogs if someone strikes. She still isnt opening a lot but is opening some. She still tries to play sometimes but for the most part is hunting. She cries and whines everytime I go to the kennel to load up , So she is wanting to go. Today she jumped a rabbit , But 30 minutes later she is trying to play again. Most of the time I catch her trying to play is when I first drop out and if I call the dogs in and they are running toward me fast. She is 8 1/2 months old. Im use to my pups running good at this age. She is improving a little every time out but sure is taking her time about it. One minute I want to give her away the next minute Im wondering if im making a mistake. Has anyone had a pup like this that seems to do better each time out but is very slow about doing it? One guy told me that these usually make the better dogs. Just wondering
Breed Em Good & Run Em Hard
http://shadywoodzkennels.tripod.com/index.html
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

Cooz's Beagles

Re: Pup testing my patience

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

You're lucky your pup is even running rabbits! The pup I have taken out with my other beagle since three mobths old, is now five months old and still hasn't started. She has great hunting bloodlines, good nose, small and loves running through the brush, so maybe time will tell? I would give your pup till it's twelve months old then if it still didn't run to my liking, I'd sell him. I'm new to beagling so maybe my own pup just needs time? Hope you figure it out! :D

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

still pups wouldn`t worry about whats going on .If she hunting at all & running some then give her time .you cant take a 7 year old girl out and expect her to act like an adult all the time same with pup.the biggest key to traing is give them oppertunities & be patient.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have one now like that and have a 6 yr old that started like that, The 6yr old is a solid hound and the, now 10 month old, is really turning it on. We killed a few rabbits in front of her and the playing slowed way down to pretty much hittin the brush. I have seen the slow progressers make just as good of a hound. I have also held on too long to some. I would give till 11 months or so and go from there. JMO. Good luck.

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

I've got a pup...or dog...that's about a year and a half. She was in a kennel all her life and was never ran or hunted. I brought her home and within a week I had her in the starting pen. In a couple weeks time she was running rabbits really good. I've still got alot of work to do with her, but she's coming around just fine IMO.

I would give her some time, if she has the blood in her I'd say she will eventually get the hang of things.

Matt

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

My pup is 15 months old. & is about to drive me nuts. It took him forever to really start. He would sometimes show me some good things , & then he'd get all stupid. He was so slow to progress. He still sometimes acts like a pup. His problem now is he leaves the pack on a hard check & comes back to me. I've run him with 1 dog, 2 dogs or my pack. And I've been soloing him only the past month. Don't matter. :mad2: Next month, he's going to a trainer with a runnin pen. After that, I'll decide what to do.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

jfields

Post by jfields »

I guarentee this one wont be here at 15 months if she doesnt change. I think she will change but after 12 months if not sooner she is gone.
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

lee broadley

Post by lee broadley »

i would not waste another minute on her. give her away, probibly to someone in utica, ky :lol: :lol: :lol: just kiddind patience & if you do get rid of her find a youth they will give the dog years & be happy with it.jmo

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

I feel your pain :D . I have a young male that has tested my patience this year. He started quick ,hunts hard and runs a good rabbit but also wanted to run deer, fox and even house cat. After alot of work (and voltage :D ) and nearly a whole gun season.....I can finally say that he's making a good one. I can't tell you how many times that I was going to put him on the board for FREE. I'm glad I didn't now. Hang in there . :cool:

jfields

Post by jfields »

This pup has really improved. She is starting to catch on. Heard her open full throttle last night for the first time. The playing is 90% gone. Just took this one a little longer than I am use to.
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

Was the runnin good last night.
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

jfields

Post by jfields »

Mike , It was pretty good. It was windy but still had some good running. I jumped 3 where we ran yesterday morning and 2 more at the sand bags I put 8 hours on those two pups yesterday. Should be good tonight with this drizzle we have.
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003