Surviving pup question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tiffinis

Surviving pup question

Post by tiffinis »

Ok, as some know, we lost 4 out of a litter of 5. I have never had this happen before. This pup is still going strong. VERY active and nurses a LOT. However, after 8 days he still has not gained any weight. I have started supplementing his nursing with puppy formula a couple of times a day. I wonder since there is only one pup if the mother's milk is drying up? The amount of time he spends voraciously nursing, he should be gaining weight. I am wondering about other supplements that may be added. Any personal experience?
Patch Addict

mike crabtree

Re: Surviving pup question

Post by mike crabtree »

If he hasnt gained any weight he should look bony by now. He surely has gotten longer. Ive not had a bitch dry up while nursing 1 pup before. Her milk must be the reason the others died. He surely should be growing in length and weight. Do you have scales that weigh down to tenth of ounces?
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

half ounces. Wasnt the milk. They got fading puppy syndrome.
Patch Addict

mayberry1

Post by mayberry1 »

Im going through the same problem but fortunatly i have only lost one pup. I have upped the dam's calorie intake and have been giving her milkade from happy jack. She still has milk in some of her tits, but not all. She looks like she she has never had pups. Her milk looks like it never dropped. she actually looks pretty good, but not like she should after having 8 puppies.

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

quinnsbeagles

Post by quinnsbeagles »

I have had to take and pinch the teets to see if the milk was still coming out and find ones that still had milk and put the pup on them. She shouldnt be dried up yet. If that doesnt work they sell powdered milk for newborn puppies right at walmart with a special bottle. Also did you ever get enough pics for your calender?

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

Quinns...nope
Patch Addict

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

On the flip side, he is VERY active. Crawled from mom's belly all the way up to lay on MIL's arm... yes she is sitting up. He was also up on all 4s today rocking like he was trying to figure out how to make them go faster!
Patch Addict

south mtn beagles

Post by south mtn beagles »

I had several in the last couple of years and we would give goats milk from tsc,in all I think we lost about 9-10 pups but kept 2 alive on the goats milk.

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

Here is what we recommend:
http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

We DON'T use Esbilac, Hartz Puppy Forumla, etc - they are too low quality/calories and we've lost pups on them before.

We've raised many pups on Just Born Formula from Walmart, which is very good - but we can no longer find it.

The homemade formula has proven to be even better than Just Born Formula.

It saved a pup for us this past week, and several friends have tried it with their Beagle pups with excellent results.

*Feed 1cc/mL per ounce of body weight every 3-4 hours
*Weigh the pup with a food scale

Hope this helps.

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

He is gaining weight and thriving. It seems like you can actually watch him grow daily. Actually starting to believe this one is going to make it!
Patch Addict

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Glad to hear that Tif! I bet he's gonna be a special lil hound!

FORDWRENCH

Post by FORDWRENCH »

i use the same recipe beagler gave you in the link. there is alot of good info in that page. hope that pup makes out!
Throw me to the wolves and i will return leading the pack!