AKC RIP OFF

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

warddog

AKC RIP OFF

Post by warddog »

After forgetting to send in my registration papers for two pups I kept I found out that there is a $35.00 late registration fee. I was always of the understanding that if the breeder kept pups they could perminently register them in their own name at any time. I guess I must have gotten that confused but i was sure I had done it before. Well it's going to cost me $110.00 to register the pups that will not take any more or less than it would have had I got the paperwork to them by the late date cited on the registration form. I think this is another bunch of BS! :angryfire:

bill huttozac

Re: AKC RIP OFF

Post by bill huttozac »

Warddog writes "After forgetting to send in my registration papers for two pups I kept I found out that there is a $35.00 late registration fee. I was always of the understanding that if the breeder kept pups they could perminently register them in their own name at any time".

You are correct, but at any time up to a point in time. It is called a penalty. The same as when you do not pay your taxes by the deadline. Late fees on installment payments. etc.

One way to avoid this in the future. It is what I do. IMO, If a bitch is good enough to breed, the pups are good enough to keep and prove. So... name and register the whole litter in your name at $10.00 each. Those that are sold will have full Registeration Certificates but will cost the buyer $20.00 to have the pup registered in the buyer's name (same amount as if on puppy papers). Upside ? ..... The ones you keep are already registered to you, no more forgetting and late fees. Downside ? The buyer of one of the pups wants to name it and does not like the one you gave it. Sign a authorization permitting the buyer to change the dogs name with AKC.

I have paid a late fee or two myself so I understand you being a bit edgy.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

do what i just found out you can do--- if its late then send/fax in a copy of the sire and dams ped to the specialty registration and then its 30.00 bucks no matter what with no late fees...
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

mtthwvn73

Post by mtthwvn73 »

Just got the papers in today that I had to pay a late fee on. It was I think 55 dollars. I didn't expect to pay that much...but after talking to the people on here i figured it was worth it since I was going to breed her.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I understand it's called a penalty BUT my question is why would the breeder be penalized for not sending in the registration papers within a year when they have ALL of it in their possession? What are they being penalized for as there is certainly no law against not registering them within a year, the paperwork involved is exactly the same, if the $35.00 fee is paid whoever pays it will get the exact same pappers through the exact same process that they could have gotten just 30 days prior minus the $35.00 fee. I'm saying it is a rip off to obtain more money when the service provided is not pone bit different than if it were done 30 days prior to the date cited on the registration form. How can that substantiate a price increase when there is nothing extra provided? Makes no sense to me other than ripping people off for an extra $35.00 per registration.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Contacted AKC service rep via e-mail today and received a response pretty quickly. He waived the late fee and I have now sent in my registration papers for the two pups. Must have agreed that there was no need for such a fee in this case.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Good for you Warddog,
In the UK, the Master registers the pups when they are entered into the pack, no sense registering the culls or drafts, keeping pack hounds is an expensive endeavor, no need wasting money that could instead be used for keeping hounds healthy, happy and hunted... ;)

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

AKC will do a lot of things contrary to what they say they must do. I had a male that i breed 4 times in one year. After i registered the third litter they sent me a letter telling me before i could register a fourth litter in that same year i would have to have the stud DNA'd. I sent off and got the kit and swabed him and sent it back in. You have to wait 6 to 8 weeks on the results. About the second week i called and told them i needed the results because i needed to register the fourth litter. AKC told me to go ahead and go on line and register the fourth litter because this would not have anything to do with having the sire DNA'd, so that's what did and i got the pups registered.

Incahoots

Post by Incahoots »

I'm glad they gave you a waiver but... The mistake was yours though. The applications for each pup have the date due to avoid a late fee in bold.

Once DNA sample is recieved and is logged into the database requirement is fulfilled. The DNA profile does take close to 8 weeks but your obligation is complete once sample is received.
Our Dirty Pond Beagles "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in."
-M. Twain