Dog down...with kidney failure...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Clyde Gott

Dog down...with kidney failure...

Post by Clyde Gott »

Just talked to my Vet…I’ve got a 7 yr old Homebrew female…that’s been diagnosed with kidney failure…she won’t eat…she’s still drinking water…doc said when she starts throwing up the water…it wouldn’t be long….

He said there might be a one in a million chance that her kidneys will start working again…I don’t want to prolong what appears to be the obvious…

I guess I was hoping someone might have a suggestion…before I have her put down….

Thanks,

Clyde Gott
Crowley’s Ridge Beagles
clydeegott@hotmail.com
(870) 802-4082 Ext. 106 (work)
(870) 586-0644
Clyde Gott
Crowley's Ridge Beagles
http://www.thespoboard.com

Jack

Post by Jack »

I feel for you. I had the very same thing happen with a very good Foxhound bitch. I waited hopeing the odds would work for me. Knowing better I allowed this good bitch to die a slow death. Had I , the c hance to do it over I hope I would be man enough to do the right thing. This a terible bad thing that happens.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sorry Clyde, that is a bad thing to have happen. No remedy at this point that I know of.

Can I ask one question for my own information, not placing blame anywhere? Did you worm with Ivermectin?

John

Jack

Post by Jack »

John, I did and at that time we were injecting a full cc under the skin.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Sorry about your loss too Jack.

Clyde and I have a strong kinship and I was just thinking about his dog and his deliema(sp) and left you out. Sorry!

I'm studying on my own locally this frequent continuing happening to Beagle hounds mainly and hunting hounds generally with their relatively early age Kidney and Liver problems that bring on their early deaths and the corrolation if any to what folks are worming or medicating with.

Its just a question, but something to think about.

Ed Brown

dog down with kidney failure

Post by Ed Brown »

Lost a 7 year old bitch with kidney failure too. Wonder if bitches are more prone and is the age a factor too. Something I also heard is that feeding dog food with real high protein may be bad for the kidneys. Beats the prunes out of me. :roll:

Jack

Post by Jack »

I think it helps to carry water where there is no water handy. I know going with out water harms the kidneys. I have had males die the same way. It is very very dry here and I feel that the body getting very dry time and time again is hurtful to the kidneys.

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

Ed beat me to it, but I agree that in our effort to squeeze every ounce of performance out of our hounds, the feeding of ultra-high protein feeds may be the culprit in some kidney failure. In my opinion, no hound needs 30% protein feed.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Being a USDA food inspector I have seen numerous times where cattle have been fed real high protein feed to put weight on to get them to market quicker. When slaughtered the liver and or the kindeys are full of abcesses, leisions, dead tissue and generally Burned up due to the "HOT" feed. The carcasses are in great flesh with excellent fat cover and marbeling , however the livers/kidneys are about shot.

B.Trull

Kidney failure

Post by B.Trull »

Sorry to hear your problem. It happened to me also 2 yrs ago with a 6 yr old bitch. Only hound I ever owned who caught rabbits and bring them too me alive. My pack was never the same till this year missing ole Bessie and I never got a litter out of her. I think in beagles this might be more common. Nope, not really anything you can do. none of my other breed of dogs have ever had this problem on high protein food, or myself and I take creatine on a regular basis also. I think that is an ole wives/vet tale about the high protein bs.

Brad
LOnePine Kennels

rimshot

Post by rimshot »

Sorry about your dogs, I've been down that road many times. When they quit eating, they are a dead dog. Every dog I lose is to kidney problems. I would like to know if it is something that I'm doing wrong.

I notice a change in thier tail, the hair is not as full. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but this was the first sign I saw and I was right. The last dog I lost was only 5 years old. It's hard to replace them good one's. Good hunting to all..

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Warddog, do you know what has been given to the cattle to rid them of parasites (worms)? I'm leaning that way. Heck, just a year or so ago, we had someone on oneof tese boards suggesting using a type of poison because it was cheaper and you could buy it in a big bag for a few bucks. Hope I got the facts straight on wwwhat it was, I'm going by memory and that's dangerous for me!!!. Anyway, it was something like that.

Should this be on another and new thread, if so, will someone start one.

Something is wrong for so many dogs to be dying early (5-7) and of mainly liver or kidney failure.

My brother had a Beagle to live to 17 and was still running slowly at 15.

Having them live to 10-12 was not unusual years ago, but what changed?

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

Brad, not to be argumentative but Cornell University has done extensive testing on the effects of high protein diet on canine kidneys and though not conclusive; there does seem to be evidence that it may be harmful in some individuals. Not to say that is the culprit in this case but I certainly listen when Cornell speaks.

Jack

Post by Jack »

Protein is part of the probelm I am sure, I spent a lot of money trying to save the best bitch I ever had. I was wanting some pups from her and had taken her to many Vets hopeing to find one that would tell me what I wanted to hear. Each and every one told me, maybe you can prolong her death by feeding her a low protein diet. I learned from this, when the kidneys fail its over.

Post by Guest »

I think it is a combination of factors. Here is one to think about. A freind in my beagle club has had a terrible time with losing dogs at 3 to 5 years with liver and/or kidney disease. He has an older brother nextdoor who keeps the same line of dogs. They feed the same feed (Purina - Hi-pro winter & dogchow summer). My friend worms and medicates the dogs in both kennels in exactly the same way including ivomec monthly. He run shis hard (some in our club says "too hard") one to times a week year round . His brother's rarely get out. The brothers dogs routinely go beyond 10 yrs. and some make it to 15 and has had NO premature deaths due to kidney/liver disease. You have have really got me to thinking about the water issue. HUM?????????????????