Frusrating pup!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dale L.

Frusrating pup!

Post by Dale L. »

Hey guys I have a question. I have a 9 month old male. He is started and will run pretty good by himself but put him with another dog and he is a complete idiot. My male can jump a rabbit and the pup will hark but just wants to jump all over him instead of putting his nose down and running the rabbit. Put him on the ground with a female and you might as well forget it. He is glued to her rear end the entire hunt. This pup has at times shown great ability but at other times shows more stupidity than any pup I have worked with. I know he is still young but have any of you guys ever had a pup that acted like this toward a female. And if so do they outgrow it or will it get worse with age. I am as frustrated as I have ever been with any pup. Which could be because I paid more for him than any pup before also. I sure wish Buzzsaw was still around. I have never had a pup so easy to train as my Buzzsaw male was!

rabbitsmoker

Re: Frusrating pup!

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Im agree i hate a dog that constantly smelling of females thats why i have 7 gips and no males if he were mine i would let him run his nose up to her and SHOCK the pee out of him Female comes in one time a year a male is in from the time thier born till they die Your pup will probaly grow out alot of the nonsense but never knw about a male good luck

raccoon crk kennel

Post by raccoon crk kennel »

i think like the previos poster let him get a nose full crank the ol tri tronics on 6 AND FRY HIS BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klrconcrete

Post by klrconcrete »

I will start by saying that I have kept females and females only for quite some time now, simply because I have had better success with them than with males. To each their own. I really dont have a good answer that is anything more than an opinion and that would be say good bye to him and move on. The two brain deads that recommended shocking him maybe right on the money but again in nothing more than my opinion I dont think you will stop this.
Not afraid to think outside the box or walk outside the crowd.

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

I`ve seen this a lot out of male pups they usally grow out of it .but it can take up to 2 yrs.If it`s a good pup be patient if you dont have the patience to wait him out then cut your loses now.

jumpNrun

Post by jumpNrun »

i luckly dont have any males that do this but my buddy has one he thinks is goin to make a good dog i think he has no brains and just follows and barks when the scent is hot and when it breaks down for a check he starts smelling and tryn to mount all dogs or well the ones who dont stop him with some teeth i would give his ass away and hes out of some good dogs they say i can disagree no pedigree is good enough for that kinda behavior just pray for him he may stop it may take a ride on the lightning to stop him time will tell solo that sucker go to a pin somethin run with another male c what happens
LpGrch Lpbch Smith's Blue Goose 1st 2012 Il state hunt-1st 2013 Indiana state hunt-2nd 2013 Grand Nationals- Best of show In State
Lprch Hbch Smith's Blue Moon
Lprch Smith's Rolling Sweet Lucy (RIP)

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Here's my opinion. He is very YOUNG. I believe he will outgrow this. No need to shock at this point...shock collars are way over-used imo. (It always kind of cracks me up how some guys take pleasure in describing how they "Fry" their dogs...geez.) Anyway, give him plenty of solo time and then break him into running with the females. Remember, he is only 9 months. Some hounds aren't even started by then. Be patient with him. Again, just my .02

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

Ok I wanted to update on this post. I believe I was a little too hard on this pup. I had hunted him with one of my brothers females on a saturday and one of mine the next week. But it turns out that both females came in heat a few days after each hunt. So I guess you can't really blame him there. As far as shocking I am not a big fan of "frying" a pup for things like this. I prefer to use the collar for trash breaking mainly. Since my original post I have been soloing this pup about 3 times a week. I hope I can begin to go more than that soon. He is hunting much better and is running pretty well now for his age. He actually ran a rabbit saturday morning for about 30-40 minutes. This wasn't a constant race but there were several breakdowns. However he impressed me with his patience and persistence in the check area. Due to the breakdowns I got to watch this rabbit do some backtracking and zigzagging and I have to say I was pleased with how this pup handled it. He still needs a lot of work but I think with plenty of spring running this pup could become a good one. I guess I learned a lesson in patience. Thanks for everyones replies and advice.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Dale, the best of Buzz is still around. He has a son named Hoss, I believe. I have two pups out of him and a Buzz female of mine, half bro half sis cross and both pups are 4 months old and act like grown hounds. I never saw pups as serious to search and keep their noses on the ground at such an early age. Look around. Check with Lynn Perkins and see what he has to say about a half brother half sister cross, he has two also.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991