Retriever Dog Food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dannycrlsn

Retriever Dog Food

Post by dannycrlsn »

My local feed store where I have been buying dogfood for many years is going out of business and I am forced to find another supplier. Today I purchased Retriever Hi-Protein Brand Dog Food (27% protein & 17% fat) at the local Tractor Suppply Store. Is anyone out there using this feed? Is it any good? I have been feeding Pride Brand dogfood either the 22% protein & 16% fat or the 24% protein and 20% fat with good results and am wondering how this will compare with the Retriever brand?

chapkosbeagles

Re: Retriever Dog Food

Post by chapkosbeagles »

you will like it the dogs do well on it. it is perina hi pro i think tractor supply bought the contract and it is sold as retriver that is what i was told by a sale associate

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Is it any good?
Relative term......any good compared to what.....?

Compared to Purina High Pro, its in a simialar category.

Compared to Purina Pro Plan, or other premium foods like EVO, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, no its not any good.

I personally don't like grain based foods, but if you do, then this will not be much different. If a person is accustomed to eating hot dogs, is there a big difference between oscar myer and ball park franks? If a person is accustomed to Ribeye steak, and you give him a hot dog, its not as good. It all depends on what your accustomed to and what you expect from dog food.

If you go through TSC, they offer a multi-bag discount.

Mybeagles
Last edited by mybeagles on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

well said my beagles that is the best way to put it .
my dogs do good on this food but there is not a day that my hounds dont get table scraps in fact my girlfriend makes extra for the dogs every night. with out all the table scraps i dont know how they would hold up. with house scraps i have had 2 dogs down since 7 oclock yesterday morning and just checked on them this morning. they were still running strong. i will go catch them up at 3 when i take my girlfriend to work. i figure 33 hours stright and i will see who is still running the strongest tank or ace :nod:

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Chap,

You never fail to top my best when it comes to dogs.......

I had two dogs run hare all day when I had to leave them for an emergency at home, didn't find them until the next morning about 20 hours total and they were still running but they were extremely lame. Barely walking and boo hooing the track.......they didnt come out of their dog houses for 2 days. I actually had to put their food inside their box. Their eyes were crusted over and they looked pretty rough.......If they would have run 33 straight hours like yours I think they would have died or at least colapsed.

Maybe I need to change from Taste of the Wild to the Retriever brand so I can get more out of my hounds........OR, maybe I should just shoot mine and TRY to buy one of yours :nod:

Mybeagles
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

MY BEAGLES JUST SEND YOUR TOUGHTEST HOUND OVER HERE I WILL GET IT IN THE SHAPE TO RUN FOR DAYS

AS FAR AS FEET I STAND ALL MY DOGS IN PICKEL JUICE TO MAKE THERE FEET HARD EVERY NIGHT (I KNOW IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE BUT IT WORKS)

AS FAR AS THERE EYES THEY WONT HAVE ANY HAIR LEFT AROUND THEM AND THEY WONT BE ABLE TO OPEN THEM FOR A FEW HOURS.

AS FAR AS DIET LIKE I SAID MY DOGS GET PEOPLE FOOD EVERYDAY MIXED IN WITH RETRIEVER A TEA SPOON OF BODY FORTRESS SUPER ADVANCED WHEY PROTEIN 1 EGG AND A FISH OIL PILL EVERY DAY. THIS MAKES FOR A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT OF PROTEIN. I EAT HEALTHY SO THEY DO GET THERE CARBS AND VEGTABLES TOO ;)

LIKE I SAID I WILL GO BACK OUT ABOUT 1 OCLOCK AND IT WILL BE INTRESTING TO SEE WHO IS DOING WHAT :nod: I KNOW TANK DIDENT LOOK TO SHABY THIS MORNING

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I really don't need a dog to be able to run more than 12 hours, which is all the daylight you have in the winter. I like to be there when my dogs are running so I can see what's they are doing. No reason to put my dogs through no hair on their face and pickle juice on their feet if Im not getting anything out of it.

I run year around, but I usually only get about 20 hours a week of running. If I have time off, Ill get 30-40 hours in a week but thats about my limit.

I will let a dog solo while Im doing yard work or even run solo at night while I set on the deck and listen, depending on the dog.

I'm pretty sure my dogs could handle more running, but if I get them 20 hours a week I don't get any kennel barking, they look strong and ready to go when I'm ready. For me the key is consistency, and mine seem to be programed for what I like ......it sounds like yours are programed for what you like.....

Mybeagles
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

i just had to go pick the up my tracker batterys were going to die. they were not running they were walking the track but the rabbit are running on top of the snow now and the dogs were falling thew the ICE up to there chest and there legs are a little beat up,but not bad. I FEEL I COULD RUN THEM IN THE MORNING IF I HAD TO EAT. ;) i want to get tank in super shape to get him ready for some trialing. when i take him i want to know he has more running hours than anyother dog there so his lungs are under him. he is not the fastest dog so he needs to have endurance and the toughness to outlast the compatition with his relentless pace.

last night the dogs were running on top of the crust i set out there in the the car and listened to them run until 1 oclock and this morning they were still only sinking in a 1 or 2 inches i gave them a warm bath and they are in there room on there bed(the easy life) neither ate any food

LIKE YOU SAID PROGRAMED FOR ME AND,MAKE ME PROUD MOST OF THE TIME AND I WILL TELL YA ABOUT IT :D

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Chap,

With all the compliments you have had for all the judges and people associated with field trials you should expect to do pretty well!

Mybeagles
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

How " DEEP " did you say it was ?
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

deerstalker

Post by deerstalker »

I have been feeding my 5 dogs this feed since Hi-Pro left the shelves, and I can't tell any difference in energy or stool. My dogs don't have any problems eating it either, they love it. It's all I feed, no scraps, and I feed the same amount as I did Hi-Pro. Basically the same stuff in my opinion.
Bryan
If I was doin any better today, I couldn't stand it!

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

LR: You referring to the snow?

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I have used it with good results, I change up just to give them a little variety and also cost. If good food is on sale I am all for that, with 14 mouths to feed I am always looking! Ha! You are going to get alot of opinions about any topic, I try to use common sense and if they eat it and hunt with no problems it can't be all bad! That is my opinion! Ha! Kerry
Kerry in Maryland McGrath Road Beagles

Matt Wilson

Post by Matt Wilson »

whenever your around old chappy you better have your waders on :lol:
river road beagles

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

hay matt all the trialing you do i would like to sell you a good dog for a good price so you know what it is like to win. with ALL YOUR SLICK HANDLING YOU MIGHT WIN THE WORLD HUNT :lol: