What Shotgun "and shells" do you use?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

northernhare

Re: What Shotgun "and shells" do you use?

Post by northernhare »

Browning Citori Lighting O/U 1st barrel - Improved cyl. 2nd barrel - Modified

Low brass 7.5 shot
Run to catch!!!

dogrich

Post by dogrich »

.410 T/C Encore, 10" barrel. 3" #6's

or

Browning Citori Lightning Feather 16 gauge O/U. 1oz of #6's

90% of the time I'll use the Encore pistol, but when I know I'll get into pheasant and/or grouse, I'll take the 16 ga O/U.

MAINESNOWSHOEHUNTER

Post by MAINESNOWSHOEHUNTER »

Remington youth model 870 pump with improve choke and 7.5 shot. I small light gun that still has range for the farther shots.

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

I use a Stoeger 20 ga. SxS. One barrel mod. and the other imp. cyl. Typically I drop low brass #6 on both sides. Occasionally, I will drop in a high brass #6 or #5 in the mod barrel if long shots are available. That way I have one barrel for short shots and one barrel for long shots. I have killed quite a few rabbits at over 50 yards w/ a high brass shell.

I have also used low brass #7 1/2 and even #8 shot w/ success. I will say that it seems if you shoot them w/ 7 1/2 or 8 the rabbit is always still alive when you get to it. I prefer #6 bc I feel the extra weight in the shot puts the rabbit down faster.
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

hillsidebeagles

Post by hillsidebeagles »

winchesters Model 37 i think 16 g with high brass #6 mod barrel need to be at least 30 yards or u dig out the pellets
Hillside Beagles
Hunting And Raiseing puppys

lined out

Post by lined out »

For the guys that use the .410 pistol (encore/contender)...how do you guys carry em? I use .410 contender but having trouble with the holster I use. Wondering if any of you have any other ideas.

Thanks.

Post by 870 »

Franchi 48 20 GA. Whatever 1 oz of #6 is on sale. I use IC almost all the time. Sometimes I go MOD when hunting in the desert like jack rabbits.

Just picked up a 12 gauge beretta 3901 synthetic. Too heavy for upland but plan to use it in bad weather and as backup.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I use a Magnum Research BFR .410 with reloads using #8 Magnum lead shot and extended cup wads. Seems to be a great combo.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

DIXIEDOG , that revolver is a very nice gun. My brother in law owns one and I've shot it. It shoots very well. I have a TC contender with 14" barrel that also shoots well. But only one shot so gotta make it count.

APFII

Post by APFII »

Beretta 686 onyx pro --28ga--cylinder and improved cylinder---3/4 oz of 6 shot--2 3/4 in shell. :D

will_81

Post by will_81 »

Thompson Center G2 Contender .410 with 12" barrel
3' shells whatever i can find
I'll admit I occasionally have to pass up a rabbit that circles over 30 yds. out, but if they're closer than that and not on the dead run they're usually dead. I hunt in the thick stuff mostly, so being able to carry a pistol in a holster is a huge plus.

dogrich

Post by dogrich »

lined out wrote:For the guys that use the .410 pistol (encore/contender)...how do you guys carry em? I use .410 contender but having trouble with the holster I use. Wondering if any of you have any other ideas.

Thanks.
I never could get comfortable w/ any of the holsters I tried w/ my Encores and Contenders. And I spent some money on some... :ashamed: The best holster I used for the Encore/Contender pistol was a custom leather bandoleero job that I found at a gun show. It worked reasonably well. But even that bandoleero style was still uncomfortable in the way the weight was distributed. Belt holsters for the Encore/Contenders are a joke. The gun, eventhough it's a pistol, is just too heavy for your belt to be holding up. I'm not a big fan of the shoulder holsters either for a pistol that big.

My favorite way to carry my 10" Encore is unloaded, and in the front loading game pouch of a Columbia Grouse Vest. It sits upside-down (barrel flat at the bottom w/ the grip up), and slightly left. The weight is well distributed across the vest. The gun is well protected and secure (I've been doing it this way for years, and I've never even had a "close-call" w/ it dropping out of the vest even when I'm clawing and crawling through the thickest thickets.). I probably could carry it loaded, but I don't shoot on the "jump" anyway. It's just as easy to pull it out of the vest and load it up once the dogs are on the trail.

The .410 Encore/Contender is one-heck-of-a-bunny-gun! :nod:

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

lined out wrote:For the guys that use the .410 pistol (encore/contender)...how do you guys carry em? I use .410 contender but having trouble with the holster I use. Wondering if any of you have any other ideas.

Thanks.
[/quote]

I bought a shoulder strapped holster made for a large pistol at Cabela's. It might have even been made specifically for the
TC pistol , but can't remember. I've used it now for about 7-8 yrs. and like it just fine. It's black and made of nylon I believe.Can't remember the brand though. If I can , I'll try to get a picture of it.

Check out this Thompson Center site. It has a holster in the accessories tag.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Ithaca 37 16 gauge with regular and high brass 6.5s Usually gets the job done. I like an improved cylinder choke.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

marlin semi auto .22 long rifle with a bushnell scope ,and 20 Ga mossberg pump mod
Last edited by sbadger on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10