salt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

packmaster

salt

Post by packmaster »

now is a good time to put salt out for the rabbits.I bust up a few salt blocks,and toss the chunks around the areas I run.I have been doing this for several yrs,and have seen a noticeable increase in rabbit numbers.even on state lands that get hunted hard.try it. it works.

cheatmountainman

Re: salt

Post by cheatmountainman »

I have been hearing that a lot lately and I am going to try it myself.

Jim Stinnett

Post by Jim Stinnett »

I do it this time of year too. It does work!
BRIAR BUSTEN BEAGLES
jstinnett@upgen.us
AKC & NKC REGISTERED BEAGLES
LAKE VILLAGE, IN
HOME OF: BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER
PCH CHAMPION / GRAND SHOW CHAMPION

Conley

Post by Conley »

I normally purchase the salt tablets used for water softeners, avoid those with added chemicals. I, too, see a big difference in numbers where I have added salt over the years...just drive around the area and toss cups of the tablets into the undergrowth..

DJC

Post by DJC »

I've used the white block salt with success. Anyone use the brown mineral salt blocks, just wondering if it is any better, for the extra $1 or 2.

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

Someone on the board here offered a suggestion that I accepted. He suggested the use of the round tablets used in rabbit cages. Sold in cases of 25 for around $5 at Farm Bureau or any other local feed store.

Joe

Donnie

Post by Donnie »

a man told me once he takes a 5 gallon bucket fills with warm water puts 2 cans of table salt in it.drops a bunch of sticks in it to soak a few days salt goes into the sticks when he runs dogs take a few drom them rabbits eat the sticks get the salt more rabbits.said salts to messy to cary but a pocket of sticks no mess...........while running the hounds pick a few sticks back up be ready for next weeks run
weasle

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

U can get a huge block of mineral salt for 8 bucks take a hammer and chistle break it up to chunks no real mess envolved I break it up baseball size put in bucket throw it out in the cover .I put in coffee container if need to carry long ways.Its suppose to increase litter sizes and survival rate.I try to put in several spots and in heavy cover to keep from drawing in preditors to them.If you dont kinda stash in brushpile u just feeding deer.

FreeHoller40

Post by FreeHoller40 »

Yea I heard the sulfer salt was good for this time of year and then around the winter mineral salt is the best... I am trying it this year myself... First time this year, I will let everyone know if it helps or not... this hunting season the rabbit population dropped tremendously, I have to try some how to build it up...
MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us:
http://www.cottonmouthbeagles.webs.com
~GRHBCH CH COTTONMOUTH'S RAGIN' CAJUN RUGER~
~GRHBCH CH CK'S HARE RAISIN' WHISKEY~
~HBCH CK'S BLACKBERRY MOONSHINE~

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

I too use the water softener pellets.Just fill gallon ziplock bags full and throw into the pockets of my coat ,so no mess.Throw them in all the thick brush piles while I'm running dogs and have seen where it results in more rabbits.

dave g

Post by dave g »

so what exactly does the salt do? does it aid in replenishing nutrients for breeding or does it just bring in more bunnies and make them easier to find.

later, dave

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Daveg, I honestly don't know for sure what it does but it does seem to help. Out behind my house the kids and I threw some out last spring and there were rabbits everywhere this past summer.....especially up around my back property line. Maybe it just brings them into an area or maybe it helps them survive/multiply. I really don't know for sure which or if it's both.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

I read somewhere that it helps in keeping parasites at bay or something to that effect.I know when trapping in an area with alot of rabbits ,I can't use fox urine at sets without the rabbits coming to the salt in it,so they activally seek it out.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

I use the brown mineral block about $5 at farm store put safety glasses on and use a hammer hit the corners first and break it up ,I put it under logs, heavy brush piles to keep the coyotes from getting a easy meal
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

don nash

Post by don nash »

what about using table salt
Don Nash
Stillwater Valley Kennel (est.1987)
http://www.freewebs.com/stillwaterkennel
Indian Hill's
R.I.P. Swift Run's Domino
"A man's ego is a very heavy burden for any pup to carry"