Most proven stud dog on the ground as of today

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chapkosbeagles

Re: Most proven stud dog on the ground as of today

Post by chapkosbeagles »

SHOOTER HAS PRODUCED MANY MORE JAKE THAT IS JUST THE CUPLE IN OUR BACK YARD BIG BOOTY JUDY WAS ANOTHER HIM AND RANGER DAN ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST IN THE AKC

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

i consider joe k.(green bay joe) a friend of mine,and he told me to breed to shooter a long time ago,i wish i wouldve listened to him then,but at that time i had other dogs that i was using locally,now that those dogs are old an basically unable to breed,i would love to breed to shooter.my vote goes to shooter: siring right around 70 litters "VS" producing "atleast" 11 fc's an counting!
Last edited by LaMarr Rhoades on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

fc snow rub buel, fc snow run Rita, fc whitney creek captain jack , fc green bAy moxi foxy, fc greenbay nemansket singer, fc green bAy hollyhunter, fc natures newborn double o buck,and ifc green bAy Butkus, fc greenbay million dollar baby.

Then there is FC Big Booty Judy, FC Glacier's Ridge Renegade, thats 11 so far.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

Yes I am sorry so I missed 2 dogs. I can't think of any other fc's produced by shooter. I know of a few with 2 wins thow.
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

ok ive been doing alot of thinking on this.Reggie wasnt just a good dog he was a great dog!!!!! reproducer or not a reproducer fact is he was a great dog.he done more in trials than any other dog that i know of.therefore even if he never throws a pup that runs a rabbit people will always take that chance that they might get the one thats like its father and be great also,and this is the reason why he has been bred so much,and to be honest i cant really blame the people who do breed to him.that being said i would venture to say 90 percent of the people that do breed to him or any other good dog even if they had the one great one will never realize it because makeing a great dog is nuthing but long hours and alot of frustrations and money.great dogs are not born great that i can promise you,and reggie being a turbo dog i would say his pups take more time on the ground to be right than most other dogs so that means its even more work.i guess this thought is totally off the topic but wanted to get it out there.also want to make it perfectly clear i dont know maybe every pup reggie throws is great i was just giving a scenario.
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

woods

Post by woods »

Honestly I just wonder how many guys actualy take the time to go and see these great studs run. Not saying that Reggie or any of the other studs are not great but word of mouth has a way of making them better than they ever were. From my experience you can't always go off trial records or someone elses description of how a dog runs. What I feel is great may not be to the next man. Go see them run, study the pedigrees , see if they compliment each other, make your breedings and run what you like. I have spent many a dollar chasing the latest flavor of the month only to find it wasnt what I thought it was. Again I am not saying Reggie or any of the other studs here are not the real deal. Just that one man's treasure is another man's trash. Proven to me is when I saw it with my own eyes.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

I'll go out on a limb and say Eyer's Geneo would produce more winners than Reggie if bred to the same females and produced the same amount of pups. I can't prove that and noone can prove me wrong. In the world of beagles field trials matter. Who would have bred to Reggie if he was not trialed? Percentages matter also, but in order to get accurate and reliable results, the variables have to be the same. My point is I could have told any of you how this post would end up 5 pages ago and all of it has no factual base. I have seen some "Reggie" dogs run and not one of them has the ability of FC Sausser's Jack in my opinion. I've seen much better dogs off of Prime Time than Reggie and all of it means absolutely nothing because of different variables. If I had more self control I wouldn't even bother responding to this post, but boredum and time allow me to make bad choices.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I don't know if I can call this dog the most proven stud dog, but a nice stud dog no doubt. Durbin Valley Hitman Hart. In the last year or two I have watched several males and females go off this stud and I am very impressed. Hard hitting correct mouth running machines.... Gitcha some...
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

Last edited by hard on a check on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

hard on a check -

I can't speak as to whether your numbers are correct or not. I just want to make one point - I don't believe you are comparing "apples to apples" ....and in the case of Shooter and Reggie, it may be impossible to compare them accurately.

Reggie is being used as a stud by a much broader range of beaglers than guys chasing FC titles. I don't know what the numbers are...no one does. But, I suspect the vast majority of the folks that are breeding to Reggie are running ARHA trials and are gun hunters / pleasure runners. Reggie has gained popularity and notarity not only amoung FC circles, but all the way down the gun hunters looking to add something to their kennels that have never been to a field trial.

I run in a few little pack trials and I can guarantee you that if you start listing FC and IFC stud dogs to the local guys just about the only one many of those folks have even heard about is Reggie. If you are saying Reggie has sired 150 litters it is possible that only a couple dozen of those litters are hard core AKC guys....again, I don't know what the numbers are, it would difficult to ever know.

I personally raised a litter out of Reggie and I have never entered a AKC trial....nor do I have any plans to.

The only way you can get the numbers you are looking for is to have a profile of each litter and each pup in that litter and how many pups did each stud sire that was given a serious chance in the AKC format and out of those pups how many of those pups made FC. What you are trying to do is not possible w/ the limited information you are working with.

-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

Most proven stud dog on the ground today??? Reggie by far- He's the Wilt Chamberlin of Beagles. If the numbers are true he has been bred to more bitches than most dogs will get a chance at 10 times over. He's a sure stud! No one in thier right mind would breed to a dog just cause he's the flavor of the month... He's has to prove something to folks for this many breedings!
Most proven stud that produced titles?? I'm thinking Shooter but I don't follow this to close anymore because you can never get the correct numbers... I do know for a fact out of the 11 dogs out of Shooter that were mentioned that are Field Champions, 8 of them have been used as hunting dogs and they are proven in that field as well. I have hunted over most of them. Most pups out of those liters went strictly to hunters or to someone that just enjoys running dogs... The dogs that made it to the trials are good dogs but I do think there were some even better ones that never made it to the trials or just the owners just decided that trials weren't for them. These titles are just guidelines anyways. Two trials a year at each club, about 20 trials a year a guy could hit if he was really serious enough about trials. Doesn't everyone have a Field Champion nowadays???? :lol: Go watch, breed to what you like!
Dave Martin- (906) 285-1740

Schag

Post by Schag »

I have been reading these pages and will throw my 2 cents worth in the mix. It all boils down to what a person will tolerate or what fault a hound might have that they can live with. Every hound has a fault, every stud will throw faults one way or another, but it boils down to what a person wants or can live with. I have seen many hounds run that had titles in front of them that I personally would not own. Does that mean the hound is junk, not particularly, just not what I am looking for. I have also seen hounds run that never saw a field trial that I have liked. Does that mean it is junk because it does not have a title, no. So, a stud's worth is only as good as the person who can or cannot live with what it might produce both good and bad.

In the end, most people want a dog to run a rabbit only and to satisfy their need in a hound. That is why we feed them; however, I may not want the dog you have, and you may not want the dog I have because of personal preference. That's what makes the world go around. If we all liked the same hound every trial might be a tie. :D Example: I may not like a dog to mouth around before the jump, you may not care.

Also, for what it is worth, the hounds that produce many champions in any format, you have to look at the judges to see what they like too. It boils down to who is putting titles on them as well. (I have also seen many hounds with titles that I did like.)

Run what you like, and be thankful that you still can.

Jason Schag

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Highley's Redman Lil Joe.........Beagleings best kept secret .
Big Mike

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

Last edited by hard on a check on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indianadeerman

Post by Indianadeerman »

I agree with Schag.Hunted with a real nice 2 year old.Hunt him solo looked like one of the very best ,made all the checkes and turns with great accuracy and speed,but put him with a loose running hound and he would make alot of mistakes ,just from the competition.Wish I had him at my kennel.Not from a well know stud,but from a very good rabbit hound.There are some very nice males that sire some very nice hounds that no one knows about ,because they are not trialed,but could hold their own with any of the well known studs.The only draw back if your selling pups out of these unknows people kind of look away when they are not sired by these well know sires,but the ones who have hunted with other pups that that sire has produced know exactly what they may be getting.