Jeep Dog Box

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bucks better beagles

Jeep Dog Box

Post by bucks better beagles »

I just got a jeep wrangler sport (one of the little ones). I took the back seat out and made me a dog box but it just isn't going to work. Can someone help me with knowledge of trailer hitch type of box carrier? Has anyone tried one. Does anyone know what I am talking about??

DIXIEDOG

Re: Jeep Dog Box

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I have no first hand knowledge of them but saw this one
http://www.ncducks.com/duxforum/viewtop ... =14&t=7714

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

I have a 4 door jeep wrangler...I orginally bought a hitch and haul from Harbor freight and was going to have a box made to bolt on to it but I dont think could live with myself if I got rear ended or if the CO2 killed the dogs. I ended up going with plastic crates (medium size) from TSC (cheaper at Gander mtn) and I couldnt be happier. I am able to fit two beagles comfortably in each box. You do have to use a bit more car freshener than normal but...it isnt a truck so you have to put up with it. The Owens ATV box would have fit perfect in the back but I didnt want to drop $450 on something that I could accomplish the same with for $80...plus the plastic crates are easier to clean and move in and out....just my .02 after having the same problem
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

bucks better beagles

Ohio, what you are thinking is the way I wanted to go. But my twins have taken up residence in the back seat so I will have to have some sort of box outside the jeep. I made a 33 by 33 box and put 4 dogs in it comfortable but it started to smell after the first day. I really need something big enough to house 5 or 6 dogs on very short trips of about 3 miles.

I hope someone has tried this hitch and frame thing so they can give me first had experience.

j.ooten

Post by j.ooten »

this was my rig, all stocked up for a MI trip..you should have seen the looks I got on the road :lol: I thought you all would enjoy the pic... but, I just had a half top and didnt use all three boxes around the house, I just had to deliver a couple dogs on the way up ..a guy down the road uses a hitch rack with a pet porter.. like ohiohntr, I was afraid something would go wrong, and the hills around here are pretty rough, I would have probably ripped it off.. and would have left the dogs somewhere without knowing it. :bigsmile: ..and because of the location, it would have drove me crazy wondering if the dogs were still attached to the Jeep.

If you get something figured out, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

bucks better beagles

Its a jeep thing and that one is cool. I am working on several angles right now and will try to let you know.