New dog shock collar training-HELP????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

garyd

New dog shock collar training-HELP????

Post by garyd »

I'm working with my first beagle and need help teaching her on a shock collar. This dog will be 1 year old next week. I worked with her on a rope and she seems to listen with vibrate better than on tone (Sportdog 3225), when I had her out running yesterday and was ready to go I hollered and hollered, but she would not come in. I dinged her a couple of times and heard her bark when I did this , so I know the collar works. I kept looking for her and found her sitting down in the weeds scared to death. I don't know what to do with her next , she was out with a younger dog at the time, so maybe this had something to do with it. I thought about trying a whistle with her. I could sure use some help on this. :(

Househounds

Re: New dog shock collar training-HELP????

Post by Househounds »

When I got my firsat SD training collar it came with a training manual. If you did not get one you can find them on line and print it out. I followed the entire process and it worked like a charm. It took me more then a few weeks, before I took my dog to the woods with it but it worked as advertised. My dog was almost like a robot. Since then I have got a second dog and I have not drilled them with it as much so they are not a sharp as they were at first but they handle great. I still drill them with the collars once in a while in the yard to sharpen them up. I know it may seem like a long drawn out process to collar break your dog but it is worth it. Do not get impatient and risk ruining your dog. When our dogs don't understanding what to do it is not the dogs fault. It is our fault for not making it clear what we want from them and not training them properly. In my opinion there is no fast easy answer to this. Go back to the first steps in the training manual and take your time with it.

Good Luck
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

lee broadley

Post by lee broadley »

Househounds wrote:When I got my firsat SD training collar it came with a training manual. If you did not get one you can find them on line and print it out. I followed the entire process and it worked like a charm. It took me more then a few weeks, before I took my dog to the woods with it but it worked as advertised. My dog was almost like a robot. Since then I have got a second dog and I have not drilled them with it as much so they are not a sharp as they were at first but they handle great. I still drill them with the collars once in a while in the yard to sharpen them up. I know it may seem like a long drawn out process to collar break your dog but it is worth it. Do not get impatient and risk ruining your dog. When our dogs don't understanding what to do it is not the dogs fault. It is our fault for not making it clear what we want from them and not training them properly. In my opinion there is no fast easy answer to this. Go back to the first steps in the training manual and take your time with it.

Good Luck
EXCELENT ADVICE especialy the part where you said that they dont know what we want them to do. dogs are generaly eager to please if we let them know what pleases us.

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

ive had a few dogs freeze up with the e collar some even run from it going away from u,if she is freezin up on u when u shock her,then don't stop shocking her if she needs to be shocked.u will just have to keep going and finding her,she will finally notice that when she see's u the shockin quits;then u can shock her in to u,what ever u do don't be scared to shock her because she will never figure it out if u don't work on her with the collar...
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

go back to using a long rope and pull her into you when you call. keep treats in your pocket. do this till she comes when u call without the rope . Then progress up to the shock collar again. Start with call, tone, pull her in. reward greatly. really go nuts on her with praise. My dog would run away when I first shocked her too, I had to back up on shock collar training too. Do Not increase the shock stimulation thinking that will work , It will not. Your dog might just cut and run.
April D
Grantville, PA

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

AprilD wrote:go back to using a long rope and pull her into you when you call. keep treats in your pocket. do this till she comes when u call without the rope . Then progress up to the shock collar again. Start with call, tone, pull her in. reward greatly. really go nuts on her with praise. My dog would run away when I first shocked her too, I had to back up on shock collar training too. Do Not increase the shock stimulation thinking that will work , It will not. Your dog might just cut and run.
Excellent advice!!! Better to take your time and do it right than ruin a perfectly good hound. :nod:

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

]
AprilD wrote:go back to using a long rope and pull her into you when you call. keep treats in your pocket. do this till she comes when u call without the rope . Then progress up to the shock collar again. Start with call, tone, pull her in. reward greatly. really go nuts on her with praise. My dog would run away when I first shocked her too, I had to back up on shock collar training too. Do Not increase the shock stimulation thinking that will work , It will not. Your dog might just cut and run.
[/quote]

:check: Sounds like good advise to me too! I got my tt trashbreaker used so it never had a manual with it, so I had to wing it. With just the smallest bit of shock my dog learned to come within a few tries, whereas it seems my eight month old pup is more stubborn. She will most of the time come in on the tone and small shock and then some of the time shell just be stubborn and lay down in the grass no matter the tone, the shock, or my voice. I use my voice first,tone second and if they flat out ignore me I give a shock I don't like doing it but beagles are very stubborn and that stubborness can lead them into trouble!

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

April D knows what she is talking about. Less is more.

Dave

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

If you have acess to a large fenced in yard start with 40' rope use lowest level that will get your dogs attentionbump him and pull him to you then give him a treat repeat till he comes without the tug on rope. then turn him loose in yard let him run afew minutes then bump him on the same level and call him if he just sits down repeat gently coaxing him back to youusualy just takes a little patiencebut I have seen some dogs that just could not handle a shock collar at all.

DJC

Post by DJC »

AprilD has it down this method has always worked for me. Usually 5-10 days 15 min. sessions and your be set, by the last few sessions my dogs think the TT is a hotdog machine, they get a little shock come running and magically a piece of hotdog appears as a treat.