Will We Ever See A Big Dog Class???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jumpNrun

Will We Ever See A Big Dog Class???

Post by jumpNrun »

i hope one day all of us who have raised pups or bought pups that have went over in size after we put in our hard work and money to these dogs will see a big beagle class if you build it they will come so lets see some suport for this and get the big dogs in where they fit ! they are still beagles! a dog that goes 15 1/8 still should be able to run in my opinion.
LpGrch Lpbch Smith's Blue Goose 1st 2012 Il state hunt-1st 2013 Indiana state hunt-2nd 2013 Grand Nationals- Best of show In State
Lprch Hbch Smith's Blue Moon
Lprch Smith's Rolling Sweet Lucy (RIP)

Tsa la gi

Re: Will We Ever See A Big Dog Class???

Post by Tsa la gi »

I agree, how much over 15 1/8 u talkin? I think the only thing to do is start a trial that wouldn`t let any thing under 15 in.
If they didn`t want to run they could keep their dogs home. :argue:

jumpNrun

Post by jumpNrun »

well just anything over 15. ive noticed recently mabey its just around here or just arha little pack that people are doin everything they can to measure dogs which rules are rules i understand that but u go breed your 13 in or smaller bitch to a 15 in hound and you still get a couple that are over 15 they should have a home not be tossed out and worthless to anyone but a gun hunter. i agree just somethin to give the dogs a chance to show some skills like a 15 and over class like you said any dog under 15in shouldent be allowed in it like i said just cause the beagle went over 15in its still a beagle and i think the big dogs would put on a show when ran against eachother! and alot of fun to run em. i dont even have a dog thats over yet but i have a 10 mo old male that is right at 15 now he may or may not go over such a fine line and i love this dog may be the best one outta the whole litter but may go 15 1/8 then ohhh not worth anything in trials thats bs if ya ask me. and by the way i dont judge any dog off 1 hour of running or less hyped up dogs with no brains and alot of mouth can screw up a solid hour of runnin but 2 hours or 3 into the run the real dogs will show so a dogs self worth isnt in a feild trial its in the owner and time the owner puts in. but its always nice to gauge your dog in a trial against others.
LpGrch Lpbch Smith's Blue Goose 1st 2012 Il state hunt-1st 2013 Indiana state hunt-2nd 2013 Grand Nationals- Best of show In State
Lprch Hbch Smith's Blue Moon
Lprch Smith's Rolling Sweet Lucy (RIP)

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Jump,
These hounds are worth just as much as a dog that has a BIG title. Like I said an hour here and an hour there , YA YA YA.
I`ll keep and raise what I want and they can keep the hour dogs.

Come run
I`m mid wifein a litter of those Maybe Gonna be over pups right now ,they`ll be posted on my site in a week or so. Gus and Copper.

Two Big

Post by Two Big »

I agree 100% on Big Dogs having a class to run in. I have three oversize dogs and run with a Little Pack guy with dogs under 15". The only time my dogs can outrun his dogs is in the deep snow. I just don't think the size of a Beagle makes a difference--it's the size of the heart in the Beagle. AKC doesn't mind registering an oversize Beagle.

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction. If there ever is a class for oversize hounds it will become wildly popular. Every sport that has classes from least to greatest draws the most attention to the biggest class. Oversize hounds would make for some hugely exciting running. I think it will meet with a lot of opposition from purists and old-schoolers but younger beaglers would make this very popular. I gave away a 16" hound earlier this year for no other reason. He was drop dead gorgeous otherwise. I'd love to see a class for the hounds if for no other reason than it would keep a whole class of hounds from meeting with a sad end. I agree with the prior post, if AKC will register them, and they are beagles, then RUN 'EM!
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

I'll take all the oversized ya'll want to get rid of. Don't care if they are as big as a Walker Hound.
In hunting every dog has an environment that is in their favor and can show all others up in that environment.
Watch a little dog show off in thick briar 10 acre patch while big dogs are jumping over the thick stuff following the little dog running the rabbit on the small trails under the briars.
Watch the big dog stretch out running in the open swamps.
I'll give a great home to any big dogs you want to do them a favor and let them be appreciated and just not trial.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

No-Not until someone can get them to change the breed standard. But I'm just asking, no dogs in this fight (yet) and and I dont really care how tall a dog is, But in the other posts the point was made that 1/4 or a half inch hound dont really have a advantage. So why would a class with tall dogs be any more exciting than a class of good running 15" class?

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

I do not trial so I do not have to worry about dog size etc. But if you breed a 13" female to a 14" male and a puppy grows to 15 1/5" i guess by the rules you are done. All my hounds are under fifteen inches but one, he was a solo puppy so I named him solo. He must have been nursing several teets at a time because when he was six weeks old he was the biggest, fat puppy I have ever seen. I called my hunting partner and told him you got to come see this pup. He came by the house the next day and when he saw solo he said darn thats a megaladawn beagle, at six weeks I call him a duel propose beagle, being a male and being so fat he could plow dirt ( cause his pee-pee drug the ground) and could follow scent at the same time. Well solo never stopped growing untill about a year and a half old. So he became know as solo monster. Every time I hunt with someone new they go DARN what you feeding that hound. He is super smart and has the personality of three beagles and is about as hard headed as they come but he is loving and he hates a rabbit with a passion. I have thought about getting rid of him several times but realized if i did I would not have one to keep me on my toes. He is a whopper, I took a picture of him and the picture wieght 9LBS.

TC

Post by TC »

bluemouse wrote:II named him solo. I took a picture of him and the picture wieght 9LBS.
Now Thats a HOUND right there LOL
I Agree i got two here that are Over 15" and Flat out NICE hounds When i take ol Big Boy huntin you Know he is there Just watch fer the trees Shakin and you know where he is Hunting and When he opens LOOK OUT lol the other takes an acre to pick up speed and uses the fence line to Slow Down ;)
I Would enter a Big Dog Class just to watch em Go... BUT i dont have to have a trial to Enjoy them!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

bluemouse wrote:So he became know as solo monster. Every time I hunt with someone new they go DARN what you feeding that hound.
I have seen Monster, and he is every bit of what his name says he is!!! He looks like a short rottweiler in beagles clothing.
When people say 15 inch, I always think tall (height). Monster is almost as wide as he is tall. The only other name that could describe him is, "Triplet." There has to be 3 beagles inside of Monster.

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Hows it going Beaglerun, Monster really turn on at the end of the season being his second year in the woods, he is still a clown, I put him on the jenny craig diet but he started eating solid stuff, chairs, tables, and small trees.

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

why not we have a champion class a grand chahpion class a13 inch class a15inch class one more class over size hounds i Say yes why not. you do not have to change the bred standard. ha del morgan it would be a great business decision. just saying it then would shut the very few cry babies up who still would not win HAHAHA lol

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

There allready is a big dog class in NKC its called Big Pack. They run 16 inch dogs