Who would you use????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Schag

Who would you use????

Post by Schag »

I may or may not do this, but I am thinking about breeding Zena one more time with my fingers crossed. I have had some success with a couple of males, but I want to know what some of your opinions are. I have my own opinions, but I am not above learning if someone has suggestions. Who would you breed her to and why???

Zena's strong points: Clean with mouth (Very clean), good jump dog (has ability to find game), straight (tattle tale), middle of pack foot with turn ability, brains (could be a house dog), good squall mouth, good enough nose, good check hound (close and clean back to point of loss)

Weaknesses: Could use more gamble (flash), could use more nose, seems to produce a better female than male, some of her offspring cannot handle the hot temperatures again I have noticed this more in the males than females.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Schag

Pedigree:

------------------------------------------FTCH Branko’s Jack of All Trades
----------------------------------FC Branko’s Hard Rock
------------------------------------------Branko’s Freckled Sheila
---------------------------McDaniel’s Cherokee Zena
------------------------------------------IFC Branko’s Heli-Prop
-----------------------------------Branko's Indian Mound Suzy
------------------------------------------Branko’s True Blue (Ali-Baba)

sanfordssj

Re: Who would you use????

Post by sanfordssj »

sounds like you want consistancy. One of the best i have seen is FC HBCH PCH CH Pound The Ground Willie Moe. Moe can run in any format and look good doing it. Im planning on breeding my own female to him here soon.

Reggie, Junie and Logan Elm Neal would be at the top of my list as well.

If you want to step outside the box and look at something different make sure you check out Hurry Up Bozo!!!!!!!

Good luck.....dont think you can go wrong with Zena. You can breed her to anything :D
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

Greg Wells

Post by Greg Wells »

FC Pound The Ground Chance (FC Brent's Prime Time x FC Smith's Bonny Lou); he would compliment Zena very well. He is clean & smooth & has a strong nose with the brains to know how to control it. Loud, clear squall - chop mouth like Prime Time & Moon Pie. He won in 80 degree weather, beating FC Main Events Showtime the year that Showtime won Better Beagling's 15" Male High Hound Award & the AKC Large Pack Nationals. You would also be adding more FTC Jack Of All Trades & IFC Branko's Heli-Prop blood & both Prime Time & Bonny Lou have won the Top Mid-West Producer awards multiple times. Chance had plenty of "flash" ; winning 6 AKC licensed Mid-West field trials against some of the best 15" males that have ran in the Mid-West. He also won the Mid-West Championship with the exceptional FC Saussers Jack placing 2nd under well respected judges. I would love to have a 15" female from this cross if any become available. Good luck with whatever you decide to breed her to. Zena really impressed me the time or two that I saw her run.
Wells Woods Beagles

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time

Breeder of:
FC Wells' Silver Spring
IFC Stoneyhills Gator
FC GD Wells Woods Valentine
FC GMC's Primetime Peeka-Boo

Charles Philpot

Post by Charles Philpot »

IFC Greenwells Reggie or Noe Him By Ohio Reggie
Last edited by Charles Philpot on Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Terrain Beagles

TrlBustinBeagle

Post by TrlBustinBeagle »

Jason send her down here to Cincinnati and breed to my old male. Wont get much more Heli Prop and Jack plus you would double up on Hard Rock who is the most outlooked Jack bred male out there as far as producing goes.
Trail Bustin Beagles
Winners Train While Losers Complain

RIP:
Nr FC Juls Trail Bustin Hollie
Fld Wnr. JJ's Magnificent Maggie
Home of:
Trail Bustins Josie Wales
Trail Bustin's Magnificent Maxie

Schag

Post by Schag »

Thanks guys for the replies and compliments. Zena is by no means perfect. I have seen more good than bad out of her by far, but she has produced a few duds like they all do. I have kept quite a few out of her, but only one has pleased me enough to have a permanent home (Dolly). That is not saying that the ones I parted with were culls because they were not, just not quite what I was looking for, for whatever reason. I do know most of Zena's offspring produce. One of my favorites out of Zena that I have seen was a hound called McDaniel's Cherokee Faith. She was just like Zena, but bigger and has produced. Dolly, my hound out of Zena is proving to be a good producer as well. Dolly herself has that flash that can catch the eye, but control to shift gears when need be as well. I have a male here out of her that I am liking.

Keep the suggestions coming, I am by no means an expert. Just a guy that enjoys hounds and trying to improve. Also, some of the hounds listed in the posting are not out of question. Thank-you for the suggestions.

old blood beagles

Post by old blood beagles »

I would match her up with FC Branko's Cheif Bearheart. That would be one hell of a cross and if you do that I will take a male and female at 250.00 each............................................ :nod:

http://www.beaglepedigree.com/Pro/pp_li ... ree&gens=4
Bowling's Old Blood Beagles
BOBB's Line of Hounds
Selective breeding of Old Branko "NINJA"/Ranger Dan = BOBB's Line

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Id like to see her bred to a nice son of Iron Eagle, sounds like the same style of dog as my Reject dog with a little less nose, but a cleaner mouth. Ole Howards Bandit is throwing some nice ones he might would be a good choice.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

da ridgetop

Post by da ridgetop »

i second howards bandit talk about a stacked jack pedigree
Donald
Take a ride on the SHORTBUS

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

"MARAVICS BLUES CLUES" (IFC MJR MITSOU ARGENTEUIL STRIKER X FC MARAVICS BLUE MOON) Moon is directly out of IFC MARAVICS BLUE NINJA. PEDIGREE SUPREME!

old blood beagles

Post by old blood beagles »

You might also consider IFC Beaver Creeks Blue Max..............Blue Ninja and Ali-baba
Bowling's Old Blood Beagles
BOBB's Line of Hounds
Selective breeding of Old Branko "NINJA"/Ranger Dan = BOBB's Line

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I owned a littermate to Mountain Ash Dino - Mountain Music Nitro that had a Big Nose. If Dino has that kind of Nose I'd use him. I've seen Nitro work some bad tracks out walking but when the senting was good he could flat fly on track and make turns with out overrunning and looking stupid. What I hear of Dino hes much the same. Nitro is dead now what a shame. He was a great snow hound.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

kjohn2hunt

Post by kjohn2hunt »

breed her dirt road zipper and double up the hard rock. and i want pick of litter :lol:
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

PABeagler

Post by PABeagler »

I would use a dog with Ninja upclose. That being said, I would use Reggie or Blues Clues, and Bad Moon Rising is another option.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

White River Coal Miner, will add nose (watched him run on snow and was impressed, also a pup out of him on snow ran that day and was NICE), tremendous confirmation, deadly accurate mouth, speed with a little reach in check. Complete out cross with Ranger Dan so it is a shot, but Coal is worth the shot "outside". Pretty safe to say most hounds won't out hunt him(JUMP DOG)!! Got a litter coming off of him in 4 wks :D