Birchlake beagles

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

littlewoody

Birchlake beagles

Post by littlewoody »

Anyone have any video of Birchlake beagles in action? I think a birchlake beagle would go good with my paycheck pup he's fast.
TheJohnBirchSociety

Cooz's Beagles

Re: Birchlake beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

littlewoody wrote:Anyone have any video of Birchlake beagles in action? I think a birchlake beagle would go good with my paycheck pup he's fast.
I googled 'birch lake beagles' because I have never heard of the line before, and found a website of a kennel in Michigan, they use birch lake dogs on pretty much just hare. I dont know if you knew of this kennel already, but what might be better than a video would be to contact this owner of this kennel and plan a visit to watch some of his hounds run to see if that's what you want. hope this helps.
http://mapleroadbeagles.com/

By the way if you go to available pups and dogs on mapleroad beagles website they have three male pups still available that will be ready to go in July. :D

Cooz's Beagles
Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around

rabbithunter5890

Post by rabbithunter5890 »

I have a dog ( smiths ricky bobby) that is as birchlake as they come, and I would take 1000 more like him.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

The Birch Lake kennel is owned by Ken Racine in Ishpeming MI. He competes with 13" hounds in the Northern Michigan Hare association. You can see several of his hounds @ www.northernmihare.com If interested in getting a Birch Lake hound I would give him a call. I'm pretty sure he breeds a couple litters a year and may even have running dogs for sale. His contact information can be found on the web site under the judges directory.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Thanks everyone! :D
TheJohnBirchSociety

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

I run with kenny all the time, and could answer some questions about his kennel.
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

old school

Post by old school »

South Woods, could you tell us a little about the style of the Birch Lake hounds? Expecially the males that Mr. Racine has been running in the NMHA. Thanks in advance.

South Woods kennel

Heres the best thing i can tell you to do, call kenny and ask him about his dogs, i might run with him allot but he knows his dogs more than i do.
Home of:

FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

my dogs go back to birchlake drummer. hard hunting jump dogs and fast
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

South Woods kennel

Yes drummer was a heck of a nice dog, Anything with FC Birch Lake Pal in it seems to be producing some very nice dogs.
Home of:

FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

MGD

Post by MGD »

Does anyone. have a number for birch lake kennels?

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

mybeagles wrote:
Sun May 29, 2011 1:01 am
The Birch Lake kennel is owned by Ken Racine in Ishpeming MI. He competes with 13" hounds in the Northern Michigan Hare association. You can see several of his hounds @ www.northernmihare.com If interested in getting a Birch Lake hound I would give him a call. I'm pretty sure he breeds a couple litters a year and may even have running dogs for sale. His contact information can be found on the web site under the judges directory.

Mybeagles
Ken's phone number is under the judges directory as well.

Schag

Post by Schag »

I have owned and witnessed quite a few hounds off of FC Birchlake Drummer back in the day. They were not birchlake top and bottom...most of them were branko bred on the bottom but most of them seemed to run very similar. One of my all time favorite hounds was Permar's Drummer Boy off of Drummer. His brother was a good one as well, Permar's Smokin' Joe.

They all seemed to hunt fairly well. I have seen better, but also worse. They were good footed hounds with plenty of all day grit. They handled hot weather well. Most seemed to have above average noses. Most seemed to have good loud mouths. Drummer boy had still one of my favorites of all time in 32 years of owning hounds. They seemed to be honest with their mouths. I never really saw one that was too "mouthy" especially by today's standards!

The only thing that I saw would be lack of stick in the check on the tough checks. They would drift and swing in the check area if they didn't get it right away. They are hare bred mostly though...

Overall, I liked the hounds that I saw. This in no way tells the whole story of "Birchlake" hounds, just my experiences with some I saw. A true "Birchlake" hound would have to come from Mr. Ken Racine. I have been thinking about adding some back in my kennel as well. Good luck. :check: