Known Bloodlines

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ridge View

Known Bloodlines

Post by Ridge View »

I was curious about known bloodlines that carry the immune deficiency gene in which causes Demodectic Mange also known as "Red Mange"

If you think anyone will be offended but are aware of specific known bloodline please pm me

Thanks in advance!

rabbitsmoker

Re: Known Bloodlines

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I dont think this one is in a certain bloodline its the dog in general The red mange can show up in any dog no matter the line it comes from

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

Some of the blue smoky colored beagles i have heard has this problem. I owned one and it was hard to keep a thick coat of hair on her.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

I do believe that one bloodline over another does not have a greater degree of immunity to this problem. As Rabbitsmoker stated, it is a common thing in all bloodlines unless Sarcoptic Mites are detected early and treated. Control and treatment is pretty simple and painless. Ivermectin (1% in streile solution) at a rate of 2 tenths of 1 ml per day for a couple of weeks will usually kill the mites and break the reproduction cycle. Be careful not to overdose. My preferred method of treatment is to place the Ivermectin on a piece of bread and then feed the bread to the dog.

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

Ridge View wrote:I was curious about known bloodlines that carry the immune deficiency gene in which causes Demodectic Mange also known as "Red Mange"

If you think anyone will be offended but are aware of specific known bloodline please pm me

Thanks in advance!
I believe you’re asking if certain line of dogs pass “mange” off to their pups? They don’t. But there are bloodlines that pass weak immune systems, but I doubt you will get anybody to “fess-up”.

Genetic factors with the immune system predisposes a dog to developing mange. Almost all dogs at one time or another are attacked by “mange”, of all types, but most generally have an immune system that fights it off. Most Vets will advise that dogs with generalized chronic mange not be bred, as the condition will be passed to offspring. Not the “mange”, but the “weak immune system" that is unable to fight off the mange, along with other things.

The particular bloodlines that are prone to get “mange” at a high average, consider it a “red flag”, indicators that they have weak immune systems, which you do not want to pass on. Also in litters from these same lines, you will loose a pup or two with every litter and as they grow up you will notice that they are slow to heal and easy to get sick in any way and always look wormy, as they often are. Weak immune systems can hurt you in many ways... not sure why its not talked about more often.

Ridge View

Post by Ridge View »

Dr. Chris,

I was asking about the gene deficiency effecting the immune system. Thanks for your explanation. I'm fully aware of the reasons and causes.

To the rest of people who replied thanks and:

Guys I have researched enough to know what it is and how the "red mange occurs. Yes all dogs have mites and when they get out of balance mange does occur however it is most often sarcoptic mange. Again, red mange occurs do to a weak immune system in the dog which "is genetic and can and will be passed down to offspring so do not breed these hounds" Ivomec will help control symptoms and keep them in check however the red mange will always be present and as soon as the ivomec is stopped the symptoms will eventually occur. There is no "cure" so to speak.

Just wondering if it anyone knew specifically a bloodline it had occured often in and are they still being bred?