To young to breed ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RunninHard

To young to breed ?

Post by RunninHard »

I have a 1 year old as of June 28,2011 (last month) She is in heat (just started to bleed, first heat cycle) Should I wait ?
I bred her mother at a young age of 14-15 months old and she did great

rabbitsmoker

Re: To young to breed ?

Post by rabbitsmoker »

If i wanted to try a litter i dont see a problem i have tryed several litters out of young females and never had a issue my dad said if mother nature takes her course they are capable of doing fine if not they wouldnt have came into season lets you knw early in the game what pups are going to be I raised a litter out of a 9 month old female once she is 4 now still throwing 7-9 pups each litter

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

how long has she been running
do you know her fualts
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

bwe007

Post by bwe007 »

foxy's got it right. she hasn't matured enough to know what kind of a dog she is yet. jmo.
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

bwe007 wrote:foxy's got it right. she hasn't matured enough to know what kind of a dog she is yet. jmo.
+1 I would until she is 2.
TheJohnBirchSociety

APFII

Post by APFII »

Out in the wild they get bred first heat.I like to see them bred at 2 yr old. It is a lot of stress on a yr old gyp. I think it takes a toll on them. Just the way I see it.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Yeh talking about how good she will get thats a good idea waitin till she is older but for just chancing a litter and her doing well with raising a litter she will do fine was what i was saying I think his ? was would she do ok at a young age having a litter I like taking a gamble i have had my best success for some reason out of good young females for some reason the pups at 3 yr was better than ther parents

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

RunninHard wrote:I have a 1 year old as of June 28,2011 (last month) She is in heat (just started to bleed, first heat cycle) Should I wait ?
I bred her mother at a young age of 14-15 months old and she did great
If she is out of strange crosses that you don’t know anything about and you know nothing about the traits that may be passed, that is one thing, but if she is out of a proven cross and you know the genetics behind both sides and you have run her enough to know she is portraying the same traits as expected… I would go ahead and breed her.

Physically?...... I would follow what the old school breeder’s philosophy. It is always good to breed to a female on her first or second heat {as long as her 1st heat comes at around a year old}. The young females pelvic bones are still flexible, having pups at an early age helps them later in life to have pups easier. Many times waiting until a female is 3 or 4 to breed her, she has a hard time because the pelvic is set and solidified, without much flexibility.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Thanks to all that posted,

She has been running for 6 months and can run a good rabbit on her own, I would like to have 3 more just like her ... :check:

lee broadley

Post by lee broadley »

RunninHard wrote:Thanks to all that posted,

She has been running for 6 months and can run a good rabbit on her own, I would like to have 3 more just like her ... :check:
that says alot. either get a full sister diffrent litter or breed back into the line she came out of top or bottom wich ever you like better.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

Her Dam is here with me, her sire I had 2 put down 2 weeks ago so that cross cant happen..... :(
They are all grade dogs as well, I dont know nothing about their blood
I am going to wait to find a good Red stud for her in the near future and breed her next heat cycle and find a stud for her Dam as well
Thanks to all, Scott

goodpickens

Post by goodpickens »

Dr. Chris wrote: Physically?...... I would follow what the old school breeder’s philosophy. It is always good to breed to a female on her first or second heat {as long as her 1st heat comes at around a year old}. The young females pelvic bones are still flexible, having pups at an early age helps them later in life to have pups easier. Many times waiting until a female is 3 or 4 to breed her, she has a hard time because the pelvic is set and solidified, without much flexibility.
Never heard that before, but it makes sense.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

goodpickens wrote:
Dr. Chris wrote: Physically?...... I would follow what the old school breeder’s philosophy. It is always good to breed to a female on her first or second heat {as long as her 1st heat comes at around a year old}. The young females pelvic bones are still flexible, having pups at an early age helps them later in life to have pups easier. Many times waiting until a female is 3 or 4 to breed her, she has a hard time because the pelvic is set and solidified, without much flexibility.
Never heard that before, but it makes sense.

Made sense to me as well

Jwagner

Post by Jwagner »

RunninHard wrote: I am going to wait to find a good Red stud for her in the near future and breed her next heat cycle and find a stud for her Dam as well
That in my opinion is the smartest view, mainly because right now isn't the time to pick a stud in my opinion. Unless u got one picked out from the previous winter that you saw run a lot. wait until Jan. or Feb. in Michigan when it gets tough running weather. because right now snoopy should look good running a rabbit. I learned the hard way, one of my males died, (my out cross) last summer and I rushed out and bought a pup, and this last winter it lacked the nose to run in the cold. the only thing I had going for me was like you a couple of young dogs, I breed and my old male. if I learned anything from this was don't make rushed decision about your rabbit dogs after you lose one. at least in my situation I'm better off without this dog because she struggles under 20 degrees. now I have to find a home for a dog that can run a rabbit just not in the michigan winters. anyway I will get off my soap box. PM me if you ever want to run dogs, speed wise I think they would match up nice from your video's. me and my buddy run quite a bit. we live in ypsilanti not sure how far that is from you.