Hunt Cottontail or Snoeshoe Hare?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

HAREHOUND

Re: Hunt Cottontail or Snoeshoe Hare?

Post by HAREHOUND »

i think that they are both a blast but i will have to go with the hare. big runs as long as the dogs will stay on them. i am lucky to have both within a 5 minute walk of the ole computer here. well looky there, a cottontail sitting in the back yard. gotta go!
Last edited by HAREHOUND on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

Hare is the way to go espesially in the winter with deep powder when you can barely see the dogs in the snow, now thats running dogs. Ive ran a few times when all i could see is the dogs ears flapping in the snow, and man was it nice to watch.
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

jimd

Post by jimd »

I would choose hare to run nothing better than those long races.For eating I would not pick the hare. cottontail or swampers are best to eat.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

My dogs are weak in the nose dept, and don't have enough brains not to outrun what nose they have, That makes me a Hare hunter.

Bellmorekennels

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Seem like hare is by far the favorite, I have to agree, while both are fun to hunt, hare hunting is something I really wish could do more of, but 4 hours each way limits my outings..
Joey, hope you get to go this year, if does not pan out with your current plans, and you want to try Maine, let me know

Anthony

paducahky1

Post by paducahky1 »

Joeyman wrote:I run cottontail rabbits. thats all we have around here. I got the chance to hunt swamp rabbits feburary 2011. I'd pick swampers over cottontails any day of the week.

Never had the chance to run hare yet. Hopefully I'll get to run them Spring 2012 up in WI
no hare here in texas, but plenty of swampers ! we run swampers every weekend , the dogs will run cotton tails but nothing like running a big swamper !
never met a horse that couldnt be rode or a man that couldnt be throwd

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

Snowshoe Hare all the way. Long flat out chases with the dogs just stretched out when they come by is my kind of running. Plus the white ghost is a blast to hunt in the middle of winter.

JCM

Post by JCM »

I just spent the last four days running hare at least 12 hours a day. All I can say is give me more. Nothing beats a great hare chase.

Rainman

Post by Rainman »

I love both! But listening to the dogs running hare is like listening to a supercharged hot rod go down the track! It so much more exciting and faster than a cottontail race. As far as eating cottontail is better tasting but I eat more hare. But I drive 2 1/2 hours north every weekend during winter to chase the hare.
Darryl

Running hounds and listening to the orginal country music!

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

hare, then Swampers, then Cottontails.
Bad part is I can only run Cottontail at home.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

cheatmountainman

Post by cheatmountainman »

Hare for me!! I am lucky to have both just a few minutes away but love to go where the hare are more plentiful. I made 3 trips to the North country this year (15 hours one way) January, February, and March. I loved the March running the best!! :D

10ACbeagles

Post by 10ACbeagles »

Cottontails/swampers
God made dogs....Then he made BEAGLES!

BunnyBuster12

Post by BunnyBuster12 »

I have not run hare but have heard it is a blast. From what I understand it is like running the deer version of a bunny. I know that swampers were not an option but they are great fun to run and also test the skills of your dog. Of the two options I have to say cotton tail because that is all I have run.