Hunt Cottontail or Snoeshoe Hare?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bellmorekennels

Hunt Cottontail or Snoeshoe Hare?

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Hey guys just wondering what do you prefer to Hunt hare or cottontail ? and why?
I prefer snowshoe, but have to drive 4hrs one way to hunt them, I live on Long Island,NY and train the dogs on cottontail and hunt them from nov thru feb. Snowshoe hare hunting to me is like cottontail hunting on steroids, everything seems like a bigger scale, and the runs can go 1/2 mile each way often, and the season is Oct thru march!!
On the other hand I like to hunt cottontail because it keeps the dogs honest and makes them run a tight line, but man there is nothing like watching a white hare running full speed on bare ground, I think every rabbit hunter needs to see that at least once!!!
www.bellmorekennels.com

BradWV

Re: Hunt Cottontail or Snoeshoe Hare?

Post by BradWV »

Hare!! Hands down!!

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Hare-best running around.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

cegibbs

Post by cegibbs »

junk piles, holes,100 yard dashes cottontails are rats...HARE EVERY WEEKEND IN WINTER THAT's HUNTING!
Last edited by cegibbs on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newt

Post by Newt »

cegibbs wrote:junk piles, holes,100 yard dashes cottontails are rats...HARE EVERY WEEKEND IN WINTER THAT's HUNTING!

"junk piles, holes,100 yard dashes cottontails are rats." Sounds like the start of a list of excuses for bad dogs. ;)

I too prefer running hare but unfortunately I would have to drive a day just to turn loose in hare country.

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

I hunt cottontail, I want to try hare
I love hunting/running cottontail, the way they twist,turn,double back ect... is fun to watch the dogs work them out and bring them back to the gun, to me thats what it is all about

T LEE

Post by T LEE »

RunninHard wrote:I hunt cottontail, I want to try hare
I love hunting/running cottontail, the way they twist,turn,double back ect... is fun to watch the dogs work them out and bring them back to the gun, to me thats what it is all about
RunninHard , What part of Michigan do you live??

We come up to the U.P every October( 1100 mile trip one way) . You should try running Hare and you will love it. If I lived as close as you to Hare .....I'de be running them like I was hooked on Crack. :D

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

I love pounding hare. The bad part is I only get to do it once a year for a very quick week, it seems. After growing up running fox, bear and coon, I like the "balls to wall" type of running. I also think my hounds are more suited for hare verses cottontail.
Maybe one of these days I'll retire and move up there. NAH, I forgot they don't have sweet tea up there! :shock: :approve:

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I run cottontail rabbits. thats all we have around here. I got the chance to hunt swamp rabbits feburary 2011. I'd pick swampers over cottontails any day of the week.

Never had the chance to run hare yet. Hopefully I'll get to run them Spring 2012 up in WI
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

barryc

Post by barryc »

Bellmorekennels wrote:Hey guys just wondering what do you prefer to Hunt hare or cottontail ? and why?
I prefer snowshoe, but have to drive 4hrs one way to hunt them, I live on Long Island,NY and train the dogs on cottontail and hunt them from nov thru feb. Snowshoe hare hunting to me is like cottontail hunting on steroids, everything seems like a bigger scale, and the runs can go 1/2 mile each way often, and the season is Oct thru march!!
On the other hand I like to hunt cottontail because it keeps the dogs honest and makes them run a tight line, but man there is nothing like watching a white hare running full speed on bare ground, I think every rabbit hunter needs to see that at least once!!!
http://www.bellmorekennels.com

I prefer to hunt swampers in MS then would come hunting cottontails in IN so I don't have to kill any of my rabbits then when all I want to do is run my dogs I prefer the great snowshoe hare in my home state of MI! The reason is swampers and cottontail taste great on the dinner table but snowshoe's are like trying to eat a piece of leather.

hack52

Post by hack52 »

no question about it hare
if i could iwould only hunt hare

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

T LEE wrote:
RunninHard wrote:I hunt cottontail, I want to try hare
RunninHard , What part of Michigan do you live??

We come up to the U.P every October( 1100 mile trip one way) . You should try running Hare and you will love it. If I lived as close as you to Hare .....I'de be running them like I was hooked on Crack. :D

I live near Port Huron we do have some hare in the swamps in the north (1 hr drive), just not enough to go and look for them, They were planted there from the DNR

Tundra Beagle

Post by Tundra Beagle »

Hare all the way, that hiding in a hole stuff is for the birds. Deep snow and a cold nose. :D
Joys in life brought to you by Family, Friends and Visa.

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

what taste better cottontail or hare
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

I prefer running snowshoe by far. They don't hole, great big long runs, and seem to leave more scent than a cottontail. There is nothing like a 3-4 hour run that sounds like a sight chase :cool: I prefer to eat cottontail but both are good for stew or spaghetti sauce
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell