Disappointed with quality of dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: Disappointed with quality of dogs

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

augerhead wrote:Thanks TLEE, I,m Looking for a good young dog, 6mth to maybe 12mths or so, not looking for a made dog. What I want is a young big hound thats 15" or better or going to make that. It must show Hard hunt, speed, good loud mouth and have very competetive nature. I don't expect a pup to be a rabbit dog, but you can still see these qualities at a young age. I don't care what color, sex,trash problems,handling issues,and if their a little rough. Doesn't seem like alot to me to ask for. Oh buy the way also can't tolerate bad social issues growling,barking all night,yanking, or messing in the dog box.
No dis-respect taken but by reading this fellas NEEDS . I believe i possibly have a young hound that has come from my best 2 dogs that should suit the bill. Will he win the world hunt? All i can tell u is his dad did . Sorta like saying my 6 year old daughter will be a super model someday. She has the tools but will probaly be president of the usa instead. Just trying to help a brother out. as far as handling he aint a deer runner but loves to keep a going when called.Thats the only fault i see at this time.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

Thanks M.V.K. but I think I'm going to pass, but if you don't mind why would a dog thats so hard headed that is starting to show the tools it takes that hunts good for a youngster be priced at 1200 dollars ? Must be a real good mouth.

Not sure what you mean, but if you can find a male bred better than mine meaning uncle to niece out of 2 field champions with outstanding pedigrees. Hard headed is quite curable with a little time being a blooming f------ idiot is not.Not sure exactly what your looking for , hmmmmm thought i had it. darn i was tasting that steak already. 1200.00 is a working mans price for what i got. Thats ok though rabbit seasons coming . Remember his name Mapel Valley Remember Big Money.

Lop sided beagler

Post by Lop sided beagler »

MVK I am completely lost at your statements. $1200 for a hard headed dog that doesn't handle, is starting to show signs of a good dog. Pedigree papers of 2 fields champions means nothing if the dog is useless. I don't keep those kind of dogs. At 13 months old they either got it or they don't.

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

Mvk, What I,m trying to say is in my world a 1200 young would be doing it right, not starting to show signs, he would be hunting like a demon not good for his age, he would be able to get some with the big dogs. I don't care at all what they are out of or what their blood line is. As far as handling, same thing no problem I can fix but for 1200 should handle like a baby. Not trying to be rude just my opinion. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Here we go the dog is doing at great job at his age his problem is he handles hard, better yet bring one of yours down thats a year old, see if he can hang with ol money. Now not knowing you i am funny about handling i never use a lead strap except at hunts, when i call i want em there no more or no less. I am not one to scorch there neck off over handling with a collar , he is coming around but its been a slow process. Handling has nothing to do with ability to overcome game unless i have missed something?

Lop sided beagler

THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's priced as if he is a "made dog". Your talking to a man that shocks his dog last of anyone! When your lop sided you need a dog that handles, specially for that price.

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

Hang on Jimbo,,,till i get the popcorn. This is gonna get good.

Dave

Well the first week or two of september we have a little thing in kentucky called court days and there is a little town in bath county called preston. They wheel and deal in guns and dogs actually its a pretty neat thing to see, bring a few hundred bucks and probaly find what you boys are after, probaly for three hundred you can pick your own papers , as for me i have wasted a lifetime on my little friends trying to produce the best i could and at this time i dont need the cash and probaly wont in the future, so when you find that Next Big Thing for 300.00 please take a minute and share it with us all. I used to ride harleys for years and found you can a Harley or just a cheap bike as for me The rest is History so they say Good luck and take care.Remember this Next time ya pay 50.00 for you and the wife a steak dinner and it was great, you will go back. If it Sucked you tell everyone i have satisfied several people over the years and hope to do so in the future. My dogs are not cheap but there worth what i am asking.

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

I agree about the handling mvk, not trying to degrade your young dog don't misunderstand. And no thats my problem I don't have any what I call good young dogs thats why I'm looking. But I do get down to eastern Ky about 2 or 3 times a year and would love to hear him go. Maybe I'll have some good young dogs then. This whole post was not my attempt to buy a dog it was a simple statement that in my opinion beagles as a whole are watered down not as tuff as they used to be. Maybe it's just a bad run of luck but the last 10 or so I've had were disappointing.

Lop sided beagler

Believe me, "I'm the working man", and id pay your "workin mans" price, money is never an issue when it comes to running dogs, but to pay $1200.00 for a dog that my "$300.00" dogs will absolutly outperform based on your descriptions, just doesn't make sense to "the workin man".

Augerhead I understand your statement regarding dogs and for you all I can give is my opinion. To find a great young dog these days that someone wants to let go, are hard to find. All you can do is keep looking. Be sure that when grading your "new" young dog that you are basing it on your favorite beagles when they where that age not what they are as made dogs. Good luck to you in your pursuit!

No disrespect taken but if a fella is honest in his dealings you pay good hard earned money and big money you should be satisfied with your hound. There is lots of jacks out there just laying and waiting for the next sucker. Good luck with you quest.

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

MVk, were you talking to me? A little sensitive don't ya think. Infact I'll probably be in Preston usually try to make it. Been doing this for 30 years aleast seen alot of dogs owned very few what I call good ones. I'm happy you have alot of money and alot of good dogs I don't. But don't talk like I don't know what a good dog is or won't pay for one I do and I will. And to suggest that I would put papers on A dog was ugly. You don't know me And I don't know you, but I wouldn't throw out slander like that, thats just bad advertisement. By the way preston is in October.

Lop sided beagler wrote:Believe me, "I'm the working man", and id pay your "workin mans" price, money is never an issue when it comes to running dogs, but to pay $1200.00 for a dog that my "$300.00" dogs will absolutly outperform based on your descriptions, just doesn't make sense to "the workin man".

Augerhead I understand your statement regarding dogs and for you all I can give is my opinion. To find a great young dog these days that someone wants to let go, are hard to find. All you can do is keep looking. Be sure that when grading your "new" young dog that you are basing it on your favorite beagles when they where that age not what they are as made dogs. Good luck to you in your pursuit!
Well short of the fact that you are trying to get under my skin , it aint working today. I dont guess i know your name but mine is Jimmie Abshire so whenever you would like to overcome my pup achievments fill free to load your hound you payed 300 for and Come On Down. He has run all summer so heat is not a factor. Maybe the sooner the better.859 274 2555. :nod:

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Bring me 1200 bucks and i will guaratee you we will go see a couple guys and you will leave with 3 outstanding broke hounds that will absolutely impress you big mouths front end running dogs that will handle and hang with anything you put on the ground with them These guys down this way cull dogs that hunters buy that win field trials But you better like fast dogs with line control and im talkin fast fights the front type of hounds