The Real Problem with the quality/philosophy of Beagles

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dr. Chris

The Real Problem with the quality/philosophy of Beagles

Post by Dr. Chris »

I don’t believe what I am hearing throughout pages of this site, I got two words for many on here “Jibber Jabber”. But I guess this is just another sign of the times. It is also in sports and other areas.

Back in the day in baseball, 1971 through 1979 Bert Blyleven averaged between 273 and 325 innings per year and he averaged 16 complete games those nine years. Luis Tiant pitched for 19 years. During his hey day from 1968 1976 he averaged 271 innings per year and 18 complete games per year. Jim Palmer pitched 19 years in the bigs, from 1969 through 1978 he averaged 19 wins per season, he also averaged 18 complete games per year and 272 innings per year. Bob Gibson, 17 seasons averaged 18 complete games, 263 innings and 20 wins per season. I could go on and on… now you have a starting pitcher, one or two middle relief and then a “closer”. And these “men” did this without the use of steroids.

But back to beagling, some don’t like it when a dog barks at a hole at the end of a race… we liked it because we would roll a briar down the hole and get the game in our bag, or if you were lucky enough to have one, a man would put a ferret or tamed weasel down the hole to run the rabbit out. It was all about the end result, getting the game. Who made this a taboo and against the rules? Field Trialing.

Some don’t like a beagle that runs fox, deer or any other game. We wanted them to run whatever put meat on the table, and knew that they were “instinctively” doing what they were bred to do, “pursue game” and we actually liked a good fox chase better than rabbit anyway. Who made this a taboo and against the rules? Field Trialing.

We liked it when one or two of the dogs in the pack gave a little extra mouth on frosty mornings or in bad conditions to indicate to the pack and us that there is game in the vicinity, as long as they eventually got it up. Who made this a taboo and against the rules? Field Trialing.

We also “demanded” hunt and we didn’t have to beg, plead, coax or have to wait until they were 1 or 2 years old or until “they are ready” to pack or hunt. There was “culling” and usually culling meant pushing up daisies, not breeding them to a “Field Champion” and praying for a miracle. Who started this “garb”, field trialers.

I loved field trialing, some of my best friends I met at trials and field trialing has done great things for beagling as far as creating “interest in beagling”, but as far as producing a superior hunting hound in the field? Don’t kid yourselves.

Why are many of these things considered taboo or wrong? Because some men at AKC sat around a table and decided it was and like “sheep”, the rest of the beagle organizations followed suit along with most beaglers.

Some of you guys have dogs that look as out of place in a field as Betty White would look as the starting quarterback for the Steelers, walking around with a lost look in their eyes just simply looking lazy and stupid. Cull those soft, painted toe nail with matching collar, eating gourmet food in the air condition, I’ll hunt when I’m ready to, house mutts! They don’t need more “time” or another cross of this or that, they need culled! There are too many “true” hunting dogs out there, but there is also a mass production of culls produced by lily white “runners” but not “gunners”. In my time I have seen “Preachers with Demons”, and today I see more and more trialers/hunters with more of a mind set of PETA then of a hunter and they just don’t know it and they are afraid to “cull” the right way.

And please don’t tell me “times have changed old man from the 30’s”, because I went to watch a game on TV and my game was interrupted so they could broadcast the first “gay marriage” in New York. If that’s what we are changing to, I will gladly take, relish and remain in the past. And if the standard of many of the dogs of today is an indication of what’s to come, I will gladly take the dogs of yesteryear.

PS- I am heavily on medication today, so if I offended anybody, well I guess you will have to get over it.

Owl Creek

Re: The Real Problem with the quality/philosophy of Beagles

Post by Owl Creek »

Its about time you posted something Chris.
i was worried about ya.
Steve.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

I like the post...very well put!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"

bwe007

Post by bwe007 »

right on doc!
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Well Dr. Chris something we for the most part agree on. Well said, excellent post.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

dont know u but i like what u said
BIGDOGPACE

RYAN KEMP

Post by RYAN KEMP »

dead on!!

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Bravo...Dr. Chris

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

You sure did hit the nail on the head,like i have said many times , trialing on yhe most part is being judged on mistakes, strike and jump good calls, checks when a pack has a break down for 15 seconds, the first dog to take the track gets 25 points, now by the end of an HOUR with a 5 dog pack the results could amout to 500 to 600 points combined, a lot of losses in 1 hour, and this is not satisfactory in a good hunting pack of dogs

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

That was my philosopy on steroids......... :nod:

Whatever medication they have you on I would keep taking because it seems to be giving you real clarity :biggrin:

Mybeagles
Last edited by mybeagles on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Pulpwood725

Post by Pulpwood725 »

What gives you the right ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~to tell the TRUTH!!!

Well done. Just because a dog has a title don't make untouchable in the field.

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

Amen Doc. I would like to ad that the beagles nose has changed. They are being bred to a hotter nose, because of field trials. In UKC the dog has 3 minutes to produce the rabbit from the 3rd bark. I dont feel this is realistic for a hunting situation. Dogs are being bred to not bark until the rabbit is at their nose.

Dave

TC

Post by TC »

Dave Swiger wrote:Amen Doc. I would like to ad that the beagles nose has changed. They are being bred to a hotter nose, because of field trials. In UKC the dog has 3 minutes to produce the rabbit from the 3rd bark. I dont feel this is realistic for a hunting situation. Dogs are being bred to not bark until the rabbit is at their nose.

Dave
Yup Gotta Agree with this...and What Doc Said !! Me Myself i like them Ol Big Nosed Hounds..As Long as they Can Consistently produce I like it. I got into hounds cause i like to listen to em as much as watch and i like a Good Lookin hound to boot. Oh And we only paint the house dogs toe nails when we are trying to Pych out the other guy LOL Now the matchin Collars thats the other 1/2s doings. and like a sayin goes by another fella on Here " I would much rather have a hound that will run Anything Compared to one that wont Run Anything" as far as em Being Soft!!! Well you Wont see ours standin around waitin or skirtin around the heavy brush piles now i know Ol Doc he wouldnt like mine just too purty for him i am Sure, but then again he aint feedin em is he LOL
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

DOC SAID We also “demanded” hunt and we didn’t have to beg, plead, coax or have to wait until they were 1 or 2 years old or until “they are ready” to pack or hunt. There was “culling” and usually culling meant pushing up daisies, not breeding them to a “Field Champion” and praying for a miracle. Who started this “garb”, field trialers.

Very well said, I agree 100% I've been trying to say the same thing on the other post but some how it was changed to me not spending enough money. Glad to see that some one sees it the way I do.