Can Money buy Quality?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bucks better beagles

Can Money buy Quality?

Post by bucks better beagles »

Much has been said recently concerning the quality of dogs vs. the price of a dog. The question then is can money buy a quality dog? Of course it can. Doe money dictate the quality of a dog? Of course, it doesn't. I am always consternated by why someone would criticize another for paying big money for a dog when, if that dog was priced lower, they themselves might be interested in it.

Show me a man who will say that "my dog just ain't for sale" and I will show you either a lier or a man that hasn't been offered enough money for his dog.

I believe "quality" comes with a price. I have a limit on what that price is and have had many dogs that I would love to have but I just wouldn't pay the price. Didn't say, I couldn't, I just wouldn't.

Quality is subjective in nature. What is quality to me is a piece of cull poopy to many other people. As a matter of fact, I have trouble giving my dogs away because most of them run fox even though they can also run a rabbit pretty darn good.

So what do you think, is there a quality/money line that needs to be drawn? Is money ruining the sport? Will we get to a point where only the wealthy have good dogs? Will you run your $1000 dogs with my $300 dogs?

Ron Conroe

Re: Can Money buy Quality?

Post by Ron Conroe »

bucks the problem with that is everybody has a diffrent kind of quality.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

Bucks, I am not a liar but I have owned a few that "were not for sale AT ANY PRICE." Problem was as you say I just did not realize how high ANY PRICE was. I had a guy back in the 90's that I was hunting with and while we were in the woods he tried to buy some of my dogs. I told him that there were a few in the box that would never leave unless all of them left. He proceeded to count out cash so high and threw in a new gun that I emptied my box. When I got home and told my wife she wanted to know what had come over me. I said,"when he counted that money out there were 2 fools standing there and I felt compelled to reduce the number to one." I have oftened wondered though who was the fool. The gun is worn out, the money is spent and he is still breeding the old blood line with success. Bobby (ROWCO)

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Rowco Beagle Kennels wrote:Bucks, I am not a liar but I have owned a few that "were not for sale AT ANY PRICE." Problem was as you say I just did not realize how high ANY PRICE was. I had a guy back in the 90's that I was hunting with and while we were in the woods he tried to buy some of my dogs. I told him that there were a few in the box that would never leave unless all of them left. He proceeded to count out cash so high and threw in a new gun that I emptied my box. When I got home and told my wife she wanted to know what had come over me. I said,"when he counted that money out there were 2 fools standing there and I felt compelled to reduce the number to one." I have oftened wondered though who was the fool. The gun is worn out, the money is spent and he is still breeding the old blood line with success. Bobby (ROWCO)
Right On My Friend Right On.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I agree with everything you said. But I don't think only the rich will have good dogs. I think that any person who has access to good rabbit dog stock or blood and has the time to put plenty of tracks in front of those dogs can have a great dog. The person with money can just do it with a whole lot less work because they can just buy a great dog......DH

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

deerhost wrote:I agree with everything you said. But I don't think only the rich will have good dogs. I think that any person who has access to good rabbit dog stock or blood and has the time to put plenty of tracks in front of those dogs can have a great dog. The person with money can just do it with a whole lot less work because they can just buy a great dog......DH
My feelings, exactly! I've never been rich therefore I get my hounds the hard way, I make them.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Buck Ol Friend MY Runnin HOUNDS AIN~T for sale to any body at any price. Money don`t run rabbits and I`d just have to start over again.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

hounddog wrote:
deerhost wrote:I agree with everything you said. But I don't think only the rich will have good dogs. I think that any person who has access to good rabbit dog stock or blood and has the time to put plenty of tracks in front of those dogs can have a great dog. The person with money can just do it with a whole lot less work because they can just buy a great dog......DH
My feelings, exactly! I've never been rich therefore I get my hounds the hard way, I make them.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
I bet that looks as wierd as it sounds, Hand me that horn dog. :lol:
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

Buck, yes money can and will buy quality,but money dosen't make quality. To me big money might be 1000 dollar to another 5000 yet another 300. Dosen't change the quality of the dog. I bought a female down in KY years ago, I gave 125 dollars for her after trying her. The guy I got her from was happy to get that big money, the same day a guy offered me 250 I was happy to get that big money the last time she sold I believe it was 2500. Same nice female, wide range of big money. The money a dog will bring has alot to do with the man whos buying , and his definition of big money.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Aolt of money can buy a good dog for those who are impatient to look around for every good dog bought for alot of cash with a little time a dog can be found of the same quality alot cheaper The most i have ever give for a dog was 600 she was a top of the line female turned down 1000 for her several times But on the other hand i have purchased dogs for 100 of the same caliber I have 4 dogs and will never turn down the oppurtunity to buy 1 if priced right Alot of people have more money than sense and i am not tight just patient I have sold dogs for as much as 1200 and told the guys they wasnt worth that but i didnt care if i sold them Money cant buy happiness

MGB

Post by MGB »

Buck you need to sell the used equipment you're trying to trade for a dog, and take that cash and buy a dog. Cash is KING.

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Augerhead: You are correct, of course. What is big money to one person is small change to another. Like I said, we have our limits to what we will pay for a dog. I just can't see $1000 running around in coyote country with my name tag on him. Now, I wouldn't mind losing $300 to one. Having said this, what would you take for one of the two good dogs you have left? How much is enough?

Charley: Come on old (I do mean Old) friend. Are you telling me that if someone offered you $10,000 for one of you dogs, you wouldn't take it? How about $15000, 20,000, 50,000? Hypothetical here but I could go on and on. Everything has its price. You can start over in a heart beat with that kind of money.

Rowco: Great story and you are so right. Money will and should buy your dogs as you told it. A good man can train more hounds. You have to sell when somebody is there and wants that badly to buy. Good trainers are getting very hard to find. Most people want to buy one already made.

Rabbitsmoker: That is the point. There comes a time when no matter how much you love your dog, a big enough offer will get it. What is big enough? That is left to the discretion of the seller. Money may not buy happiness but it can buy new dogs which you can be happy with. "Happiness" is debatable also. I have been just as happy with a full bottle of Jack and a $50 dog as I have been with a $1000 dog and an empty bottle of Jack. Just sayin.

MGB: Thanks for the advice and I did just that. As a matter- of- fact, since I made that post, I have bought and/or sold 6 dogs. I now have 9 at my disposal, Five running dogs, 2 pups and 2 on the way. I am living the good life.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Money doesn't guarentee quality, but quality usually comes at a great price. That price can be your $$$ or it can be your time. If your going to buy quality you need to be able to discern quality. Many men have thought they were buying a Diamond and ended up with the Cubic Zirconia.

I've never purchased a finished dog and dont think I ever will. Only purchased a couple started dogs and those ended up being an incredible waste of money. Im sure you could buy a top shelf dog if you spared no expense, but it will never bond to you or be appreciated like one you raise and put the time into.

Even being as quick as I am to cull, I have a 2 y/o in my kennel right now that is not a phenominal hound. She hunts hard, can solo a rabbit a long time, has a pretty good nose, but she's not super fast, flat 7, she pops sometimes in the check, not super fast out of check, content to slot up in the pack, but for some reason I really like her. Likely wont win any trophies with her but it's going to take quite a hound to take this gyps kennel spot.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

MGB, You must not know buck, cash is not an issue trust me. His made some offers and bought for big cash. But he is knowbodys pigeon, he has been doing this for a long time I've sold him lots of dogs. Show him the quality he will show you the cash!

MGB

Post by MGB »

Whoa boys it wasn't ment as a dig. Put your guns down.