Can Money buy Quality?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

warddog

Re: Can Money buy Quality?

Post by warddog »

The value of anything lies in the eyes of the beholder! Anything can be bought but the value or quality is subjective. I've watched many $800.00 dogs go that I wouldn't give $8.00 for but the seller thought they were worth every penny. Years ago, I went to see a very well bred dog ran one time and it had great hunt, jump and could run a rabbit. The only thing was out of about 6 or 7 that it started I never seen one circled. Yeah there was good quality in the breeding, the hunt, the jumping and the running..............to a point as that running NEVER produced a rabbit that could have been shot. Not quality enough for me and cetrtainly not worth $800.00. Now I'm sure someone bought that very dog and i'm sure in a pack it was awesome quality but I didn't buy it nor was I disappointed that I didn't.

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

I can truthfuly say that I have one that no amount of money will buy. Is he that good of a dog? no! but he is my best friend he sleeps with me,If my truck moves he`s in it.I`ve probably got between 6 & 7 thousand dollars tied up in him in vet bills.He`s been with me for 7 yrs. and he will die with me .when he dies he will be cremated & his ashes put in the coffin with me when I die. Am i a fool? not much doubt about that.I`m a poor boy and onece turned down 12000 dollars for a 7 month old lab(Feb 1979) . he died with me 11 yrs. later.and this beagle will die with me also.If I was buying a dog of his calibur 500 would be the absolute most I`d pay and I promis you 50,000 wont buy him.

Tonyallen83

Post by Tonyallen83 »

The more I try and find a good hound these days the more I think money isn't even the issue and papers don't run rabbits I think the quest for quality in a hound comes down to luck or a blessing from above most experienced hunters will tell you that one in a thousand dogs they go through are truly good ones the hunters who tell you they have had all kinds of good ones are probably trying to sell you one. JMO

TC

Post by TC »

tenntreedog wrote:I can truthfuly say that I have one that no amount of money will buy. Is he that good of a dog? no! but he is my best friend he sleeps with me,If my truck moves he`s in it.I`ve probably got between 6 & 7 thousand dollars tied up in him in vet bills.He`s been with me for 7 yrs. and he will die with me .when he dies he will be cremated & his ashes put in the coffin with me when I die. Am i a fool? not much doubt about that.I`m a poor boy and onece turned down 12000 dollars for a 7 month old lab(Feb 1979) . he died with me 11 yrs. later.and this beagle will die with me also.If I was buying a dog of his calibur 500 would be the absolute most I`d pay and I promis you 50,000 wont buy him.
treedog
I got one here just like the one your talkin about got his own Spot on the recliner right next to me!! Sleeps at my Feet in the bed ect And been Offered Some Dang good Money fer ol chance! but Money Aint everything to some of us, and he aint goin no where....I think we got the best of Both worlds here i have Sold Some BIG money Dogs in the Show world and got a good price out of others before. Now i have been Known to Sell for Less than offered to folks depending on Who and when. we were offered $1000 for one female a couple years back but decided to Sell her for $500 to a couple folks that we thought would do her right Sure glad Cleo went where she is now. I Do know that money wil buy Quality But it also depends on what Quality your lookin for...
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

TC and Tenntreedog: We are speaking philosophically here but are you folks telling me that if a man laid, say, $100,000 on the chair where your dog was laying next to you, that that wouldn't buy that dog? My hat is off to you. Maybe Descarte has found his man.

TC

Post by TC »

bucks better beagles wrote:TC and Tenntreedog: We are speaking philosophically here but are you folks telling me that if a man laid, say, $100,000 on the chair where your dog was laying next to you, that that wouldn't buy that dog? My hat is off to you. Maybe Descarte has found his man.
Well Buck I just Might at that price But I Know for a fact i would get him back For a lot less within a few day LOL he aint worth Much to nobody but me im Sure so Aint got that to Worry about LOL He Got Rabbit Smart on me early On When he figured out he couldnt outrun the other hounds so he would jump em let the others run em and try to head em Off LOl About shot him More n once BUT if there is a rabbit to be Found he Will find it!!! Opens early on a cold track too But oh what a Voice!!!-10 or 90+ dont matter to him. Got a personality Only a few would love but hes My Buddy for sure....goin on 11 now. been down in the back to the point of complete crate rest for a few weeks but pulled through and now trains pups and keeps the squirrels out of the yard..I learned early On the Hard way if ya Dont wanna Sell em Dont price em.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

I sure hope no one is foolish enough to offer that kind of money for my mutt. I`d have to turn it down And he would probably die the next day.had that happen twice also offered way more money they were worth just to have one get run over the very next day and anothr die within a week of refusing to sell.Maybe somebody is trying to tell me something .but I`m pig headed and dont listen well.

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

TC and tenntreedog: Great story and I admire you. I am not trying to be a smart ass. Some of my dogs are my best friends. I don't have many human friends because they tend to bore me but I love my dogs. I am a big sentimentalist at heart. It has been harder for me have a few of my dogs pass than it was to give up most of the people I know. That is probably why I don't keep them long. Just can't stand the tear drops.

10ACbeagles

Post by 10ACbeagles »

I got 3 that I wouldnt take no amount of money in the world for.Not 100 g's or 100 million.Ive cut people off mid sentence when asking to buy my female.It would be a waste of someones breath and my time to try and talk about buyin what I have They are the foundation to what will keep me running/owning hounds that I like for years to come and its my hopes that this bloodline will be alive long after Im dead and gone and something about that makes me proud,makes me feel like Im in this sport for the right reasons...Their my huntin partners and if something were to happen to them id feel a little lost.Kinda weird to me when people talk about how much they love their dogs and love to hear the hounds go but dont even have atleast ONE that will never leave their kennel.Just kinda comes across like you just want a dog that will win some trials,get you &the dog some popularity to get big money off stud fees/offers to buy then you get rid of the dog and turn around askin "Why cant a man buy a good dog anymore" lol..People go to see this big $ dogs run not to see if its gonna be their "one" dog seems like their thinkin "how much can I sell him for after I buy him".If something suits you DONT SELL IT!!!!Tell whoevers trying to buy it keep their money and enjoy the running,check back and see if you have pups later.
I always hear people say "Aint no such thing as a perfect dog" then a dog sells for 5-10 stacks with a add that says "he can do it all hes the perfect hound"
God made dogs....Then he made BEAGLES!

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

My two cents is.

Everything has a price! Enough money any of my culls can be bought. Problem is the only idiot that wants them is me. LOL

I can walk home they can have truck and all if the money is right. LOL but so true.
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

This post is getting kinda scary to read.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

The love of money is the root of all evil. Many of man has sold their soul, their family, their integrity for the almighty dollar.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

My Uncle turned down 50k for a grand nite male and his frozen semen, he won several hunts and was a an English, so he was "off color". Yes he did reproduce and several of his pups sold for 10k plus. I don't think he would do things over, but someone comes offering big cash for one of mine or even fair cash depending on my mood they may leave. They are dogs, not my family. Sorry if that is insensitive to anyone. In dogs satisfaction DOES have a price tag!!! JMO

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I spent all mine on Horses and Divorces the rest i just Threw Away. ;)
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Mine has went on dogs and divorces as well watching feathers fly. Well actually the feathers kind of paid for there self and then some. Then they made it a felony so that was the end of the featehrs flying in our neck of the woods. The dogs is kind of like the divorce a never ending pool. Bottomless pit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO