What Shot size does everyone use?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PrideHillKennel

What Shot size does everyone use?

Post by PrideHillKennel »

Just thought I would ask this question out of currosity.Everyone seams to have thier own preference. Also out of what gun and guage, and what kind of critter ,and Why.

I'll Start.
Rabbits:
410g- 3" # 6's Stoger Condor Youth Full Chokes, Only because I cannot find # 5's.
20g- 2 3/4" # 5's Remington 1100 Special Field Imp Cy. It gives a good ballance between number of Pellets and shot size for longer shots.

Grouse:
20g- 2 3/4" #7.5's or #6's. Remington 1100 Special Field Imp Cy. Shots are usually colose and Fast
20g- 2 3/4" #6 LC Smith double, Mod/Full. It just seems to like # 6's.

Turkey:
12g 3"Winchester High Vel. Turkey loads # 6's or Remington Heavy Shot # 6's, Remington 870 W/ Kicks Choke. It is just what pattens Best. I have tried 4, 5, 6, from Win, Rem, Fed in different shot loads and Vel.

This should be interesting. Brock
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

pineridgebeagles

Re: What Shot size does everyone use?

Post by pineridgebeagles »

I only hunt rabbit and hare 20 ga 7.5 shot has always worked well for me.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Both rabbit and hare are very frail creatures. It takes a little to break them down or kill them. It is pattern that kills.

7.5 shot allows the use of a very open choke and still delivers go ifkilling patterns for rabbit out to 40 yards. Numbers don't lie and unless you tighten the choke the larger the shot size the more open your pattern becomes at longer distances. There will be holes in your pattern that can allow game to escape.

BunnyBuster12

Post by BunnyBuster12 »

Rabbits get remington express long range #6

No grouse

Turkey get the super impressive federall #7 heavyweight. Just try it you won't use anything else.

lebro

Post by lebro »

#6 imp cyl. larger shot generally hold a tighter pattern & less pellets to pick out of your teeth.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

7.5 shot 28 gauge Improved cylinder
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

I shoot whats on sale for rabbits, don't care about turkeys they smell like a buzzard!!!!