When buying a pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kbbgood

When buying a pup

Post by kbbgood »

Here is a topic that bothers me. I have been looking at ads and websites for a while now, and most of the time when looking at pups in the ads they don't give a size. Now, if I am not mistaken there is the two classes, 13 and 15 inch. So when looking at buying an new pup and I have not got any yet, What do I need to know when buying if I want to make sure of the size. I for sure want to stay in the 13" size and want to build from there. Don't want to start a kennel or anything, just want to build a good size pack of dogs for myself. I just want to hunt with them. But want papered dogs. Has to breed got so far away from true that they can't rely on the size they have so they don't advertize the size? I don't know, Just asking.

Panther Creek

Re: When buying a pup

Post by Panther Creek »

You can get both sizes in the same litter. There's really no way to tell for sure. But I would start by gettin a pup from 13" parents.
I have a 12" female that came from a 13" dam a 15" sire. And another 12" female from 14 & 15" dogs.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Would a "runt" be more apt to give you little hounds?
As with all things, the average or majority of results over the long haul in a direction the breeder is going, is the best way to set the odds in your favour, but there are no absolutes.
The good thing is, if the hounds is quality, there is always the other fellow that thinks the size is just right for him... ;)

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Certain lines tend to throw some small to very small dogs. May want to consider that, but just starting with the 13 inch parents would be best shot at it. I would also say pick small pups from a litter, but that is just my opinion. Good luck!

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

TheJohnBirchSociety