Help Please

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TrippleBFarms

Help Please

Post by TrippleBFarms »

I have a 4 yr old male dog that when i run him the joints in his front legs swell up and he limps bad. this all started about 3 months ago. i ran him one eavening put him up and all was fine, but when i went to feed my dogs the next day he was limping. i checked his foot for a thorn or something found nothing, but in a day or two he was better, but three or four days later he started limping on the other foot. took him to the vet and thay said he had pulled the leaders in his foot. nothing thay could do. Told me to keep him up for 30 days and dont run him. so i did. but it diddent help he will be fine for a few days and then limp for a few days. I ran him sat for the first time in 5 weeks for 3 hrs and when we got home he was fine but later in the day he went to carrying left front leg, and acting like the right leg was hurting to so i dont know what to do. I have been rubbing Horse Liniment on his legs. is there anything else i can do or anything i can give him. Any info or advice would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks Brian Combs
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselvs aginst tyranny in goverment. Thomas Jefferson

BCBeagles

Re: Help Please

Post by BCBeagles »

NUPRO w/ Chondroitin for Joint health.

Find it if you Google NUPRO. I love this stuff in the joint formual and regular!! Hope this helps.

drifter22no1

Post by drifter22no1 »

what kinda collars r u running on him?
Jonah Staten
"Walkem when you have to and Catchem when you can"

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

drifter22no1 wrote:what kinda collars r u running on him?
:nod:

I had a female that her legs got all beat up by a shock collar and once ii stoped running her with a collar her legs where fine!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

20guage1

Post by 20guage1 »

Just a possibility, and I hope I am wrong, if u r able have the dog tested for lyme disease.

SgtUSMC

Post by SgtUSMC »

Sorry, no answer for you. I have a pup that has been doing this also. One day he started holding his back paw off the ground and limping about 2 days after running. Lasted about 3 weeks, but he showed no pain when touching it or bending it shaking it around etc...( He's a big sissy, if he gets a thorn in his ear and you touch it he screams ) Anyways, Last Wednesday he starts favoring the other back paw out of nowhere, by Friday it was gone and I ran him on opening day Saturday for about 2 hours and he never skipped a beat. Killed the first rabbit over him. Now he's back to limping again.

Confused

TrippleBFarms

Post by TrippleBFarms »

Drifter i run tt on him but i am sure that is not it cause i kept him up 5 weeks without running him and he still limps on and off again.
20Guage i have not had him tested for lime desese but i will. Thanks For all the Replys.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselvs aginst tyranny in goverment. Thomas Jefferson

beagler29431

Post by beagler29431 »

For a puppy, I would suspect Pano: http://leerburg.com/pano.htm http://www.critterchat.net/pano.htm

For a grown dog I would suspect tick borne illness (babesia, ehrlichia, lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, or leishmanaiasis): http://www.johnkoerner.org/SportingDogBlog/babesia.html I would highly recommend the Doxycycline treatment, I have found it highly effective.

TrippleBFarms

Post by TrippleBFarms »

BCB i have been giveing him the sportdog vitimin that has Glucosamine, Chrondroitin and MSN for 3 months and that dont seem to help but thanks for the reply. Brian

drifter22no1

Post by drifter22no1 »

TrippleBFarms wrote:Drifter i run tt on him but i am sure that is not it cause i kept him up 5 weeks without running him and he still limps on and off again.

OK,

I have a male that I cannot run the Garmin DC40 on, no matter where I put it on him he comes up lame.

Hope you figure it out and hope it is something simple.
Jonah Staten
"Walkem when you have to and Catchem when you can"

billfosburgh

Post by billfosburgh »

20guage1 wrote:Just a possibility, and I hope I am wrong, if u r able have the dog tested for lyme disease.
thats my thought also
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
CH Andrea`s Cry Baby Emma
CCH Mtn. Views Art of Deception (Sly)
LP B CH LPRCH Big Country`s Mo JO

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

I find this thread interesting not to hi jack but It falls on a subject That I have been wanting to ask about. I have seen on here that some say they pretty much run their hounds every day year round. How much damage can be done to a hound for over running them. Even professional football players, baseball players, etc. need time to heal after a long season. I have a seven year old hound at the end of last season come out limping, he has never quit a race or given up on hunting. I have watched him during the summer and at times he will start to limp on a hind leg. I have treated him all summer with pills to build bone stucture back up. I am thinking his time has come that he will not make the whole season this year with out rest. Its a shame because he was always the first to come get his bell and collar and sing the hunting day song. I have another with lyme disease and he seems ok when cooler weather is around but the heat will drag him down fast. So what is to much for a hound. Every year at the end of our season the hounds have their ears scabbed over and their feet have the hair torn away with visalable cuts and scabbs. I think they welcome a break even though I know they would give their all the next week also. I do not run trials and my hounds are just a bunch of grade pot lickers if this makes a difference.

billfosburgh

Post by billfosburgh »

well you might be on to something. i know when i have a hard day from lets say cutting fire wood, i` sore as heck but when i look at my wood pile this time of the year that soreness turns into a good feeling of pain. i would like to think my hounds feel the same way in March. give them a couple weeks vacation & we go again
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
CH Andrea`s Cry Baby Emma
CCH Mtn. Views Art of Deception (Sly)
LP B CH LPRCH Big Country`s Mo JO

TrippleBFarms

Post by TrippleBFarms »

I am takeing him to the vet tomorrow and have him checked for lime desease. I called them yesterday and asked if lime desease could cause joint swelling and thay said yes and to bring him back so thay could check him, but he is slick as a ribbon eats great and in great shape other than the swelled joints, is there any other symptoms i could look for. Thanks Brian

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

i dont think running them every day hurts them at all,belly got ran 5 hours a day for many years,now he is older than dirt and shows no sighns of going anywere soon
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out