lyme disease shot queation???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Gunslinger Beagles

lyme disease shot queation???

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

I have a buddy that has had 2 of his hounds get lyme disease and now is going to get the shot for them under the advise of his vet. Has anyone used this shot system? What has been the results for you? Thanks for any feedback....Im wondering if I should get mine the shots. Thanks again

goodpickens

Re: lyme disease shot queation???

Post by goodpickens »

My vet recommends it, but to vaccinate all my dogs would cost hundreds. Then the shots don't last very long. 3-4 months is what the vet told me. Personally, I'd rather focus on preventing ticks and killing them. This seems more cost effective than the vaccine.

Incahoots

Post by Incahoots »

Here's a good read on Lyme http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_lyme_disease.html
Lyme disease in the dog is an infection for which over 90% of infected dogs will never get sick and the 5-10% that do get sick can be easily treated with a safe inexpensive course of antibiotics. This situation would seem to indicate that vaccination is simply not worth the expense.
Our Dirty Pond Beagles "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in."
-M. Twain

sunsetredbeagles

Post by sunsetredbeagles »

The shot last for 1 year when you get the booster with it 3 weeks later after first shot.Also frontline,bio-spot,ect only protects the hound from the ticks i was told from the vet it does not protect from the bite if they get bit.So i was told from vet that you still have to give them the protectants every month after the shot which i understand that if they get the lymes will protect the hound from very high fever and ect.

Incahoots

Post by Incahoots »

No vet or anyone to date can say the shot will prevent a dog from coming down with full blown Lyme disease. You can buy a full bottle of Doxycycline for what the shot costs (maybe cheaper). I probally deal with Lyme 1-4 times each year.

I can say for sure once a dog is exposed to Lyme (tests positive to anti bodies) don't waste your time with the shot. The shot is mainly effective on dogs never exposed to Lyme. For most that would mean giving the shots as puppies.
Our Dirty Pond Beagles "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in."
-M. Twain

HOLLABACK

Post by HOLLABACK »

My understanding of the shot is that it will less'n the severity of the illness.The bad is they will always test positive to the test.Antibiotics will help with any of the illness,some longer terms then others.I believe once they have it they have it for life,it just goes into a dormant stage?Most dogs that have had contact and have contracted the illness seem fine without any other problems once treated.I prefer to give it just for my own satisfaction right or wrong,a ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure!(Frontline,Bio Spot,ect)Just my 2 cents worth!
HOLLABACK HOUNDS & GUIDE SERVICE
(Bear,Cat,Coon,& Rabbit)
Baileyville,Maine
1-207-271-0610

sunsetredbeagles

Post by sunsetredbeagles »

Maybe i just don't understand but if you still have to spend the month monies on frontline,Bio spot and they still get the bite from a tick what is the point? I thought these products kept them off and from biting??

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I was of the belief that a dog can get lymes disease and die from it because it is difficult to diaganose early on. Maybe this is not that case anymore. I started my dogs on the vaccine and continue to get the booster and use front line plus, beacuse nothing is 100%, the cost of the shot is not excessive, and the severity of the disease warrants a belt and susspenders approach.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza