check your guns

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mud

check your guns

Post by mud »

Guys, had a first for me today.Deer season is in full swing.My son and I thought we would try to have a rabbit race.I drove up to a small spot I have permission to hunt.We were not having any luck.I said load the dogs.We were a few steps from our truck.The game warden shows up.He checked to make sure we had hunter orange.He checked our license.He checked and made sure we had permission.Everything good at this point.He has us empty our guns in front of him.I empty 3 shells.My son empties 3 shells. All is well so far. He reloads my sons gun and tries to add the 4th shell still all is well.He reloades my guy and low and behold mine will except the 4th shell.I about fell over. The plug in my 20ga had broken allowing the extra shell to be added.He writes me a ticket for an unpluged gun. Cost of ticket was $50 the court cost is going to be $150 for a total of $200 right as Xmas time.I have been hunting 40 years never had a game violation in my life until now.I never thought to ckeck the plug because I always only put whats legal in the magazine.....

DIXIEDOG

Re: check your guns

Post by DIXIEDOG »

That seems like an odd law to have for a rabbit gun. The only plugging laws I have heard of were for migratory birds, otherwise you can load them to the max. Are you sure it's in the law book where you're at? Might be worth appearing in court if it's not clearly defined and you were not bird hunting.

mud

Post by mud »

Dixiedog yes its the law. I knew the law and thought I was in compliance.Who ever checks the plugs in there guns after they are plugged. The citation states that I had only 3 shells in my gun when unloaded.I showed the officer that I had only 3 shells in by unloading my gun in front of him.He said I could have removed a shell before I brought the gun to him.I stated you seen me at the time I seen you. I may try and go to court instead of mailing the fine in.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Same here in TN , 3 only for migratory birds , all small game is what ever ole Besty hold's . I'd double check the laws as well
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

This same thing, I mean verbatim, happened to my Dad a couple of years ago in the dove field. TOUGH LUCK! Don't you wish the Warden's would concentrate on the real law-breakers? Geez. Crazy though, I mean that is exactly what happened to my Dad.

Phillip B

Post by Phillip B »

It is the law in Kentucky for shotgun but rifle I thank its what ever your gun will hold

Dunbar Family Kennel

Post by Dunbar Family Kennel »

Same thing happen to me about 6 years ago in the dove field. I will never forget when that 3rd shell came out it was a 12 gage Slug :shock: Thank god I only got a ticket for no plug.
Home of :
LP R CH D-D JET
LP R CH Branko's Whole Lotta Rosie
LP R CH LP B CH Mootry's OKla Pepper
Lp B CH Mt. View Macrae Beauty
Lp R CH Shenold's Sue
Lp B CH Caitie's Swamp Ghost Daisy

mud

Post by mud »

Yes it's the law in Ky. He told me I was lucky that he did not take my gun. I was respectful.I am an old coggger tough to swallow a few other things he said to me but I took it. The only thing I said out of the way was when I asked him how much the court cost would be if I mail the ticket in with payment like he suggested was that I thought $150 for court cost was the same as stealing....

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

In IL it is illegal for any shotgun to hold more than 3 shells while hunting unless you are hunting snow geese during the snow geese season. I just figured it was the same everywhere.
Crane Creek Kennels

Freeman Beagles

Post by Freeman Beagles »

Missouri has the 3 shell law except for turkey and deer. the max for rifles is 11 rounds. We can't run our hounds during rifle deer season. Won't be able to run until next thursday. Dogs are getting fat just sitting in the kennel.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

sad thing is, years ago they would have just let you go with a warning. but the state is so broke they will take your money any way they can get it.

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

Had that same thing happen to me in dove field plug had broken .they confinscated gun went to court judge said that it was an accident and threw it out.

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

Fill it up to the max in North Carolina except Migratory Game Birds.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I am getting a .410 single shot for rabbits this Christmas from my girlfriend. Tough break mudd, be happy it wasn't more than $50.00
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

DAN LANG

Post by DAN LANG »

..i would take it to court.......he might not show up and then they throw it out.........not to mention...50 bucks is a little steep for an un plugged gun....plus court costs////holy cow.......

..several years ago go stopped by a game warden for running a snow mobile off the trail.....trail was not marked well..got confused.....game warden acted like an idiot.......went to court.......explained to the judge we made a mistake....he gave us a 5 dollar fine..........even he realized that the game warden was being a little over zealous.....