Stud Dog Choice

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PABeagler

Stud Dog Choice

Post by PABeagler »

I have a 13" female out of Beavercreeks Blue Max I want to breed if I can find the right stud. I don't trial, and I judge a dog by accomplishment over style.

Want
Quiet in Kennel
Desire
Smart Hunt- doesn't have to have great hunt, but must find its own rabbit.
Nose for tough conditions
Excellent line control
Good Loud Voice
Good Speed- but doesn't have to be a barn burner.
Size 13" to 14"

Don't Want
Prone to run trash (e.g., runs anything with fur or is difficult to break on deer).
Timid or skittish dog
Tight mouthed
Over 14"

What stud do you recommend, and who owns him? How would you describe him?

Casey Harner

Re: Stud Dog Choice

Post by Casey Harner »

I was wondering when you would be posting a topic like this. Like I said to you on the phone, check some of the pups out of your stud choices. Make sure you see a few out of different bitches. You know my choice if I was you.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

IFC Green Bay Butkus
Tim O'Grady
740-391-9806
BELLAIRE, OH
www.keyviewbeagles.com
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

PABeagler

Post by PABeagler »

Come on guys, there has to be more than two dogs out there. Lets hear your recommendations.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

mooredog wrote:IFC Green Bay Butkus
Tim O'Grady
740-391-9806
BELLAIRE, OH
http://www.keyviewbeagles.com
+1
TheJohnBirchSociety

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I ran one off of Butkus with 8 dogs this am. She put in a lot of work, she can get it done under the gun for sure. She doesn't have the big mouth as you like, but you can definitely hear her. I like what I have seen off of him and I am 99% hunter, but will attend a few trials here and there.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Ninja crosses well with Shaker
You might wanna look at IFC Doylands Jimmy
He fits all of your criteria
Arlie Thompson #567-241-9948
Hope this Helps.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

big matt t

Post by big matt t »

grch grhbch white ruver coal miner he is located in missouri now with phil gardner!! :)

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

I could show you a couple of males that are just as you describe. I have 2 males with good hunt that can run run when most cannot, they are not the fastest but they will never be left behind, will not miss the turn. They are not famous or anything, but I'll run them for anyone anytime. ;)
Last edited by fasttrackpa on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

The bitches out of max cross really well with Ripper. You would have Shaker on top and Ninja on the bottom. Doesn't get much better than that.

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

IfC Greenbay Butkis is what I'd try if i were you. my buddy is running a very tough little 13inch red tick bitch that is'nt quite a year old yet.....
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Branko's Red River Runner or Kimbrel's Kick Em Up Kane.
Last edited by Casey Harner on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Roseland

Post by Roseland »

Last edited by Roseland on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roseland Beagles

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I'm speaking only in terms of were you live here in Jersey and what you most likley be running which is mostly cottontails with maybe the occasional trip to run hair up north and the fact that you are looking for a straight hunting dogs out of this cross with out being over competitive and running you too far off the line and out of a rabbit. I think you would be best served by a some of the studs in PA. They tend to be running decent foot with good control and smoother running dogs, NY tends to have a footier dogs maybe a tad harder hitting. Western PA runs a little more conservative dog. These are only genralizations. But just giving you ideas of what kind of dogs predominate our area. You said your not a trialer but go to a few trials this spring in PA and or NY and watch the males run, they will let anyone watch in the pen as long as you don't disrupt the pack and then you can watch them run, hunt and also pick the owners brain on what his line is throwing. You may also want to check out Gary Slick in PA. He has let me watch some of his males run when I was trying to pick a stud. He will run them solo for you or in a pack. There are a bunch of good people here in PA and NY area that will show you there dogs and they are only a few hours drive from Jersey ....Hop that helps! DH

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

well said deer host. my breeding is from jack eddy from northeast pa. very good hunting dogs, awesome kennel manners run to catch type of dog. Also like deerhost said gary slick, check out his website or google his name and you will find his website.
Im in central nj myself, pm me if you want to run