jump vs hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluecollar beagler

Re: jump vs hunt

Post by bluecollar beagler »

ive had the fortune of being able to run with a buddies fc dog for a few years now and he is an absolute extreme jump dog. i love watching him work. ive noticed that when other dogs might be covering more ground then he is, he's searching with a purpose, taking his time checking brush piles and covering the area thoroughly where the other dogs are covering alot of ground but to me there basically running around aimlessly and will occassionally run across a hot track... to me the dogs that when you drop the tailgate can hunt with a purpose and not hunt aimlessly are the jump dogs that consistantly jump all the rabbits.
i think it was gw in a post above that said alot of guys throw pups in with older dogs and it doesnt give them a chance to figure out how to search properly. yes alot of it might have to do with breeding but alot of it has to do with training too i think.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,SOLO,.......AND YES MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL,SOLO YOUR HOUND TO GET HIS OR HER FULL POTENTIAL. ALSO YOU WILL FIND OUT ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW AND YOUR HOUND WILL LEARN MOST OF HOW TO JUMP A RABBIT IF YOU SOLO. YOU WILL SEE HOW HE JUMPS RABBITS IF YOU SOLO. AND IF YOU SOLO AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE YOU MAY HAVE A HOUND THAT HUNTS WITH YOU AND JUMPS FOR YOU.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

All my dogs are good at jumping rabbits and one is better than the others but do I call any of them a jump dog? No. I think a jump dog is born and not trained to find the rabbit. The natural jump dog is not always the one beating the briars like a rat on acid but it just seems to know where to go and find a rabbit. Like stated earlier, it can find a rabbit in the middle of Wal-Mart parking lot. I have been rabbit hunting with dogs for 50 years and have had some dogs that were good at jumping rabbits but only one that I called a jump dog. She didn't seem to be hunting hard at all but she usually jumped 7 out of 10 day in and day out. Been looking :eyes: for another one like that for a long time now.

lebro

Post by lebro »

if they need solo time to reach full potential they will not eat here. i run as a pack and hunt as a pack. i might run 2 or 3 dogs to make sure they get plenty of track and chances to jump a rabbit. i will not baby them so they can get to a level im happy with.get a pack of dogs that hunts hard and run in a pack and you will be able to account for plenty of rabbits.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

yep, feed at least 5 to 10 when if u do it properly you only need 1 to 2 depending if 1 has a off day, listen to that advice and you will go broke feeding
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

houndboy13

Post by houndboy13 »

gwyoung wrote:houndboy13, The best jump dog I ever saw was simply outstanding in this regard . You could take two other jump dogs, yes jump dogs out with her and she would out jump both of them very easily. 2nd place was a good ways down the list from her. But I did not breed to her and I could have for several years due to her other faults that I could not overlook. You could jump every rabbit on the place with her but you could not run them with her in the pack.

when you say you couldnt run the rabbits that she jumped with her in the pack, why was that? would she catch em, or does it go back to sometimes the best jump dogs might not run them very well?? and i guess the dog that everybody wants is that true jump dog that can run one just as good..would there be a need for a pack if one of those type of dogs showed up.lol

dog

Post by dog »

bluecollar beagler wrote:ive had the fortune of being able to run with a buddies fc dog for a few years now and he is an absolute extreme jump dog. i love watching him work. ive noticed that when other dogs might be covering more ground then he is, he's searching with a purpose, taking his time checking brush piles and covering the area thoroughly where the other dogs are covering alot of ground but to me there basically running around aimlessly and will occassionally run across a hot track... to me the dogs that when you drop the tailgate can hunt with a purpose and not hunt aimlessly are the jump dogs that consistantly jump all the rabbits.
i think it was gw in a post above that said alot of guys throw pups in with older dogs and it doesnt give them a chance to figure out how to search properly. yes alot of it might have to do with breeding but alot of it has to do with training too i think.
i have to disagree with you on this , my Casey dog hunts head up , cuts like a pointer , works the wind and covers alot of ground , he dont waste his time shoving his nose in a brush pile he knows dont hold a rabbit , he dont have to be on top of one to smell it have had others tell me he is just running around like hes stupid , a few rabbits later their changing their tune , not saying hes a great dog , but he will jump 80% to 90% of the rabbits i run , and dont do bad on the track either , i could sit back and watch him hunt all day , it almost funny to watch ! when he hits scent he will throw his nose in the air and zero in on it , the closer he gets the lower the nose goes ! Oh and if you watch him you will see he only has one purpose and that is to find a rabbit !

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

houndboy13, The best jump dogs I have seen all had similar method. They looked for promising cover , they went in , They use their ears, nose and eyes,( how many times have you all saw a dog stop under a brush pile , and act as though they saw and/or heard something then get all the more excited and press forward and next thing you know, rabbit, you could tell by the way they were acting that a rabbit was there couldn't you?) They go from one promising piece of cover to another, and they go in. I like to talk enough to let my dogs know what direction I am moving in, this way I am evaluating promising cover also and keeping the dogs near it, A dog should hunt an area moving back and forth in it, the ones that go straight ahead until you don't know where they are, belong to someone else shortly. If you are in a somewhat open area and a piece of promising cover comes up they will immediately go over to it , AND GO IN.
Some has been said about the best dogs being wind scenters just about exclusively, and If this is your experience than that is your experience, I do not doubt what you are saying. I only added that to say that the best dogs that I have seen worked in the manner I have already described, PLUS they also wind scented , I have seen them passing by cover , stop on a dime, and then jump the rabbit , But they will and did jump far, far, far more by Finding promising cover and going In! Wind scenting was just another lesser tool that they had. Getting back to the particular dog that I said I would not breed to because you couldn't run with her in a pack. She was somewhat hyper,and always had to have the front, always, She would run off the end of the line for about twenty yards barking all the way at every turn, Realized she lost the rabbit and make a fifty yard circle find him and off she would go again. As far as your question about would you only need one dog if they could do it all, yes, I guess you would be right, But what it comes down to is would you rather hear Steven Tyler sing solo, or would you rather hear Aerosmith?

lebro

Post by lebro »

But what it comes down to is would you rather hear Steven Tyler sing solo, or would you rather hear Aerosmith?
gwyoung i have not agreed with every thing you have said but you hit the nail on the with this comment as far as im concerned. :cool:
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

A real jump dog just has a knack for jumping rabbits. I've read all the ways described in the previous post, and I have seen dogs use them all. A true jump dog knows when to use what and they make it look easy.

I'd also like to add; I don't think most guys keep jump dogs around long enough to know what they have. Jump dogs seem to have a mind of their own. They can do some of the strangest things and drive you crazy. The rewarding part is learning to trust what they are doing and reap the rewards.

I had one that looked like she marked spots where rabbits were bedded while running another. When you killed the rabbit they were running, she would take off and go back to where the other rabbit was. For guys that had to have control of the pack, she would be culled for being hard headed. I just learned to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Nothing could be finer!

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I agree with beaglerun,The great ones make it look easy plain and simple.I have only seen 2 hounds I would call Jump dogs(I didn't own either one)they were both females and wern't flashy dogs kind of unassuming hounds.When you first saw them hit the brush they would give you the impression that they didn't have a lot of hunt to them.At the end of the day when you started tallying up rabbits jumped ,every time one of these dogs was present they would account for70% to 90% of the total rabbits jumped.They were on the ground with some good dogs by anyones standards that didn't have any trouble jumping and running their owne rabbits.And they didn't tear themselves up doing it either. You see on these posts people advertising a dog as a jump dog or great jump dog.The 2 hounds that I refered to earlier could not be bought for any amount or money.A friend and running/hunting buddy owned one of them and I saw him turn down an almost new truck for his little female.I know if I'm ever lucky enough to own one I would most likely have trouble letting it go myself.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

lebro, Thank you, and I am glad you don't always agree. I have always been of the opinion if two people were exactly alike then one of them wasn't necessary! Also, we learn very little to nothing, from those who agree with every aspect of what we think on a particular subject. Good running to you.

sparky

Post by sparky »

likeemfast wrote:SOLO YOUR HOUND TO GET HIS OR HER FULL POTENTIAL.
+1
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

gwyoung wrote:lebro, Thank you, and I am glad you don't always agree. I have always been of the opinion if two people were exactly alike then one of them wasn't necessary! Also, we learn very little to nothing, from those who agree with every aspect of what we think on a particular subject. Good running to you.
LOVED HOW YOU PUT THAT .. SO TRUE ...
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

mtnwaykennel

Post by mtnwaykennel »

Tim Lamie has a little female named Holly... She is the one and only "jump dog" I can say I have hunted with day in and day out. She always knew where she needed to be and just always seemed to find the rabbit. I have a female that jumps aot of rabbits.. and my brother has a female that jumps a ton of rabbits... but ol Holly was always a sight to behold. So I agree there are very few jump dogs out there. I have yet to own one.

Bill Woods
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!