Kennel Tags / Dog tags

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hammerenpatch

Kennel Tags / Dog tags

Post by hammerenpatch »

Well the good old State of Ohio is getting ready to sock it to us in another way
I just got my 2012 dog tags @ $16.00 per tag with all my hounds and pets cost me $112.00
If I wanted to get a Kennel license you don't get a breag they are still 16.00 per tag and the state
is going to require all that have a kennel License to purchase a vendor License for another 27.00
and under go a state kennel inspection they are wanting to charge sales tax on all puppy sales
The lady told me they know your not givining them away and that this is another way for the
state to generate revenue she said that she didn't know when all of this was going to take place
they tried it a couple years ago and it got put on the back burner but are back at it again.
she also mentioned with the kennel license includes breeders, peaple that show the dogs, and use for hunting all the legal people.
I beleive the puppy mills have caused this and why don't they spend their time going after them and leave the honest
people alone. geez.

bluecollar beagler

Re: Kennel Tags / Dog tags

Post by bluecollar beagler »

theres already been a topic on this a few weeks ago... it was pretty good discussion. look back a few pages and you'll see it..

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

thanks found it and read it.
why the differen prices per tag for the state
I live in Allen co. and its $16.00 per tag or or $80. per kennel no break

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Hammerin, here in Auglaize county its $20.00 per tag. If you buy a kennel license its $100.00 which includes 5 tags then a $1.00 for each additional tag. The State made it a law that tags are required, but the counties set up the fees.

Until 2 years ago our tags were only $10.00, but then the county thought they needed to hire a dog warden. Then the dog warden naturally requires a vehicle, and decides he needs 2 helpers. Now our tags are $20.00. If you waited until today to renew then its $40.00 a tag.

Next up for our grande ole county? The need to find funding for kennels to house the dogs that 3 dog wardens round up.

You know? 4 years ago we didn't have a dog warden(s). There was no need for an extra county vehicle and fuel to operate it. If there was a problem animal the county or city law enforcement people took care of it. I'm sure there were more honest citizens back then who were buying dog tags because they were affordable.

Whatever the case may be I would venture to bet this new department is not paying for itself, and we will continue to see the costs for dog ownership to go up.

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

In the county where I work the Sheriff's office had to lay off 10 or so deputies because of budget cuts....Amazingly enough the dog warden was suddenly investigated by the Sheriff Department claiming she was not "keeping accurate records of donations". She was never told how to keep these records or what sort of detail she needed to have in the receipt book, although they said publically that she was performing her job over and above expectations. I am guessing you know where this is going....she was ousted from her job and now the Sheriff's Department was able to bring back 2 deputies to fill her position. :???: So the county went from paying her a wage of $30k to now paying almost $100k because she did not record the addresses of the people giving donations such as cleaning supplies and dog food.

In the newspaper they made it sound like the Sheriff's Office was doing the county a favor by taking over the dog pound so that the county would not have to hire anyone to replace the former dog warden. I hope the public saw through this ploy...the Sheriff Department successfully tarnished a lady and her family in order to put their deputies back to work. The lady came under such scrutiniy that she will probably never be able to find a job again. :mad2:
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

Buckeye Blues I know the fee's double I got mine by the dead line just had
to cool down a little before I posted.

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

When i was a kid if someone had of told me in the future in the land of plenty people would buy water to drink and air to go into tires i would have called them crazy.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

While I do not have a dog in the fight, it appears that the Great State of Ohio is desperate for revenue and find pet owners vulnerable !!!

dog

Post by dog »

It has nothing to do with the state , it is county run , each county dictates there own prices and policies

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Move to Iowa we dont have to do anything but have rabies tags on our dogs. No fees for pets here, atleast not that im aware of.?.?

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I am fortunate to live in Columbiana County, Ohio. I do pay for a kennel in the years I plan on raising pups for sale. They decide if you are a kennel based on the intention you have of breeding rather than the number of dogs owned. The kennel L is $60. Was $40 last year They show up unanounced every year to inspect the facility. They are most interested in making sure the dogs have adequate housing, water, immunizations, cleanliness, and general health. They have always been very nice and are generaly concerned about insuring that kennels provide their animals with a quality life. I believe if they found an undesirable situation they would help the owner improve the situation so that the dogs would have what they need. I believe they would involve the law in extreme abusive or neglect cases. IMO they provide a good service that I don't mind paying for. Is it the responsability of all dog owners to buy a license to take care of the situation of abandoned and lost dogs? Who else would? My real complaint around here is the ferral cat problem and the fact that many cat owners take no responsability for where their animals wander or what they do. Nor do they share any responsability for the ferral cat population! Hmmmm!
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I agree with you on cats touchstone. The owners don't have to buy any tags. They have no type of leash laws. In our town we are not allowed to take action against the cats allowed to wonder and breed aimlessly (not that people don't, but there ya go. People are forced to break the law because cat owner's don't have to live by the same responsibility that dog owners do.) I have seen dog owners actually get the law called on them because their dogs were barking. Why? Because stray cats were taunting them on the other side of the fence.

Yeah, don't get me started on cats........